+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Blood work and MRI request  (Read 2380 times)

shipnc

Blood work and MRI request
« on: May 06, 2012, 09:13:10 PM »
Hello Everyone,
      I'm coming up on the 2 year anniversary of my BHR (Dr. Masonis, Charlotte, NC) and have been following the news on MOM device problems only casually since everything is going fine with me.  (I won the NC state 65+ tennis singles title last year!)  I was somewhat surprised, therefore, to receive in the mail a letter from the doctor advising me to have a lab blood test for metal ions and also an MRI!  I have my annual checkup with him this week so will certainly address this request with him, but before I went, I thought I would get up to speed with my sufface hippy buds.  Looking back over previous threads, I saw some reference to FDA required blood tests for metal ions....is this now a requirement?  If not, is it advisable to have this blood test anyway and what numbers are "normal"?  What do you do if the numbers are not normal?  And what are you going to see on an MRI that you wouldn't on a routine xray?  Finally, will Medicare pay for these tests?  As I did while I was preparing for and recovering from my BHR, I will rely on the experience and wisdom of this invaluable resource to give me honest and unbiased information.  Thanks!

obxpelican

Re: Blood work and MRI request
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, 11:01:20 PM »
Don't worry about it, if your hip is feeling good and yours sounds like it's doing really well your ion levels will probably be good.

I just had mine done a month or so ago.

This all comes down to if your surgeon got the cup angle correct and/or you did not get an ASR in most cases your metal ion test will come back fine.

BTW, I was not aware of any "required" FDA ion test, many doctors are having their patients do that on followups so to prove that MOMs are good unless you have those aforementioned problems.

BTW, Congrats on that tennis championship, very impressive.

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

B.I.L.L.

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2012, 01:53:00 AM »
Me personally ? I'm done looking for problems, if it starts to bother me thats a different story but until then I'm hoping to avoid hospitals, x-rays, mri's, etc...  Unless it starts holding me back, I don't wanna know  8)

(knock on wood)   
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 01:55:03 AM by B.I.L.L. »

shipnc

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 09:42:40 AM »
I like the way you think!

B.I.L.L.

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012, 12:36:25 PM »
I like the way you think!

Hahaha I have enough problems, no need to search more out  :)

Neild5

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2012, 02:34:33 PM »
My surgeon wants to do a blood test 18 months after my first hip and every 18-36 months after that.  He expects to see the levels slightly elevated the first time as the RS parts seat in and then level off to normal levels.  I would question the need for the MRI unless the blood tests are really high or he sees something fishy on the xray.  MRI's are expensive and time consuming so why do it unless there is a problem.
50 yo male left Biomet 2/28/11, right BHR 2/20/12

hernanu

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2012, 05:59:53 PM »
I may ask for one on the 2 year 'versary, just to know what my levels are at that point, but my angles are good, etc.

Seems like overkill when you're feeling good, but I guess I'm curious.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

obxpelican

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2012, 06:19:43 PM »
I've read where other surgeons expect the elevated levels the first year, now I wish I would have had my test done earlier.

Chuck

My surgeon wants to do a blood test 18 months after my first hip and every 18-36 months after that.  He expects to see the levels slightly elevated the first time as the RS parts seat in and then level off to normal levels. 
Chuck
8-6-08

mslendzion

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2012, 08:45:32 PM »
I asked my surgeon when I should come in for a blood test for metal and he said he does not do tests unless the patient is having issues.  I'm not sure I like the reactive approach but if there are elevated metal ions, then what?
Left BHR 1/9/12 Dr. Schmitt

obxpelican

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2012, 09:16:09 PM »
If you are elevated then more x-rays, possibly MRI to determine what is causing the elevated ions.

Some people get some really bad reactions to metal ions.

Personally I think it's good, I think all doctors should do this as a way of pulling in enough data to prove the MOM and it's longevity.

You can always ask for one.

Chuck
Chuck
8-6-08

cwg

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2012, 03:37:07 AM »
I have high levels, more than 10 times the recommended/safe levels, and its been 5 years since my BHR. They started testing me around one year ago, or so.
And the  first test was done for random reasons.

Don't go and get tested for no reason. Get tested if you have new pain or weird things, but not just "because".**  I am quite fine, even better , since the blood work. I work out more, since the blood tests, because I felt I had nothing to lose. It has served me well.

I think it is RIDICULOUS to have blood work testing, if there are no problems / symptoms

BTW my angle is in perfect position, and xrrays and ultra sound are all good.

Relax and enjoy if it feels good!

ScubaDuck

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2012, 02:28:55 PM »
I can see your point, cwg.  I think Dr. Pritchett told me that he doesn't do blood tests unless there is some other signs such as pain to warrant it.  I am torn on whether to be tested.

Dan
LHRA, Birmingham, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
RHRA, EndoTec, Dr. Pritchett, 12/6/2022
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

obxpelican

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2012, 02:38:38 PM »
I think it's a good idea to test and x-ray every 2 years.... CWG if I had high levels I would be seeking out 2nd, 3rd or 4th opinions to see why your levels are high.  At least like Bill you would know what is going on if something happens and your hip health goes south.  Knowing for instance if your cup is not seated properly is good to know and in the end it would be your decision whether or not to even act.  I will say that I told everyone if my ion levels came back high I would have not done anything unless an MRI showed major tissue destruction.

Also, I think if every doctor did a 2 year post-op ion test we would know for sure if indeed MOM is a viable option for the future or if possibly some other material is more appropriate.

We've had other patients post that their doctor said their cup angle was perfect only to have them get a 2nd or 3rd opinion and find their cups at 60 degrees + or their antiversion way off.

Chuck
Chuck
8-6-08

Baby Barista

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2012, 11:28:33 PM »
I believe Dr. Pritchett's exact quote to me when I asked about metal ion testing was: "Would you pull the dipstick on your transmission to check if your motor oil is dirty?" It's why he prefers to aspirate synovial fluid directly from the joint and look at it.

As he explained, the general population has widely varying levels of various metallic ions in their bloodstream. And furthermore, getting a good reading from a blood test is very difficult and more often than not, the specimen is contaminated. He said the only way to get something of an accurate reading, would be to monitor a person's ion levels for a few years prior to surgery and compare those numbers to readings post-surgery. It's a very similar protocol to how doctors view PSA tests. Rarely are they compared to a chart, rather your own previous PSA levels.
LBHR Pritchett 01/23/12 - 52mm head, 58mm cup
RBHR Pritchett 12/10/12 - 52mm head, 58mm cup

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat