+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Pain/range of motion lifting knee towards chest  (Read 4491 times)

VancouverWA

Pain/range of motion lifting knee towards chest
« on: May 19, 2012, 01:33:09 PM »
I am now about 11 months post-op (right hip, Birmingham).  I'm able to walk easily (longest is about 7 miles), climb stairs, and sit comfortably for long periods.

However, I still have one nagging problem: When I lift my leg up (i.e. getting into a car or lifting my foot up on a chair to put my sock on) I experience pain, stiffness, and limited range of motion in what seems to be my psoas tendon (or at least in this area).  Once I get my foot up onto a chair/bench and stretch my leg past 90 degrees, there is no pain other than the muscles stretching.  The pain happens when I'm lifting or lowering my knee up or down.  It also hurts (same psoas-like symptoms) when I sneeze.

Can anyone shed some light on this?  Is there exercises or stretching that can help this issue?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 01:49:19 PM by VancouverWA »
Right BHR 07/27/2011

Luanna

Re: Pain/range of motion lifting knee towards chest
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2012, 10:40:42 PM »
It sounds like your tendon is rubbing against either the femur head or the cup. I have something similar.

My surgeon told me to keep exercising as this does seem to help and that it does go away sometimes as late as in the second year of recovery.

I'm finding pilates classes really helpful as well as stretching out the psoas and adductors with simple stretching exercises. Also, working on the IT Band with a rolling pin really helps. It's getting lots better and I'm thrilled to know that it will disappear completely over time.

Hope this helps.

Luanna
RHR 8/30/2011 - Dr. Pritchett - Stryker Trident Shell /X3 Poly liner acetabular cup. BHR head.

phillwad

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 08:08:06 PM »
I got myself a hard foam roller for streching, especially the IT bands - and it has helped

VancouverWA

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2012, 11:15:24 PM »
Are these similar IT band stretches/exercises to what you (the collective you) are doing?

H T T P: / / runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=6099&PageNum=1

Thanks for the feedback; I am so thankful I found this website prior to my surgery! 
Right BHR 07/27/2011

hernanu

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2012, 09:56:14 AM »
They are similar to the ones I'm doing. Since you're pretty far along, I guess all would be good. The first three I would stay away from early on (until about 8 months?) , since they seem to be approaching the same motion that was used to dislocate the femur during the procedure.

I'm at 17 months / 14 months, so I feel pretty stable in all fronts, but still take it easy with those movements. The rest of them are pretty similar to what I've done since about two months in with the physical therapists.

The side leg lifts in particular were difficult at first, I am now doing those with 5 lb ankle weights as part of ongoing exercise. The rolling is exactly right, it is (I think) great for IT health, but does take some getting used to - don't get discouraged by the 'twinges' from it, you get used to it.

Also, just as a good overall core exercise, do the 'dead bugs' exercise. It is very good for overall core strength, just again, you won't be able to do a lot at first.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

VancouverWA

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2012, 10:24:00 PM »
Perfect, thanks Hernanu; appreciate the advice!
Right BHR 07/27/2011

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat