+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: 5th day post op  (Read 1647 times)

Rach41

5th day post op
« on: May 19, 2012, 04:09:30 PM »
Just a quick question, I had a ACCIS hip resurfacing prosthesis not the Birmingham as stated. Is it normal to feel that yr operated leg is a tiny bit too long. It could be due to swelling having the confidence to walk straighter with yr crutches or that I have been walking for too long with a limp and it now feels strange to put weight on it.  Also did anyone who used a risen toilet seat find that when they sit tentatively to go that they then have to get up as yr hip doesn't like it!!! And u have to wait a moment for the feeling to pass? I am hoping it's all normal!

Also still got the staples in until Monday and I suppose sitting down will be a lot more comfortable. I know you all mention icing but I wasn't. Got an ice pack and I am tempted to try it. Do you just put it on yr wound, obviously in cloth and not straight on it.

Thanks Rach
Accis right hip resurfacing on 15.05.2012 by Mr Woodnutt, Morriston Hospital, Swansea

Woodstock Hippy

Re: 5th day post op
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2012, 04:14:34 PM »
Congratulations on day 5.  I'll be you always wanted to be a little taller.  Really, I think it's probably just swelling and stiffness.  Keep moving, keep icing and af course keep posting!
Bilateral, Dr Scott Marwin, NYU Joint Disease Hosp, 11/15/11

WTW15

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2012, 04:50:29 PM »
I felt that way too.  Like 3 - 4mm but noticeable.  I am at 17 wks now and it's a lot less noticeable, even though I think I still feel it.  I have the BHR but I think it can affect any of the devices.  I chalked it up to swelling at first, and now I think it was a little bit of that and the other part of compensating before surgery with limping and just my pelvis adjusting to the problem hip. 

Congrats on Day 5.  All that everyone's posted is probably starting to really sink in about now.  Yup - it's tough at first, but every day gets a little better! 
Successful LBHR 1/19/12 Dr. Cynthia Kelly
Fear causes Hesitation and Hesitation causes your worst Fears to come true

kamoynsgi

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2012, 05:07:52 PM »
Contratulations Rachel.  Been to Morriston Hospital a few times in the last few weeks and was hoping all had gone well for you.  Keep up the recovery

Ka
L Hip Resurfaced 9 August 2012

mike1966

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2012, 06:50:09 PM »
Hi Rach,

I'm now 7 weeks post op. You are describing exactly how I felt in the first days and weeks after the op. My operated leg felt longer. I think I might have been leaning my weight onto the non operated side, making the operated leg feel longer. It doesn't feel that way now, length feels normal. It took me 10 days to start to feel mildly comfortable on the raised toilet. I found that it helped me to sit very slowly, taking my weight with my hands and to sit with the operated leg straight. Again, all is good now. I iced regularly and had very little swellling. You should definitely wrap your ice pack in a cloth that insulates it from your skin. I used reusable ice packs and also always made sure i worked to dry the outside of the plastic so condensation from the ice pack wasn't getting into my wound as the pack warmed against my skin. This was with infection in mind. I began to start to feel like myself again after about 7 days. The experienced members on the forum say all the time that everyone heals differently and there are ups and downs. I found them to be correct. At seven weeks, I'm now working on getting strength and flexibility back, every stage has it's challenges but what you are describing is absolutely normal.

All the best, mike
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 06:55:30 PM by mike1966 »
LBHR 2nd April 2012 Dr Van Winden

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat