+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: When does range of movement improve?  (Read 1772 times)

wriggra

When does range of movement improve?
« on: April 30, 2012, 12:54:12 PM »
Hi

I'm nearly 5 weeks post op and wondering how long it took people for decent range of movement to return in their operated hip.

Prior to surgery it was my ROM that was my main problem. I did have pain too, but never that bad even though X-rays showed i was "bone on bone". Now I'm recovering and the pain seems better but it hard to tell because as I say, it wasn't that bad pre-op. my ROM is improving every day but as things stand I'm no better than I was pre op. I can't wait until I can cross my left (operated) leg over my right knee!

I haven't got a clue how long recovery and full ROM takes. Would be nice to hear about your experiences.

Thanks
Grant

hernanu

Re: When does range of movement improve?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 03:27:35 PM »
I'm still on my way back to full ROM, but I was close to doing the splits pre-OA, so there are different expectations.

For functional ROM (putting socks on with impunity, crossing the legs, to go over a dog fence at my girlfriend's house while a very lovable mastiff is headbutting and licking you) I'd say... socks - about six, seven weeks, crossing legs easily - about 3 1/2 months, handling loving mastiff - about 14 months, splits... not yet.

I was able to touch palms to the ground with ease at about 6 months, am now stretching pretty far at almost 1 3/4 years.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

ScubaDuck

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
Re: When does range of movement improve?
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2012, 12:36:47 AM »
Wait I can't do the splits either!  I can't even touch my palms on the floor.  But since I couldn't do either for the past thirty years I guess that shouldn't be expected.

My ROM has gotten better as I continue to stretch.  Part of it comes with the dynamic stretching while working out and the other is specific stretches.  I have better ROM on my operated side than I had prior to when my hip started hurting 10 years ago.

It will come if you work at it.

Dan
LHRA, Birmingham, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
RHRA, EndoTec, Dr. Pritchett, 12/6/2022
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz