+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Torn  (Read 3641 times)

triathlete98

Torn
« on: April 28, 2012, 10:57:04 PM »
Now that i have my new hip I am feeling torn between doing tri's again and hanging it up.  Mostly to not have to put the family through "another" surgery and recovery.  I want to compete so bad again but am I chancing it.  These thoughts go through my head daily.  Anyone else in my boat?

ZAP

Re: Torn
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012, 01:58:45 AM »
I assume you got the surgery because you wanted to live life again?     I don't know how old you are, but if you're a triathlete I'd assume you're in great shape or at least know how to get in shape. If you've done your 1 year post op period, I say do what ever makes you happy.  I'm a athlete as well and told my surgeon specifically what I want to do before I had it done and  I got the go ahead.   

I don't know why you feel like you're chancing it?

Aerial

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2012, 08:35:40 AM »
Honestly I think it depends on "how" you do them.  I totally value all level of participants in races.  If you are someone who competes to finish that is one thing.  If you are someone who competes to win that is another thing.  Competing to win usually means more abuse on the body both in training and while racing which may not be worth it after surgery.  However, ultimately it is your choice.  I think there comes a time when most athletes have to to have the "come to Jesus" talk with themselves for one reason or another (injury, age, family, work, expense).  Giving up triathlons doesn't mean you have to give up being active.  There are so many activities out there that are great for a new hip.
Right hip resurfacing with Dr. Gross on 12/5/11!

midiowa

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2012, 09:12:06 AM »
go for it, theres always thr later if thats what ya really want.

Woodstock Hippy

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2012, 12:20:06 PM »
I think it's too soon for you to decide.  Wait until you're back on the bike feeling good, or you're in the pool hammering laps.  Then you'll be able to decide.  Put the Cervello on the trainer and watch the video of Kona.  Don't tell me you didn't record it, I've recorded every one and every Tour de France since the 80's.  See what that does for you.  That said, I'm done with triathlon.  As a good runner who rode my road bike to get around the beach in Florida, I did my first one in 82 or 83; a Bud Light Sprint Series race in Hollywood, Fl.  I had a pretty good race for someone who really couldn't swim, but I was a runner didn't want to waste time swimming.  In the 90's I was racing duathlons. As a pretty good runner, du's were great races.  98; I started to swim and did some sprints and when I heard about IMUSA in Lake Placid I signed right up for the first one in '99.  I spent the next year learning how to train like a triathlete.  I made the move into ultra-running in 2000 but now I loved triathlon.  Raced long course until the injuries started to pile up, then I raced short course until three years ago when the hip doctor at HSS told me I had to stop running because of the arthritis in my right hip.  That was August, in November I did my first middle distance mountain bike race; The 6 Hours of Cathedral Pines on Long Island.  Man was that hard!  Man was that cool!  I think I found my place.  After two years of racing successfully at that race, last year I was in NYU Hospital for Joint disease getting new hips on the day of that race.  I'll be back this year and I'll have another good race!  Next week I can start to run again.  I want to be a good runner again.  I want to try to be the best short distance over 60 runner in New York.  I want to do Xterra.  Xterra still has the feel the triathlon had in the past that seems to be lost now.  Xterra's are hard, Xterra's  are cool.  For me, since the corporate takeover of triathlon by the WTC, I no longer think of triathlon as cool.  But give yourself a chance to recover more before you make the decision.  Then look around.  There are lots of great outlets out there for the needy endurance athlete.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 03:52:59 PM by Woodstock Hippy »
Bilateral, Dr Scott Marwin, NYU Joint Disease Hosp, 11/15/11

David

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2012, 12:36:14 PM »
Hey tri98...
Chancing it is getting out of bed in the morning.
Everything else is just life.
You'll know whether or not you still want to race when you heal a little more.
If so, go for it!
RBHR Dr. Su 8/29/2011
www.jayasports.com

John C

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2012, 06:00:29 PM »
I think that most of us go through that ongoing decision process in regards to our old "self abuse" routines of choice. Rather than throwing in my own varying thoughts, I thought that I would share some of the input from the resurfacing docs.
The bottom line is that no one knows. There was a study a few years ago from Sweden or Finland that showed no adverse affects from heavy activity. More recently, Dr Amstutz who is one of the early pioneers and long time advocates of resurfacing, published a report showing slightly increased revisions that he attributed to high activity levels. I think that the difference was about 4% (remember that this difference could be more like 25%+ with a THR), but he concluded that all resurfacing surgeons should council their patients about the risks of high activity levels. Dr. Gross says that we got these done so that we could get back to the things we love; however, he repeats that no one knows, and it is likely that very high activity levels could affect the longevity for some people. When I told him how hard I intended to ski on my new hip, he said "It's your hip, and you will make a good case study to see how well it holds up".
Like others said, take your time and work gradually back into the things you love, and I think the decisions will take care of themselves as time goes by.
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

hipnhop

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2012, 12:35:13 AM »
C'mon man!!!! Only give it up if you really want to give it up. I know what beats inside you.  That's why we had this operation so we can be active. Of course we can't go as hard as we used to.  Maybe more AquaVelos and only Sprints with some walk/run strategies. its waiting for you.
3/2011 and 2/2012 HR Dr. Craig Thomas

imgetinold

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2012, 02:52:09 PM »
I've never done a tri....although I trained for one in college (but got sick before race day).  I have no interest in much running past a 10K.  But......I really, really want to do the tough mudder, so I'm going to start training as soon as I'm allowed.  I agree....we - or at least I - did this to get back to what I like doing.  You should do the same.
Andy
- Right Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 1/11/2012
- Left Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 10/28/2020

BOILER UP!

ScubaDuck

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2012, 03:30:38 PM »
Tri98-

I read your post when you first published it.  I decided to hold off replying until I thought it through.

I was a serious triathlete years ago.  I gave it up when I started my business but kept running.  I had to give up running following a car wreck.  Then the arthritis started robbing me of even enjoying a nice walk or round of golf.  Granted I didn't know it was arthritis for years.  I had given up the dream of once again running and doing a triathlon.

Then I was diagnosed with arthritis and found out about hip resurfacing.  And read of people returning to the sports they loved.  I once again had hope that I could at least do some running and maybe short triathlons.  Even that is a dream come true.  And I lived that dream a week ago when I did my first triathlon in 21 years.  And placed second in my age group despite only 2.5 months of running.

I don't think it was the sport that brought on the arthritis because my right hip is fine.  I also can't imagine how I could be damaging a metal-on-metal joint that has synovial fluid as lubricant.  Unless there is edge loading the device has such a smooth surface that it will glide.  I believe that I will have this device for the rest of my life.

I am going to listen to my body.  I am also not going to do the insane training regimen I used to, mostly because I am 20 years older now.  But I am going to enjoy life which will mean doing the occasional running race and triathlon.

Best wishes as you find your peace.

Dan
LHRA, Birmingham, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
RHRA, EndoTec, Dr. Pritchett, 12/6/2022
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

Rob6297

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2012, 08:01:50 PM »
Tough decision!
I too was a triathlete...last one in 2008.  I kind of agree with Dan in that I don't believe the racing caused my OA.  I had some pretty major accidents to the right side of my body over many years that I believe contributed to the OA.  The hard part is deciding to dive back in to Triathlon or find something else to focus on that may be just as fun?  Ever tried racing your bike? Aquaman?  Just suggestions or options to think about if you are worried about damaging your hip.  I know I will never due another IM or marathon and I'm fine with it.  Like woody though I have done many mtn. Bike races and may go back to that or just road racing.  There is so much to do, don't beat yourself up about just tri's. Try something new!   If not, good luck in your recovery and I hope you never have a problem doing what your passion is!
Joe Salem
RBHR Dr. Su 4/20/12
Joe
RBHR 4/20/12 Dr. Su and Victoria

Kiwi

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2012, 09:00:02 PM »
My main priority is my family and being able to play with my 3 very active young children, pain free.

"The BHR device was designed to handle high impact". This was the response from my surgeon when I told him last month that I intended to play squash later this year. Most of us here have chosen resurfacing over THR because of our desire to continue to live an active pain free life.
I know how hard squash is on the joints but are still not totally convinced it caused my arthritis - but I reckon it was a key contributor to the degeneration of my cartilage. In saying that the damage is done, I still plan to slowly build up the strength & specifically train so I can play squash again. I do not plan on playing in regular tournaments & competition any more, but all going well I will target one or two a year. Training for torni's is tough & I'm happy to play socially. I'm going to attempt to accept that I am likely to play at a lower grade, but getting the benefits that squash has for my cardio & the sheer enjoyment I have playing is my ultimate goal.
My surgeon said, just listen to your body. If it's begins to hurt then stop for a while. I've got other hobbies like fishing/diving & golf I do, but none of these seem to give me that compact work out in such a short time that squash offers me.

You need to strike the right balance for you & your family.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 09:09:24 PM by Kiwi »
LBHR 11/23/2011
56mm Head
Hugh Blackley (BHR Trained with Ronan Treacy)
Use it or lose it!

hernanu

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2012, 10:56:08 PM »
All true, Simon - excellent post.

Not planning on going back to full contact martial arts (unless someone REALLY asks), but looking forward to doing some flavor of it that plays true with my hips. Same deal with Soccer, basketball, etc. I have good confidence after these last (soon to be) two years that I can listen to my body and pay attention. I want activity, but also look forward to just enjoying life without pain.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Arrojo

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2012, 01:29:16 PM »
Do it.  I am a competetive masters sprinter (100 meter dash, etc).  I fully intend to try again.  For many reasons.  Dr. Su told me there is no reason why I shouldnt be able to sprint again (following recovery of course).  Training for this entails plyometrics (box jumps, other jumping and leaping) and hard core track workouts, which I will begin 12 months after surgery.

Perhaps it can't be done, as some runners here believe (i.e, if you want to run again, slow/barefoot jogging is the only way to go).  Or perhaps I have lost 1 second on my 100 meter dash time (in which case I am no longer competetive).

I'd rather try and fail than never have tried and always wonder what might have been.
Dr. Su
RBHR 4/9/12

Tin Soldier

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2012, 04:17:41 PM »
I agree with both sides of the argument.  Although, something I think we need to consider is that none of us are getting any younger.  Regardless of OA or any other condition, we have to slow down (a little).  Even if I could play soccer at age 42, I'd still likely get overrun and clobbered by a 25 year-old and I'd have to take it down a notch, because I know I would hurt myself if I didn't.  I think the same thing goes for high activity with HR.  No one is saying we can't do the fun stuff we loved to do.  We should just have some moderation to keep your risk decreased.  I'm looking forward to playing soccer again, but I plan to wait the requisite year and I also plan to play with friends at a rec level.

I guess I'm happy with being able to walk and run without pain.  I don't need to go at the same level I once did.

BTW - Nice job Dan on the Tri.     
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

triathlete98

« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2012, 09:57:13 PM »
Dr cleared me for pool and elliptical.  No outside biking until one year post op.  doesn't suggest I run but said wait unti one year anniversary.  Then slowwww.  Wants me to keep him informed if I am going to do IM Louisville.  Said he will monitor hip as best he can during training.  So I have some time to think. :)

David

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2012, 10:02:23 PM »
1 year until outside? Are you the "bubble boy"?
No offense to you or your doc but that's neurotic.
RBHR Dr. Su 8/29/2011
www.jayasports.com

Woodstock Hippy

« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2012, 05:21:27 AM »
IM Louisville, what year?  If he won't let you ride the bike or run outside for a year, that knocks out this year and next.  Including time to train for it, your race would be three years away.

If you are on the elliptical and in the pool, you are recovering on schedule for where you should expect to be.  I think you'll be able to cut the doctor's waiting time to run outside in half and his bike waiting time by more if you promise not to fall off.  Are you on the bike trainer yet?

I'm now starting to run again.  Run/walk almost every day.  The next six months will be for learning to run again (and putting two additions on my Woodstock house) then next year, I lied about being done with triathlon,  I'll be back to olympic distance and xterra to see what I can do.
Bilateral, Dr Scott Marwin, NYU Joint Disease Hosp, 11/15/11

Neild5

« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2012, 02:31:05 PM »
I agree with David, I was riding my recumbent at 4 weeks post op on both hips.  The only riding I would not have considered was BMX and mountian biking as the risk of falling is greater.
50 yo male left Biomet 2/28/11, right BHR 2/20/12

Rob6297

« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2012, 04:04:41 PM »
Ditto to David and the rest.....one year indoors is a bit much. I plan on being outdoors on my bike in 3 months......no pack riding or racing but a mellow ride alone away from cars!
Hope your Dr. Let's you out sooner than a year!
Joe
Joe
RBHR 4/20/12 Dr. Su and Victoria

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat