+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: 8 weeks post op and a little nervous  (Read 5803 times)

LAB123

8 weeks post op and a little nervous
« on: May 21, 2012, 05:10:03 PM »
I'm about to hit the eight week mark and for the past week have increased the walking some, (up to for miles or so a day, split between morning and afternoon walks) had a couple of sessions on the elliptical trainer, and continued swimming. Just last two days my hip seems more sore than it had been with a couple of fairly sharp pains and a general swelling and achy feeling. Dr.'s office says I probably just overdid it on the exercise.

Anybody else experience is symptoms like this at this point? The x-rays taken a couple weeks ago for my six week review apparently looked perfect. What if anything should I be worried about? Assuming the implant is in the right position I guess there's not much that can go wrong except soreness from pushing the soft tissues too hard?

As always thanks for all the advice and feedback from this great community.

Larry
Dr. Gross, left hip, 3/28/2012

hernanu

Re: 8 weeks post op and a little nervous
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 05:39:18 PM »
Definitely, Larry - you're getting to that magical 'I'm feeling so good I'll push it a bit' mode. The aches and pains are just your muscles getting back into the flow of things as you ramp up the challenges. There is also scar tissue to deal with and other dynamics for both your hips mechanically and your soft tissues.

You will be the best judge of when you've overdone it, and you may suffer setbacks (I know I did) for a while yet. I was still feeling some setbacks as far as 8 months out. The good thing is that you'll progress so it will be three to ten steps forward, one back.

If you're concerned, just talk to your surgeon, but this is normal and part of expanding your activities as your healing really kicks in. I think you're good, but as with the rest of this recovery, patience with your healing body is the key. Rest, Ice, take some tylenol if you need it, you've got a good ways to go, but the path becomes much lighter.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 05:41:08 PM by hernanu »
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

David

Re: 8 weeks post op and a little nervous
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 06:00:39 PM »
It's normal Larry...
At 8 months...still pushing the envelope and get the same feelings...
Keep at it, but when you feel pain...STOP...and wait for another day...
D.
RBHR Dr. Su 8/29/2011
www.jayasports.com

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat