+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Anyone deal with staff infection in their home before surgery?  (Read 6267 times)

Dee Dee

Hi!  I am new to the board.  My hip resurfacing is scheduled next week with Dr. Gross.  My question comes from a recent experience in my home.  My 19 yo son had a MRSA attack ( he is prone to them and most likely a carrier) and fought his last infection with 4 packings, 2 antibiotics and lots of rest over 5 weeks.

I of course was freaking out about all this, and cleaned his area of the house and the kitchen very well.  Fortunately he moved out last week because he and a friend were ready to go it on their own.    No one else at home has had any boils since his infection started, but the kids have all had one within the last 2 years. I did the Bactriban protocol for decolonization.  Dr. Gross office said to wash with hibiclens for 3 days before surgery. 

After reading about infections on this site, I thought I would see if anyone else dealt successfully with avoiding staff even when it was present in the home.

Thanks

Surgery 5/23/12 with Dr. Gross

50 yo homescool mom of five, not an athlete but very flexible since I did acrobats as a kid
finally diagnosed with labral tear and oa after 5 years of pain, rom loss and unexplained buckling
arthroscopic repair ruled out by 2 doctors
Local Ortho doc said I wasn't ready for THR
Thank God for this site and new choices
Right HR  5-23-12  Dr. Gross
Left HR 12-5-12 Dr. Gross

hernanu

Re: Anyone deal with staff infection in their home before surgery?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2012, 09:21:08 PM »
Welcome to the site, Dee Dee! I haven't dealt with that, but I'm sure someone will have some advice. Have you talked to Dr. Gross's office about it?
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

ScubaDuck

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2012, 11:56:30 PM »
See if you can find Staph-a-septic.  It kills 99.9 of staph.  It is made by a small company here in Oregon.

MRSA should be getting more press and so should Tec Labs and their product.

Best wishes.

Dan
LHRA, Birmingham, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
RHRA, EndoTec, Dr. Pritchett, 12/6/2022
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

moe

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2012, 03:38:18 PM »
Have you been tested? I think you can be a carrier and not know it. I remember being tested with a nose swab about 2 weeks pre surgery. Good luck, moe
Bi-lateral, BHR, Dr Marchand. 7-13-09

Dee Dee

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2012, 04:23:47 PM »
Got the Technu antiseptic at Walgreens. I will ask Dr. Gross about using it post surgery.

My general Dr said he could test me to see if I am a carrier, but he wanted me to do the protocol anyway so we skipped testing for now.  I have not had any boils, only the kids.  But I know I could still be a carrier.

Since I did the protocol with Bactrbian, and my  MRSA carrier son moved out, I am feeling less stressed.  I will use the Hibiclens wash as suggested by Dr Gross and pray that all goes well.

Thanks for the comments and advice. :D

Surgery 5/23/12 with Dr. Gross

50 yo homescool mom of five, not an athlete but very flexible since I did acrobats as a kid
finally diagnosed with labral tear and oa after 5 years of pain, rom loss and unexplained buckling
arthroscopic repair ruled out by 2 doctors
Local Ortho doc said I wasn't ready for THR
Thank God for this site and new choices
Right HR  5-23-12  Dr. Gross
Left HR 12-5-12 Dr. Gross

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Yesterday at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz