+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Any one NOT an athlete and had a HR?  (Read 7891 times)

Dee Dee

Any one NOT an athlete and had a HR?
« on: May 19, 2012, 12:17:50 AM »
 ;D
I see so many posts from very active people, but would love to hear from some who do NOT run marathons or do yoga or ski down hill.  Any average overweight happy housewives out there who needed a hr due to some oa and a labral tear? 

My activity is yard work, laundry and running errands for kids.  I used to be in acrobats as a kid so I am very flexible until my rom was stolen by pain. 

I make the joke that when the pain made it horrible for s*x and shopping then something needs to be done!!!!!  ;)After 5 years of searching for answers, lots of dr and pt, I found this sight and felt like there was hope for me. 

I could use some encouragement.  Surgery is 5/23 with Dr. Gross.

Rach41

Re: Any one NOT an athlete and had a HR?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2012, 02:10:17 AM »
Me! I am not an athlete. I needed my hip resurfacing done because 20 years ago I had a nasty car crash. I used to do karate as a kid and sometimes my right hip used to play up then. When we are young having this op the cause is that u were either athletic or traumor I am unfortunately the latter. I have suffered with my for 10 years with it gradually getting worse. However feel like I have been given a second chance so will be definitely getting more active. Good luck on the 23rd!

Rach
Accis right hip resurfacing on 15.05.2012 by Mr Woodnutt, Morriston Hospital, Swansea

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2012, 09:24:39 AM »
Hi

I can't give you a real number, but my guess in only, maybe 25%, are real hard core athletes.  Sorry if I am offending anyone, but if you are not a pro or semi pro - it is for fun.  Only a very few women were into running or karate, etc.  Hip resurfacing is for the normal person to stay active while not loosing a large hunk of your femur bone, not having a long stake pounded into your cut off femur bone and not having any restrictions while having a natural gait.  It has many positive effects on your body and you don't need to be a big time athlete. Anyone that walks is being active and can use a hip resurfacing.

So although there are many serious athletes with hip resurfacing, most of us are normal joes that like to have some fun in the sun.  Now - all you golfers, bikers, martial arts, tennis players, horse riders, mountain climbers, weight lifters, etc. etc. etc. - don't get mad at me.  You are serious about your sports, but not paid money to do them. ;D

We all can benefit from hip resurfacing.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Tim Bratten

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2012, 09:45:11 AM »
Hi Dee Dee
When I got my revision surgery in Belgium, one of the many patients getting resurfaced by Dr. De Smet was my roommate in the hospital room who was a 68 year old man (not particularly athletic). He recovered marvelously from the surgery and was walking with one crutch a few days after. His wife was a heavyset women who had previously had both hips resurfaced by De Smet. The older of the two surgeries had been done more than eight years earlier and she was very happy with the results. 

If you look here, in the first picture they are the couple on the left (i.e. the couple on my right):

http://surfacehippy.info/hiptalk/photos-surface-hippies-pets-and-environment/hip-surgery-can-be-fun-medical-tourism-in-gent/
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 10:22:56 AM by Tim Bratten »
Botched LHR by Dr. Vilicich 06-17-2010 revised by Koen De Smet 02-14-2012
RHR Koen De Smet 02-05-2014

Spanielsal

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2012, 10:09:44 AM »
Hi Dee Dee, you've just described me! Had one HR, unlikely to get another but still trying. Having problems with my first HR but I think I'm just difficult. With dysplasia, suspected metal allergies and other stuff. I had 9 years of great mobility and no pain. Check your metal sensitivity but otherwise don't hesitate. Good luck! Sal
I'm a Hippy Hybrid!  L HR Cormet 2000 - Mr Villar, 12th June 2003 and R Corin mini hip - Mr Villar 7th August 2012

Dee Dee

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2012, 04:51:57 PM »
Thanks for the encouragement .   :D Surgery is tomorrow. Dr Gross seems very confident that I am ready for this surgery (bone on bone and possible mild displasia) and that my weight is not enough concern to prevent me from proceeding.  I will be taking fosomax because of my  >30BMI to help protect from fracture, but my bone density is good for now so I can be 100% weight bearing. 8)

I am a little worried about the drive home to Alabama. I just wonder about keeping the pain under control since I have OA in my neck and back also and I will be off my Diclofenec for 2 weeks more. My hubby booked another hotel and broke the trip up so I won't have to be in the car for 7 hours straight.
Left HR 12-5-12 Dr. Gross

Anniee

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2012, 08:31:35 PM »
Best of luck tomorrow!  You have picked a wonderful surgeon.  I don't think you have to worry too much about the drive back to Alabama.  You will still be on pain meds, and many people have driven much further than from Columbia to Alabama after the surgery without problems.  I hope you will have the PolarCare machine on the trip - it will help a lot with controlling pain. 

PS - I am not an athlete, although I'm very active.  I was 65 years old last year, when I had my surgeries.  I had very few problems with recovery, and pain was very manageable.  I was off the strong painkillers by the 4th or 5th day and walking with one crutch or a cane less than a week after surgery. 
Annie/ Right Uncemented Biomet 4-20-11/Left Uncemented Biomet 10-12-11/Dr. Gross

metoo

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2012, 09:00:10 PM »
I am 6 days post surgery and was also apprehensive about travelling home. I travelled on Sunday and did not have any problem in the car.  We rented a minivan in Columbia and had a Ford Explorer for use in Colorado.   The trip was about 2 hours in the car and 3.5 hours in the air.  I did have some swelling which took about a day to subside.  Do you have a way to cool/ice your leg while in route?

I can remember being fairly comfortable both in the car and on the plane.   The only time I had pain was getting in and out of the car or up/down from the bed or chair.  I was so much more comfortable when I got home.  The bed was a little to soft at the hotel and it was hard to get up out of bed. 

Best Wishes.   
Right hip.  Dr Gross, 5/16/2012

Hippyliz

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2012, 11:00:24 PM »
I'll be thinking of you tomorrow, Dee Dee - you will do just fine! Dr. Gross is brilliant and his team has the entire process down to a science. Please let us know how you are doing as soon as you can! I am at 4 months post-op now and completely pain-free! I am not a hard core athlete...I followed Dr. Gross' instructions to the letter. He has tons of data to back up his orders, and it has all worked out beautifully for me. I get teary thinking about the new life this surgery opens up for people who have been suffering in silence for years. Best wishes!!
47 yrs, LHBiomet, Dr. Gross, 1/16/12

hernanu

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2012, 09:59:00 AM »
Good luck today, Dee Dee!
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Spanielsal

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2012, 11:59:54 AM »
Hope it all went well!
I'm a Hippy Hybrid!  L HR Cormet 2000 - Mr Villar, 12th June 2003 and R Corin mini hip - Mr Villar 7th August 2012

momy16

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2012, 12:51:19 PM »
Hi,

When you say some OA and labrar tear what do you mean, at what level. Are you bone on bone? You sound like me. I'm not an athlete but I would like to be more active. Why it took so long for you ( you said 5 years). I've been in pain for almost 5 years.

Thanks!

Dee Dee

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2012, 07:04:56 PM »
I did it!  It was nice to wake up with no pain, unlike the hysterectomy 3 years ago which was awful.

Surgery went well. Evedently my weight was not an issue. Dr. Gross told my hubbie fortunaley i have very strong bones but that I had hip dysplasia which patially accounted for my extreme flexibility and probably caused the deterioration to bone on bone.  I will post my whole hip story later.

I wanted to walk and stretch so at 4 hours post op I took a little cruise down the hall.  It felt so weird but good to be up even, for a short while.

Unfortunately, the pain kicked in once the epidural wore off and I have to wait for more of the fast acting meds. (on extended release)  it shouldn't be too much longer.  :o

this sight has been such a wonderful resource. :)

Right HR  5-23-12  Dr. Gross
Left HR 12-5-12 Dr. Gross

lyn

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2012, 09:05:02 PM »
I wish you a speedy recovery...lyn

David

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2012, 06:40:51 AM »
Congrats Dee...
RBHR Dr. Su 8/29/2011
www.jayasports.com

Spanielsal

« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2012, 09:14:02 AM »
Well done, Dee Dee! Take it slow and steady with your recovery. Life is on the up! X

Dan L

• LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2012, 09:32:03 AM »
Congrats for your new hip, and hope you have a boring and uneventful recovery.  Ice will be your best friend, stay ahead of the pain, meds when needed as prescribed, and follow the restrictions and other discharge instructions, and you'll be doing great in no time.

Best wishes,

Dan
LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012

imgetinold

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2012, 10:54:43 AM »
Congratulations.  The trip home will be fine....just take the pain meds on schedule, like clockwork.  Don't let the pain "get ahead of you".  It won't take long to wean off them.

Welcome to the other side.
Andy
- Right Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 1/11/2012
- Left Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 10/28/2020

BOILER UP!

hernanu

« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2012, 12:18:25 PM »
That is great Dee Dee. You're getting good advice, just be patient and positive, keep us posted when you can.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Tin Soldier

« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2012, 04:00:38 PM »
Good job DeeDee.  BTW - there are lots of folks here that don't run marathons/triathalons or do other intense enduro sports.  I'm really active but I chose HR so that I could run, if I wanted to, or play soccer, and also to do yardwork, ride my bike for a few miles, or simply walk without pain.  You'll be much happier with this behind you.

Also there's a lot of support here if you have questions about recovery and anything HR.   
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal