+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: What's the smaller incision for? (Dr. Gross patient)  (Read 2930 times)

Miguelito

What's the smaller incision for? (Dr. Gross patient)
« on: April 30, 2012, 05:06:32 PM »
I get what the four (or thereabouts) inch incision was for, but what's the 3/4 inch incision closer to the point of my hip for? It was far enough away from the other incision that it had a separate (round) bandage. Initially I saw the round bandage and thought it was for some shot or something, but when I took the bandage off it is clearly an incision, plus it is taking just as long to heal as the big-guy, so it's definitely deep. What gives? Since Dr. Gross does minimally invasive (and frankly I am amazed at how all that stuff gets done thru such a small incision) is this some type of access hole (for some part of the surgery)that is necessitated by the much-reduced main incision?

Just curious, not a big deal.

Thx,

Mike
RHR April 2012.
LHR March 2014.

Both Biomet Magnum/Recap 54/48, by Dr. Thomas Gross.

curt

• Runner with the cruddy cartilage
Re: What's the smaller incision for? (Dr. Gross patient)
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 06:42:46 PM »
Believe it was for drainage...mine was above my main incision.  Yeah, its pretty big, but considering that the main incision is so realtively small, we got off cheap, huh? 

Curt
51 yr, RHBiomet, Dr. Gross, 9/30/11
happy, hopeful, hip-full

hernanu

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 08:27:14 PM »
On my left, mine was for drainage (mine was below the incision) - didn't have one on my right.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

OtterDriver

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 10:24:52 PM »
I think that's where the doctor says "Oops!" and realizes he/she missed the mark...then starts again!

~8^)

ZAP

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 10:44:00 PM »
The drainage tube didn't feel good when the nurse pulled it out..  :(  I was so happy when all the needles and tubes were out..  :)

ScubaDuck

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2012, 12:30:33 AM »
@OtterDriver-  I was thinking the same thing. ;D

Dan
LHRA, Birmingham, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
RHRA, EndoTec, Dr. Pritchett, 12/6/2022
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

einreb

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2012, 12:46:59 PM »
Its my understanding is that its a pin that is screwed into the pelvis and used as a reference for alignment. As they lay you on the table, your pelvis tilts (notice how mine is tilted in the picture below in the inter-operative picture during my surgery) so its a reference for the cup angle I would assume.  I'm honestly not exactly sure how it is used.

Also, for what its worth... my scar from Dr Gross is 3.5".  It doesnt matter to me as long as it all works, but that's pretty small and I havent heard others mentioning less than 4".

40yo at the time of my 2/16/2011 left hip uncemented Biomet resurface with Tri Spike Acetabular cup by Gross

John C

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2012, 01:13:11 PM »
I cannot swear that this is accurate, but I believe that the small incision is where a small metal post is inserted into the iliac crest for alignment and measurement purposes. It is definitely not related to a drain.
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

hernanu

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2012, 10:59:26 PM »
I think mine was for 10W40. They were brandishing a dipstick around... or maybe it was the morphine.  :o
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Baby Barista

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2012, 12:06:09 AM »
On Dr. Gross' website, it indicates he uses a pin placed in the pelvis along with a wire to help ensure proper leg length. It does not indicate it is for alignment of the cup.
LBHR Pritchett 01/23/12 - 52mm head, 58mm cup
RBHR Pritchett 12/10/12 - 52mm head, 58mm cup

B.I.L.L.

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2012, 01:41:05 AM »
4 inches ? You said 4 inches, like in 4" ?  Wow mine is almost 3x that long. Maybe my doc used a skillsaw, jeezus...

einreb

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2012, 08:43:37 AM »
On Dr. Gross' website, it indicates he uses a pin placed in the pelvis along with a wire to help ensure proper leg length. It does not indicate it is for alignment of the cup.

Interesting!  He lengthened mine by a full cm (the ball had collapsed), and my legs are now even.
40yo at the time of my 2/16/2011 left hip uncemented Biomet resurface with Tri Spike Acetabular cup by Gross

Aerial

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2012, 09:14:00 PM »
Its my understanding is that its a pin that is screwed into the pelvis and used as a reference for alignment. As they lay you on the table, your pelvis tilts (notice how mine is tilted in the picture below in the inter-operative picture during my surgery) so its a reference for the cup angle I would assume.  I'm honestly not exactly sure how it is used.

Also, for what its worth... my scar from Dr Gross is 3.5".  It doesnt matter to me as long as it all works, but that's pretty small and I havent heard others mentioning less than 4".

My Dr. Gross scar is also below 4 inches.  It is about 3.6 inches.  I attributed to being a small female.
Right hip resurfacing with Dr. Gross on 12/5/11!

Miguelito

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2012, 10:15:21 PM »
B.I.L.L,

Is it silly of me to be (slightly) disappointed in how small my scar is (or at least will someday be)?

I go on an annual golf trip and a couple of years ago, after about five hours at the bar, we played the 'ole who has the biggest scar game. I have some okay ones, but one guy (in his mid-thirties no less) had two open heart surgeries years ago and they were B-I-G. Now I still wouldn't beat him even with an 8 or 10 inch scar, but I at least would have been in the conversation.

Mike

RHR April 2012.
LHR March 2014.

Both Biomet Magnum/Recap 54/48, by Dr. Thomas Gross.

B.I.L.L.

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2012, 02:17:12 AM »
B.I.L.L,

Is it silly of me to be (slightly) disappointed in how small my scar is (or at least will someday be)?

I go on an annual golf trip and a couple of years ago, after about five hours at the bar, we played the 'ole who has the biggest scar game. I have some okay ones, but one guy (in his mid-thirties no less) had two open heart surgeries years ago and they were B-I-G. Now I still wouldn't beat him even with an 8 or 10 inch scar, but I at least would have been in the conversation.

Mike

I think that's a game I'd prefer to lose  ;)   

Remember the scar is only as good as the story that goes with it. If their not impressed with a four inch scar tell them that you got shanked while doing a stint for manslaughter and aggravated assault, that should shut em up  :D

Tin Soldier

« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2012, 04:24:10 PM »
Gross is known for small scars.  I think other surgeons probably like having a little more space to work with.  It's obviously not hampering Gross because he has excellent numbers and is an excellent surgeon.   

Remember the scar is only as good as the story that goes with it. If their not impressed with a four inch scar tell them that you got shanked while doing a stint for manslaughter and aggravated assault, that should shut em up 

Nice one B.I.L.L.  I agree it's not the size of the scar that counts, it's the story.  I got two 6 inchers to tell you about. 
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

Aerial

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2012, 10:09:34 PM »
Hey I am all for the less than 4 inch scar!  I'm stoked about a beach trip to Florida next week and just found out only a tiny bit of the scar pokes out from my swim wear bottoms!  8). Opps should clarify that I am female and not a male in a tiny speedo!
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 10:10:25 PM by Aerial »
Right hip resurfacing with Dr. Gross on 12/5/11!

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear