+-

Author Topic: topographical changes & varicose veins 6 mos post surgery  (Read 909 times)

willsand

topographical changes & varicose veins 6 mos post surgery
« on: April 30, 2012, 04:45:34 PM »
It's been six months since my bilateral resurfacings.  Both calf muscles have dramatically increased in size and both show varicosities.  I had been and still am quite active, with no changes in my body type in 40 years, since age 20 (and no change of activity or diet to account for this).  The varicosities in particular have me concerned.  Anyone else have or heard of such changes?
Thanks,  Bill

hernanu

Re: topographical changes & varicose veins 6 mos post surgery
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 08:19:32 PM »
I hadn't heard of any explicit connection, Bill.

The way I heard it (I am not a medical type, nor will I probably ever be), varicose veins are caused by venous insufficiency or lessened capacity to carry the blood at the right volumes at certain vein junctions in the leg, which cause venous hypertension in the leg veins returning blood to the heart just below the skin. This hypertension is what causes the different types of varicose veins.

There are times when whatever caused the hypertension goes away (pregnancy, ??) and the veins revert to normal. Otherwise, it is treatable, that's why, if you have them, it's good to talk to someone to see whether you have venous insufficiency or not.

The most conservative treatment seems to be compression of the leg, in some portion at least using TED socks like I was made to wear during the first six weeks of my recovery. So it may be that if you do have an issue, it is treatable in a pretty noninvasive (but stylish  8) ) fashion. Even surgical treatment using laser surgery or vein dilation have high success rates (>90%) without recurrence and short recovery times (~10 days?). So it can be treated, especially, it seems if caught early.

As to the causes, it seems that injury to the area where the junction of sub-skin veins and the deep vein at the hip can cause the problem, but identifying the source I guess is difficult to do. There also may be family history involved, sports injuries, etc.

Here's a good source - skip the nasty photographs, doctors seem to like to post the worst with their discussions  :o

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/462579-overview

Hope that helps.

Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

willsand

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2012, 09:04:34 AM »
Thanks, that was helpful :-)

hernanu

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 09:54:43 AM »
Good, Bill - when you find out what the doctor thinks, it would help other hippies to know what came out of it, if you want to post it. Good luck, seems like things are going well with the resurface otherwise?
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

willsand

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2012, 12:28:06 PM »
 Yep, I'll post after seeing a vascular doctor (might be a while...)
Otherwise, mostly good.  Right hip is excellent; left one about 80%.  At six months out, still limited to 1.5 mile hike, albeit at a fast pace.  Hope to be up to ten miles in a year (pre-arthritis level, about ten years ago).
Thanks again,
Bill

Recent Posts

Re: 8 Years Left / 15 Years Right -- checking in by 23109VC
November 23, 2021, 12:06:24 PM

Re: Nadine Soffer 20 Year Update Hip Resurfacing Dr Schmalzreid 2001 by 23109VC
November 23, 2021, 12:03:38 PM

Re: Deciding what to do... by 23109VC
November 23, 2021, 12:02:15 PM

Re: My Resurfacing Journey by LarryBud
November 22, 2021, 08:42:31 PM

Advertisements