+-

Advertisements

Welcome Back

The Hip Talk Discussion Forum was hacked a few weeks back. It has taken me a long time to fix it. The only backup I could use was way back to April 2020. All members and posts up to that date are available. Anything newer has been lost. I am sorry, but that has been the only way to get things up and running again.

Author Topic: Hip Drs in DFW area  (Read 2120 times)

shananagins

Hip Drs in DFW area
« on: May 09, 2012, 06:21:41 PM »
I am new to the boards and am in the prelim stages of looking at Drs for my hip. I have arthritis and have been using a chiro/DO for pain management which has worked up to this point. It seemed like within a short span the hip finally cried uncle. I definitely want to make sure any Dr I go to does both totals and resurfacing so I get an honest opinion of what my best options are. I am under 50, in decent shape (would be better with a more cooperative hip) so I believe resurfacing should be in my options. Has anyone here had experience with DFW area Drs? I am near DFW airport so either Dallas or Fort Worth are viable. I have one appt scheduled with Dr Paul Peters in August, but don't want to limit consults to one Dr. Dr Crofford at Texas Hip and Knee was another I was considering. Any info good or bad would be greatly appreciated!

imgetinold

Re: Hip Drs in DFW area
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 07:37:56 PM »
Welcome, shananagins.  You're definitely in the right place.

Right here at SurfaceHippy.info is a list of doctors who perform HR.  In Texas, the doctors are:

http://www.surfacehippy.info/listofdoctors.php#Texas

Now.....as you read more about resurfacing, I think you'll learn that your likelihood of a successful outcome increases dramatically with the experience of the surgeon.  All those listed in the Texas list had 100+ resurfacings.  Several of them trained with McMinn in 2006/2007.  So....even assuming that their number is maybe 200 resurfacings, that means that they perform  less than one per week.  My take-away from that is that they prefer, or are more proficient at THR's.  I went originally to Dr. Smith in Atlanta, who was also on the list in the 100+ category.  He no longer performs them and is not on the list currently.  In my consult with him, he said he did both, and that either was a good option for me.  Right there I learned he was not a big advocate of the procedure, and I didn't want to have a surgeon who's go-to device is a THR.

Many, many people have traveled out-of-state to go to the best doctors, as did I.  Granted, Dr. Gross is 3.5 hours from me, but many others travel long distances to go to the best.  Many fly to India to have surgery with Dr. Bose, or to other countries to go to the other top surgeons. I would suggest that you do your research on the devices, the outcomes, and the surgeons, and decide what YOU want to do.  Surgeons will steer you towards what THEY are good at, not necessarily what is best for a young, active patient.  Read more here, and you'll see that is the case.

Good luck.  Remember:  experience...experience....experience. 

P.S.  Dr. Gross (and others) will give you a free phone consult.
Andy - Right Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 1/11/2012......GO BOILERS!

shananagins

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 08:30:56 PM »
Thanks ima! I actually found this site while searching for info and a coworker also told me his Dr sent him to this site (who is in Kansas City). I did use the list of Drs on this site, have done other searches for those Drs and Clinics and reached out to friends who have dealt with Orthos. I am steadfastly staying with my thought process to go to the Dr that best suits MY HIP needs, not one that does hips too. I have made an appt with Dr Crofford in June (Dr Peters in August) but had hoped that someone here has had experience with some of these TX docs. I am finding this site very helpful in my search and decision to go this route.

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012, 08:42:15 PM »
Hi
You are young and should have a hip resurfacing if possible.  Dr. Crofford and Dr. Weeden are both experienced in hip resurfacing.  If you are considering hip resurfacing, only an experienced hip resurfacing surgeon will give you a good consult.  Regular THR surgeons usually do not like hip resurfacing since it is a much more diffiuclt surgery to do.  Since they can't do them, they always suggest THRs which they do.  So many people have not been able to rely on the THR surgeons alone when they want hip resurfacings.  I always suggest only using hip resurfacing surgeons that do a lot of them for the best outcome - that suggestion is based on national registries outcomes, other surgeon's  suggestions, medial studies and reading thousands of personal hip resurfacing stories. The most important piece of the selection puzzle is choosing only surgoens that are very experienced in hip resurfacing.  They also do THRs, but generally want to give resurfacings to younger, active patients when they can.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

shananagins

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2012, 10:36:11 PM »
Thank you Pat! I really appreciate your comments and back up. I have some friends who don't really understand the difference and don't get why I am just not walking in for a hip replacement. I called one ortho office that has lots of knee referrals from people I know and they do hips, but nowhere on their website is any mention of resurfacing. I called just to ask if any of their doctors did resurfacing and the front desk didn't know. Cross that one off the list. I wouldn't have known anything at all about Dr Crofford or Texas Hip and Knee if it wasn't for your site. I have printed your list of "things to ask your surgeon" and intend on knowing what and why I am asking these questions when I go for the consult. An acquaintance used Dr Peters for a THR (he also does BHR) and I want to find out why she didn't do a BHR instead of a THR. Dr Cook in Kansas City did a coworkers BHR and his information has also been valuable. I know this site will be a valuable tool in the before during and after process. Thank you for your time!

Figs

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2012, 03:03:49 AM »
I also live in DFW and am having a problem with my right hip.  I had an appointment last year with Dr. Weeden who does THR and BHR.  I am 54 and he said a BHR would be possible for me.  I have not spoken to anyone who had hip resurfacing by Dr. Weeden but have spoke to others who had knee operations and were very happy with him.  Still have not decided if I am ready for surgery but hip resurfacing is what I would want to do.

hernanu

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2012, 03:08:48 PM »
Welcome, Figs... You're at the very start of this, this site is a good place to be to support your decision.

Take a look at the doctor list, the questions to ask the doctors, read different hippys tales and ask any questions you need to. We'll be glad to help. Haven't dealt with Dr. Weeden, maybe others have and can help. You want to know how many HRs he (or she) had done, how many per week, who he/she trained under, and whether the preference is for total hip replacement (THR) or hip resurfacing (HR). Also, what pain management approach is used after the surgery and any restrictions.

All of these (and more as listed by Pat in one of the sections that support patients) will help you make the decisions when you think the time is right.

Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Figs

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2012, 02:06:03 AM »
Do most people wait to get surgery when they are in a lot of pain?  I am not in much pain but can not run anymore and had to give up tennis and softball.
Walking short distances is ok but walking a lot will bother me and I walk with a limp most of the time.  What I am wondering is how much better would I be and would I be able to run again and do the things I used to about 3 years ago?

hernanu

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2012, 04:32:52 PM »
If you read a lot of the stories here, you'll find that the folks (like myself) who waited until there was blinding pain wish that they had done it earlier.

There is no bonus for waiting until you are incapacitated, in fact there is a bad side to waiting - it can damage the bone so much that a resurfacing is no longer possible and a total hip replacement is the only option. 

The true indication of whether you need to have it done or not (as I've read, and I think) is the presence of OA. In my case, I had lost all of my cartilage on my left hip and most of mine on the right, was bone on bone with bone spurs on both and the head of the bone was beginning to deform. Even the pro THR surgeons looked at my XRays and told me it was time to go. I had convinced myself that the pain wasn't too bad and kept doing athletics until my left hip started dislocating.

In other words, I was in denial and thought I'd rather put up with pain than face the facts that I needed surgery. If you get valid opinions of your XRays, and respected surgeons tell you that you need the surgery, then to my point of view, there is no reason not to have the surgery, go through the recovery and not buy into that downward spiral of pain, depression and limitations. If you are giving things up, limping all of the time and having trouble walking, you are in the chute for this; one thing we all know is that it does not get better and there is no treatment to reverse it.

I'm not a medical person, so the best I think you can do is to send your XRays to surgeons on this site that will give you a free opinion, then see what they think of your situation. They are very busy and do not need the extra work, so no trolling for patients here; several are some of the top surgeons in the world, and will give you the straight scoop.

Good luck. Personally, I wouldn't wait - why waste years putting this off when the surgery is highly (96.4%) successful and even more so in the hands of an experienced surgeon. It is your decision, though and we all went through the process. The best of luck to you and keep in touch.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 06:17:00 PM by hernanu »

shananagins

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2012, 04:53:59 PM »
My pain had been tolerable with some pain management treatment (not big on prescription pain killers, I still use panlor prn but very rarely 3X daily as prescribed). Now my pain has increased, not what I would call blinding pain but enough that I curtail my activities on occasion due to excessive walking. I am altering my gait to take off some of the pressure which I am sure is not good on the rest of me. At this point, I think I will do more damage by waiting than not. I have an appt with Dr Weeden in June and will be anxious to hear what he has to say. I have many questions ready! I am like you Figs, thinking there will be a "better" time. My pain frequency and level increased quite dramatically in recent months but friends of mine have commented on how much I must hurt for years. I think I have adapted to the pain to this point, now its getting my attention. Since I am refraining from participating in activities I enjoy, planning my pain management before I go anywhere and think about my hip almost all the time now, I think now I have reached the "better" time. Two weekends ago I was in enough pain that if I could have scheduled surgery for Monday I would have. Rest and some anti inflammatories brought me off the ledge and I don't want to be there again. Not fun.
 My thoughts are now considering "cemented vs uncemented" which would mean Dr Gross and travel vs here in DFW. It will be much easier to have it done in DFW for many reasons but I have not ruled out Dr Gross. Good luck Figs, let me know how your decision making progresses!

Figs

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2012, 04:25:05 PM »
I have been riding a bicycle a lot and I seem to be getting some physical therapy benefits from it.  Also trying to lose weight and get in better shape before the inevitable surgery.  I don't want to wait until I am in blinding pain though.  The plan right now is to go back to Dr Weeden some time this year and see how it compares to last year and decide then.  Shananagins, I would be interested on how you do with Dr Weeden.

Figs

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2012, 04:04:30 AM »
Shananagins, did you meet with Dr Weeden?  I have been having trouble getting an appointment.

hernanu

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2012, 03:32:58 PM »
Shananagins, did you meet with Dr Weeden?  I have been having trouble getting an appointment.

Hi Figs, have you considered going outside of the Dallas-Fort Worth area? There are some good alternatives if you're not able to get in with that doctor.

There is a good list of doctors here along with their statistics (how many HR's they've done). This is a type of surgery that fits into traveling, I know many people here have traveled and then recuperated under local care without a problem.

Doctor's list: http://www.surfacehippy.info/listofdoctors.php

You want to get the most experienced surgeon possible to do your surgery, so if the local doctors are not available, you might want to think about traveling to another area (Dr. Rector in Boulder, CO comes to mind having done more than 500 HR's).

You want to have this done right and with the most benefit to you.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 03:25:47 PM by hernanu »

imgetinold

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2012, 06:47:46 PM »
Figs,

I did not wait until I was in blinding pain.  I would have periods of intolerable pain mixed with periods of no pain.  I could still occasionally go for a 3-4 mile run.

But, the "bad" periods were getting more frequent, and the "good" periods less.  I gave up tennis, which would definitely set off a "bad" period.

I'm 11 months out, and am 95% back.  I can do bootcamp-style workouts, including anything short of running.  That will come in time. 

So, I am an advocate for NOT waiting.  Good luck.
Andy - Right Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 1/11/2012......GO BOILERS!

Figs

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2012, 06:07:12 AM »
Waited 5 months for an office visit and it was canceled and not rescheduled. Said they would call next year.
Thinking about going out of state.  Looks like you fly in then fly out a few days after surgery. Any idea how follow up work?
imgetinold, You went to Dr Gross? How was your experience? He uses uncemented Biomet?

patrick_d

« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2012, 01:27:38 PM »
Hi Figs -

I drove 4 hours to go down to Dr. Gross and I know several people on this forum flew into Columbia, SC (or nearby) so Dr. Gross could do their hips.  My experience with Dr. Gross, his staff, and the hospital he uses was outstanding and I think you find that to be the case with nearly all of his patients.  Also, be sure to check out the latest videos that Pat just posted of interviews she just did this week with Dr. Gross.

Hope that helps.  I am sure others will chime in too.
Dr. Gross 14-Nov-2012
Biomet Recap - Right Hip
41 yrs old at surgery

Recent Posts

Re: 9 years later and I think it's time for my other hip by imgetinold
September 17, 2020, 06:45:07 PM

Re: Need help finding a Surgeon by imgetinold
September 17, 2020, 06:40:18 PM

Re: 3 months post op with MAJOR problems by ahausheer
September 16, 2020, 05:18:14 AM

Re: Need help finding a Surgeon by ahausheer
September 16, 2020, 05:16:11 AM