+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: 4 days post op...  (Read 2257 times)

akat01

4 days post op...
« on: May 13, 2012, 12:43:55 PM »
Had surgery wed at 730 am. Was home friday afternoon at 2. Had first at home pt session yesterday. I am still using pain meds to get through day. Yesterday evening i was able to take a short walk with 1 crutch. Didnt sleep well so at 5 am took meds and went for a bit of a longer walk also with one crutch. Took a shower and did all exercises that pt left me with. I then laid down for about 2 hours. I started feeling antsy so decided to go for another walk. This time i was able to leave crutches home. It wasnt a long walk. Maybe 200 yards. Came back packed myself in ice and am relaxing awaiting 1 st pitch of yankee game. Is this trying to much too soon. And seeing how im able to do a few things w meds, should i ditch meds alltogether even though i may not be able to do as much and see where i am without them.

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: 4 days post op...
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2012, 01:06:18 PM »
Why are you walking without your crutch or crutches?  I am sure your surgeon did not tell you to do that.  If you want to have a revision, a femur neck fracture of permanent limp - just keeping walking without any walk aids.  I don't care how you feel in your mind - you are 4 days post op.  No one heals in 4 days.  It takes 4-6 weeks before most people are off crutches - the it takes six months before you are turned loose for most normal activities then it takes a year before you can run. 

I think you are not even thinking straight yet if you are 4 days post op.  The meds are still in your body and brain. I would politely, suggest you take it easy and listen to what your doctor tells you.  If you had the anterior approach, then maybe your post op regiment is different, but if you had posterior approach, I would take it easy if you want ot keep that hip resurfacing a long time without any problems.

Don't mean to sound mean - but this does not sound like a very smart move on your part.  I want to make sure new patients don't read this and think they should walk without aids at 4 days post op.

Good Luck.  Stay in touch and please think about my message before running around like you never had surgery.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2012, 01:22:04 PM »
Dude i have to aggree with Pat. If you had a fall or a slip you could ruin your new hip and that would be a real shame. Your femour will not be at full strength for 12 months and i believe gets weaker all the time up till 12 weeks when it starts to get stronger again. At 6 months femoral neck fractures dont happen. But day 4 dude thats too soon to be walking with no aids.
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

akat01

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2012, 02:27:27 PM »
Im not a computer guy and i guess its for this reason. Because in the end i dont realky like getting advice from strangers. Im not an idiot. I was given no post op restrictions.  I was told to listen to my body. I have no 90 degree restriction and was told crutches as needed. I believe dr su sends his patients home w same instructions. I wasnt out running a marathon. I waljed diwn my block. I appreciate all the "advice" ive gotten from this site. But im 40 not 4 and certainly dont need to b spoken to like im 1 of your kids. Good luck w your 9 min miles and your 50 miles a day on the bike. Btw....neither of you were my doctor nor were u anyones elses so go eady..

obxpelican

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2012, 02:42:05 PM »
When your doctor says listen to your body he also means that if you are in so much pain that you need to be on pain meds you should not be pushing it.

I know of nobody who had miracle recoveries that were out pushing themselves while they were on pain meds.

The advice you got IMHO is good advice, if you are not smart enough to listen maybe this forum is not for you.  You came here for advice and support, if you do not like the advice from some educated people then move on.

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2012, 03:47:48 PM »
Im sorry if you think that i spoke to you like a 4 year old that wasnt my intention. However i stand by the advice that Pat and I gave you. I too had ''no post op restrictions'' but i wouldnt have walked or gone any where with out a supporting aid for a good while after the op. You only walked down your block not a marathon very true but what happens if youd tripped over and landed on your operated side? Well it could break your femoral neck, could damage the fragile blood suply and result in necrosis down the line. Theres obviouslly loads of other things that could go wrong also. As you say im no doc ive never even wanted to be one let alone pretended to be one. But these things do require a degree of common sense and using your aids will reduce all the risks and give you the best chance of a great out come! Who wants to have a revision?? Why risk it when you really dont need to?
Anyway hope your recovery goes well.
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

shananagins

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2012, 05:08:18 PM »
Akat,
Unless I read your post wrong, you asked if walking without crutches was too much too soon. You got an answer from those who walked before you, wether you listen to those answers is up to you but when you ask, you should expect to get an answer whether you like it or not. I am in the prelim stages of looking at hip surgery (1st dr appt on June 6th) and I am using this site as a sounding board, question generator, and a guide to what awaits me down the road. I am not a marathon runner, a bicycle junkie or yogi master, but all who seem to be on this site are traveling down a similar path no matter where they started. My body will be different just as yours is, but lessening the complications is my goal. Considering all the different topics, concerns, successes and suggestions on this site, I think it will be in my best interest to learn from those who have traveled this path before me, including you. I think walking unaided at 4 days post op is to soon and I know nothing. I do know that those who love and care for you will want the best recovery possible for you and I bet that will include some restraint even when you don't think you need it. Be careful on this recovery road, I hope you do very well and heal quickly. In the meantime, give your body a chance to do its thing so you can get back to doing your thing, be it marathon running or going to a ball game with your family. Happy and healthy healing to you.

obxpelican

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2012, 05:56:42 PM »
Where I have problems is that he's medicating himself so he can push it, no, you feel better, you push it, of course once you are off pain meds.

Your pain should tell you something, don't mask it then go and push it.

I am not saying that his recovery won't happen, for all I know it will be but pushing it so soon could lead to a nasty revision surgery, something nobody wants.

Chuck
Chuck
8-6-08

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2012, 08:31:54 PM »
akat01

If you don't want advice - then don't ask for it.  If you act foolishily, then we will tell you.  No, I am not a doctor and never said I was one.  You asked and I told you what I thought.  I have been reading thousands of stories since 2005.  My BHR is 6 years old.  I go to many hip resurfacing courses and know the top surgeons.  I interview the top surgeons about what to do and what to expect.  There is most likely no one of the 3000+ folks on this group that know more than I do about hip resurfacing.  If you don't want my opinion or others on this group then I would suggest you move on.  There are other groups and I can tell you every one on them will give you the same advice I and others gave. 

If you are going to act like a child, then we will give you advice as a child.
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

lori.36

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2012, 10:50:04 AM »
Atak01,
Welcome to the otherside of hip resurfacing.  To answer your question, yes I would lay of the pain pills before being to aggresive with PT.  I was 37 when I had my surgery and was off all pain medicines except for Celebrex and OTC Tylenol (and do forget the beloved shot for blood thinning) :o
I would ice and walk.  I rented a game ready icing machine that ran for 20 minutes, when that completed its cycle I would then for a walk.  I was able to walk really good.  I was down to one with the first at home PT, i was young and strong and just healed fast.  I was using one crutch for 3 1/2 weeks before I could move to the cane without limping.  I really thought I would move to unassisted faster, but was unable to do it without limping.  I would walk to a room without aide a little, but really waited for my limp to disappear.
In regards to being treated like a 4 year old, I hear ya, I hate being told what to do also.  Another thing that is nice about being in a group forum, is that you can take it with a grain of salt.  I agree with Pat, to take it easy, and listen to your body.  So when you walked that far were you limping?  I am so happy that you are feeling great, and to answer your question, if you are feeling that great wheen yourself of off the meds.  I hope that you stay and look for advice, because this group has helped my like no other.  Best of luck
L-BHR 5-11-2011 Dr Rector
R-HR 9-11-2015 Dr Gross

hipnhop

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2012, 06:59:29 PM »
Anybody read "How to Win Friends and Influence People" by Dale Carnegie? I heard it was a good book.
3/2011 and 2/2012 HR Dr. Craig Thomas

jb46

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2012, 08:58:36 PM »
He is only 4 days post op and still on pain meds so maybe "cutting a little slack" would be okay(and maybe I'm feeling guilty for walking 2 miles at 3 weeks post op tomorrow).
Breathe everyone...in/out/in/out...all better now. We all want the same thing, a successful surgery and recovery...for ourselves as well as for everyone else...next I'm going to break into Kumbaya (sp?)...jb

obxpelican

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2012, 09:40:24 PM »
Yes, I've been there done it, but the guy flips out when 2 people including the owner of the site basically said the same thing.

People need to learn how to accept the ideas/opinions/educated opinions (pat)  that they are given, nobody said he had to follow them and everyone else agreed with us too. 

There is never a need to get snippy, when you start getting snippy we simply remove you, sorry but that's the way it is, this is not a democracy here, but rather a support group, if you do not like the support given then find another forum.

You'll find the reason this site has few problems is that Pat has zero tolerance for drama queens.

Chuck

Anybody read "How to Win Friends and Influence People" by Dale Carnegie? I heard it was a good book.
Chuck
8-6-08

obxpelican

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2012, 09:44:06 PM »
No, sorry, the guy was wrong, he was given sound advice and to me if you need pain meds and then go out and push it you are not doing any favors to yourself.  He was told to listen to his body, well if he is on pain meds then is body is saying rest and take it easy, not to go out and push it 4 days post op.

I'm sorry, but we just simply do not accept drama queens who cannot accept kindly advice.

This thread is now closed

Chuck

He is only 4 days post op and still on pain meds so maybe "cutting a little slack" would be okay(and maybe I'm feeling guilty for walking 2 miles at 3 weeks post op tomorrow).
Breathe everyone...in/out/in/out...all better now. We all want the same thing, a successful surgery and recovery...for ourselves as well as for everyone else...next I'm going to break into Kumbaya (sp?)...jb
Chuck
8-6-08

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz