+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: RBHR on the 15th May 2012  (Read 1966 times)

Rach41

RBHR on the 15th May 2012
« on: May 02, 2012, 04:38:43 AM »
I have posted earlier regarding my forthcoming operation.  Just have a question really for other people who have had the operation.  I have suffered with my hip for about 10 years (I think my problem stems from two car accidents I have had).  I am now having a Right Hip Replacement (Birmingham) with Mr Woodnutt in Morriston Hospital, Swansea.  I suddenly developed a numb right foot about 9 years ago and had tests but all came back negative.  Also if anything cold touches my right leg eg water my body takes it as pain!!!  Have again had tests and all came back negative.  I was just putting 2 and 2 together and thinking maybe this could be because of my hip problem.  Just wondered if anyone has had anything similar.  Just thinking if it is my hip how strange it will be not to have a numb foot or when something cold touches my leg not to hurt! lol Still scared of operation but so looking forward to getting better and having a decent nights sleep lol.  Also I was under the impression you were non weight bearing after the operation but after reading everyones stories it sounds like you use your crutches more for balance.  I know my pre surgery booklet has said the Surgeon will let you know how much weight to put on etc.

Rach  :)

Accis right hip resurfacing on 15.05.2012 by Mr Woodnutt, Morriston Hospital, Swansea

jjmclain

Re: RBHR on the 15th May 2012
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 05:07:51 AM »
Rach,

Pre-op I had numbness in my foot, shin, pain in my knee and leg...all as a result of my hip. It all went away post-op. Funny thing is that I had one doctor tell me it was all in my head! It was the same one who told me to deal with the pain and wait until I was much older and get a THR. I am so happy I found out about the BHR and feel like I have been given a second chance. Good Luck to you!

June

hernanu

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 07:37:56 AM »
Hi Rach, I had all sorts of issues (back, knees, sciatica, REALLY tense muscles, shoulder issues, foot pain) that cleared up after the surgery.

I had OA for seven years, and my poor body had probably developed all of these trying to make up for the pain and imbalance. There's no guarantee that yours will clear up, obviously, but consider that your body has been under attack for ten years and compensating for it as best as it can.

I went into my surgery with no ancillary expectations, just wanted that pain gone. I not only got that, but the other issues disappeared over time. It was like hitting the lottery then winning every scratch ticket for months.

Just go for the OA release, then enjoy other blessings from it as and if they come.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 07:39:19 AM by hernanu »
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Rach41

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012, 08:31:35 AM »
Oh thanks for your replies.  Yes I think it must be my hip (well hopefully it is lol).  Looking forward to being free of pain as at the moment I am sitting here on my laptop typing this and I am in constant pain :(  I am a bit worried about "training" for this operation as I haven't been able to and dont sound half as fit as many of the people on this site! I practised getting off my sofa yesterday with my surgery leg straing OMG how hard is just doing that lol!  :)
Accis right hip resurfacing on 15.05.2012 by Mr Woodnutt, Morriston Hospital, Swansea

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2012, 10:06:39 AM »
I had a numb leg at the time of my initail injury that I believe caused my torn labrum which led to my HR. It went away after a while though. Good luck with your op I'm sure you'll have a great result.
Danny
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

hernanu

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2012, 12:17:47 PM »
I wouldn't stress about not doing pre-op exercises.

For those of us who can do them, they're valuable, but if you can't, you still can recuperate well. The important thing is doing the post op exercises/walking/healing activities. Pre operation, sure - if you can do some things do, but I was more focused on getting myself mentally ready and my environs ready to be crutch / new hippy friendly.

You can scout areas where you could walk afterwards that are flat, plan activities for when you're in early recuperation, pre cook meals, etc.

Your fitness will come as you do your post op exercises; if you can do something before, its a positive, but not required and definitely not anything to stress over.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Boomer

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2012, 12:38:47 PM »
I am having my second hip resurfaced shortly after you. I am working on building my upper body strength. I had a torn rotator cuff which left me very weak prior to my first resurfacing. I had to wiggle around like a worm, which left me exhausted. I'm doing a lot of weight lifting and core floor exercises now to get stronger. I encourage you to work on strengthening your upper body as well.

Good luck to you on your upcoming procedure. Don't stress about it. You're going to be better very soon.

Boomer
RBHR with Dr. Rector on 11/30/2011
LBHR with Dr. Rector on 6/11/2012

Tin Soldier

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2012, 04:43:39 PM »
Rach - I had numbness in my quad on my left leg, I also had shin and knee pain which I thought was more nerve picnh related than anything else.  I think it's pretty common to have some numbness because of the pinchiness with the extra bone in the joint and also the inflammation.  All of that was instantly gone within a day or so of surgery.  You'll do just fine with anesthesia.  I was pretty nervous both times, but it all went very well. 

Boomer - Good job on the second hip.  Another success story (Rach you might like this one too), I comfortably cross my legs now when sitting.  Feels good and I get a little stretch, but no pain.  Both sides and I'd forgotten that that was just something I didn't do for the last few years.  It's taken some time to get the ROM back, though.  I don't mind, I just assume that I'm on a continuum to become another Cirque Du Soleil performer.   8)  It just takes time.   
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal