+-

Advertisements

Welcome Back

The Hip Talk Discussion Forum was hacked a few weeks back. It has taken me a long time to fix it. The only backup I could use was way back to April 2020. All members and posts up to that date are available. Anything newer has been lost. I am sorry, but that has been the only way to get things up and running again.

Author Topic: Incision scar problems  (Read 2001 times)

wriggra

Incision scar problems
« on: April 30, 2012, 04:35:27 PM »
Hi

I'm just under 5 weeks post op and I kept a dressing on for a long time as the wound was still gaping when my staples were removed. This weekend I took the dressing off and now my scar feels weird. I feel numb around the incision, it itches like crazy and today the skin feels hot and uncomfortable. I've got ice on it as we speak as my hip seems a bit swollen.

Just wondering how others got on with their scars healing. Should I use any oils / lotions on it? Sure I've heard people mention massaging the area around the incision? How long until it stops bothering you and starts to feel normal again?

thanks
Grant

brightside

Re: Incision scar problems
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 06:28:57 PM »
Hi--just a bit of my humble opinion.  I am not a doctor.  The numbness around an incision area is normal--some or most of that will go away with time.  Some itching is probably common.  I would have an appointment though and call your doctor--more swelling and red-ness should be looked into .  Usually dressings should be changed more frequently.  Have your doctor look at the incision and for now don't put any lotions on it.

Miguelito

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 07:16:09 PM »
I second Brightside. Have a doctor look at it. "Hot" could be the sign of an infection (I hope not). Do you have a fever?

I am only at 2+ weeks and I am surprised at how much my incision still hurts, but maybe i shouldn't be (this early). I also want to comment on the numbness you're feeling. One side of my incision is pretty numb for most of an inch. I would guess the numbness comes from slicing some minor nerves, and (maybe) it's mostly on one side because the bigger nerve (or whatever) they branched from is on the other side(?).

I hope your problem is nothing, Grant.

Mike
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 09:12:07 PM by Miguelito »
RHR April 2012.
LHR March 2014.

Both Biomet Magnum/Recap 54/48, by Dr. Thomas Gross.

wriggra

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 09:49:36 PM »
The incision looks like it is healing ok. Doesn't look infected or anything. I think it might just be my clothes wearing against the scar after sitting at my desk most or the day that caused the hot feeling. I've got my post op follow up next week so I will ask a few questions then

mslendzion

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 11:51:25 PM »
I'm coming up on 4 months and I still have some numbness around my scar.  I have not been rubbing it as much as I should be, I know.  It still hurts even now, not really bad but on occassion I get sharp pains on/around the scar.  The numbness is getting better and better.  I'm guessing at 6 months it should be totally gone at the rate of healing.  It looks really good, flat and not too thick.  Dr. Schmitt did an excellent job, the scar is about 5 inches and glued shut in the front of my leg.

I started putting mederma and vitiman e oil on the scar after 5 weeks, some start earlier but I'm fearful to touch it.
Left BHR 1/9/12 Dr. Schmitt

hernanu

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2012, 12:31:41 AM »
I'm coming up on 4 months and I still have some numbness around my scar.  I have not been rubbing it as much as I should be, I know.  It still hurts even now, not really bad but on occassion I get sharp pains on/around the scar.  The numbness is getting better and better.  I'm guessing at 6 months it should be totally gone at the rate of healing.  It looks really good, flat and not too thick.  Dr. Schmitt did an excellent job, the scar is about 5 inches and glued shut in the front of my leg.

I started putting mederma and vitiman e oil on the scar after 5 weeks, some start earlier but I'm fearful to touch it.

Hate to bring it up... but roller to break up the scar tissue? I also had numbness for a while that diminished and then went away.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

DGossack

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2012, 04:33:37 AM »
I had sharp pain up until around five months around the incision.  It hurt worse when I had worked out.  My guess was it was the scar tissue tearing a bit.  And the itching was the sign it was healing.

Best wishes.

Dan
LBHR, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

phillwad

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2012, 11:33:06 PM »
Mine hurt, both times, for a few weeks - especially when I stretched.  Does not now and I am 7 months from my second and 14 months from my first - do not think about it at all

Phill

Recent Posts

Re: 9 years later and I think it's time for my other hip by imgetinold
Yesterday at 06:45:07 PM

Re: Need help finding a Surgeon by imgetinold
Yesterday at 06:40:18 PM

Re: 3 months post op with MAJOR problems by ahausheer
September 16, 2020, 05:18:14 AM

Re: Need help finding a Surgeon by ahausheer
September 16, 2020, 05:16:11 AM

Advertisements

Donate Thru Pay Pal