+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Upper body workout  (Read 1540 times)

krpedm

Upper body workout
« on: May 21, 2012, 10:40:27 AM »
I posted the other day about being 12 days into post-surgery and received some excellent advice. What about beginning an upper body workout with light weights with repititions? Obviously I'm getting ansy about staying active.

Woodstock Hippy

Re: Upper body workout
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 10:55:50 AM »
Absolutely, do your upper body work.  Keep everything moving. Keep the blood flowing.  It will keep you happy and help with all your other recovery exercises.
Bilateral, Dr Scott Marwin, NYU Joint Disease Hosp, 11/15/11

stephen1254

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 01:31:50 PM »
My doctor allowed light upper body weight work at 2 weeks, and I did bench presses and chin ups. At 4.5 weeks he turned me loose on all upper body weight work.
RBHR Dr. Callander 3/27/12

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 01:55:14 PM »
Upper body work outs seem fine to me. But I would take certain precautions like not packing up any weights while being supported by your legs. Roll plates and dumb bells etc just make sure that you don't put much weight through your repairing femur.
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

phillwad

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2012, 08:02:58 PM »
I have been doing upper body weight training since my friend took me to the YMCA while I was still on crutches and could not drive.  Start with light weights and just get the body used to moving - I did that for a couple of weeks and felt silly in the weight room.  Now I am at 80% and hold back enough not to be "silly" and risk to much.  I had my second done in Aug 2011 and am holding off any leg work for a year (Doc's orders)

I have also added a bunch of CORE work that is paying off - well worth switch off each day - strength, CORE, stretching; repeat

imgetinold

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2012, 11:31:16 AM »
I agree with all that has been said.  Use machines, or benches, or whatever so that the operated hip/leg is not supporting the weight.  And, I was cautioned NOT to do a machine that requires you to hook your knees under a pad to keep you down (like a lat pulldown).  Other than that, let-er-rip.
Andy
- Right Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 1/11/2012
- Left Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 10/28/2020

BOILER UP!

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat