+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Any Surface Hippy GOLFERS out there?  (Read 22178 times)

encore

Any Surface Hippy GOLFERS out there?
« on: March 30, 2008, 03:54:29 PM »
I am almost into my 4th week post op of having my right hip resurfaced. Golf has been my passion for the past 38 years (since I was 5 years old!) and though I have managed to incorportate other sports and activities into my lifestyle through the years, golf has remained my friendly and competitive choice of sport. I am a 4 handicapper and am quite anxious about turning on that right side when I start swinging a club again, not to mention firing that hip through impact at some point! Are there any golfers out there who could offer up some optimistic feedback?

My recovery has been fairly boring other than some pressure and tightness in that right hip when stepping forward. I am walking unassisted around the house already but take the cane along when I do my walking exercises for support. I've only had a couple of problems due to over doing my PT (which I think has caused the pressure and tightness). I did try and take back a wedge from the address position in our livingroom yesterday but was abruptly stopped at an abriviated point at the top by severe pressure/tighness accompanied with a good bit of pain in that hip. I'm definately not ready to swing a club any time soon but would like to hear from golfers out there on any level about their recovery experience from hip resurfacing. I thought I would start putting and pitching at the range in a week or so and hope to swing without too much pain or discomfort in a few weeks... Am I being overly optimistic? Any input and feedback is much appreciated.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2008, 02:59:43 PM by Pat Walter »

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Any Surface Hippy GOLFERS out there?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2008, 04:18:09 PM »
Hi

Glad you are having a good recovery.  I am not a golfer - sorry.

What does your doctor recommend as far as returning to golf?  He is probably the best source of info about your timetable to playing again.

Here is an article from my Hips for You website with the following quote for a THR

Many of these surgeons did recommend a three-to-four month healing period after surgery before returning to golf. Starting slowly with easy chipping and putting was recommended before returning to full swing play

http://www.hipsforyou.com/jointreplacementgolf.php

That's the best I can do for you.  Good Luck.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Mr_Tillie

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2008, 01:25:16 PM »

I can only speak for myself on this one. I to am an avid golfer and had a BHR done 2 years ago. My sugery was on June the 6th and i started playing again the middle of Sept. You will want to take it easy at the start and your body and hip will give you the feed back as to how hard you can swing. The lack of pain has once again brought back the full enjoyment of golf.
  Good luck and Hit it down the middle.
Walk...what a way to travel!!

Tarhoo2

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2008, 09:54:45 PM »
Encore & Any Other Golfers Out There,

My story is out there enough by now, I think (basically bad pain for the last 7 years and two BHR's in the last 5 months).  But I too was a big golfer until my hips started yelling at me.  I really miss my time on the range and golf course and look forward (can't even express how much) to getting back to it.

Last Friday at my 4/5-week follow-up to my second BHR, I asked my doc what I could expect with regard to my return to golf.  He suggested that I could putt and chip in June and start to swing as comfortable.  He agreed that my "plan" to start swinging a club seriously by July-August and playing September-October is probably realistic.

I am a "rightie" and am more concerned about turning on my left hip, which was done on 12/18/07, than my left (done 4/4/08).

I would really like to hear about other people's experiences so far.

Thanks all.

encore

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2008, 11:47:44 PM »
Tarhoo & the other golfers,

I am back to playing full rounds since Dr. Gross placed this noncemented Biomet onto my right hip on March the 12th of this year. I'm pushing my clubs on a good Sunmountain cart which rolls smoothly with little resistance and I'm back to the low 70's again! And my group thought they would have an advantage when I returned... I'm not sure what Lee or Dr. Gross would say to my getting back to this so soon, but I was instructed to allow my hip to guide me back into playing again. Though my swing is about three quarters the speed and power of what it used to be, it's not affecting my scores or the fun I'm having. Even turning against that right side is okay with no problem whatsoever. I'm sure that left hip of yours will heal fast allowing you to get your weight transfered so you can fire through the ball.

As far as any problems I'm having: Only when I over do the walking and/or elliptical trainer for several days in a row do I get pain in the joint even after being on my feet for a while. It comes back as that old "pressure" and sharp feeling pain in the joint but after a few days of down time it goes away. I'm still afraid of the "fracture factor" or loosening of the device itself, and taking it easy is very difficult when you're running on pure excitement most of the time just because it's great to be without pain again for the most part. My wife has to constantly keep me in check with reality as well as having to remind me of Dr. Gross's warnings because of my wanting to over do most everything already. It sure is fun though...

Good luck with that hip... and your game. It'll come right back and you'll be cranking through the ball again very soon.

Tarhoo2

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2008, 07:11:41 AM »
Thanks, folks.  Looks like my plan is fairly consistent with others' experiences.  I can hardly wait to get back out on the golf course!  Don't know if rounds in the 70's are likely, but I sure would like to be back in the low-mid 80's.  Best to all the hippy golfers out there and, as they say, "swing slow and play fast!"

cnolan

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2008, 06:15:08 PM »
I had a left HR done on 1/30/08 and played my first 18 on 4/26.  Not a pretty sight.  I think the left hip is slightly more impeded in the golf swing, at least it was for me.  I am no single digit handicapper, but for me inside 3 months was a bit too soon.
I have subsequently played about 4 more rounds and have walked one of them.  No pain and performance has improved dramatically since that day in April (it was also about 45F and windy).
If you are working with a PT post-surgery ask him/her for some stretches you can incorporate.  Also, FYI my PT recommended a number of balancing exercises that were quite helpful.  He had a styrofoam half tube (flat on one side, round on the other) that I would balance on with the round side down for as long as possible - maybe 20 seconds.  Sounds easier that it was.
Good luck with your recovery and your golf game.
Chris Nolan
Chicago
Sheinkop 1/30/08

Tarhoo2

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2008, 11:18:09 PM »
Fellow hippy golfers,

Just an update.  Chipped and putted yesterday for the first time yesterday (after BHR's on 12/18/087 and 4/4/08).  Also hit some (30-40) balls on the range (SW, PW and 8-iron).  Chipping and putting were not bad at all.  Was able to swing on the range at about 1/2 - 3/4 normal swing, with minimal turn -- mostly arms -- low, boring shots, but pretty good contact.  I was tight, but there was no discomfort.  A full turn will have to wait awhile, but I'm confident I will get there.

Spoke with my old instructor today for the first time in quite awhile.  He has worked with 12-15 people who have had hips redone.  We'll get to work after I've had a chance to swing easy on the range a few more times.  I was pretty sound fundamentally before, but hope to use this as an opportunity to refine my swing even further.  Perhaps I'll even learn to play "within myself."

I look forward to continuing to hear of others' experiences.

Jim

encore

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2008, 09:15:18 PM »
Jim;Chris;Tarhoo2;& other Hippy Golfer's,

Keep up the hard work towards returning to the course and back to your game! I thank God every day for the progress I've made and my ability to play a game I've enjoyed so since a young age. The resurfacing is also allowing me to gradually get back into other activities that used to be such a big part of my lifestyle and well being. 

I'm taking my 18 y.o. son to TPC Sawgrass later this week and look forward to walking the Stadium course by his side on a resurfaced hip... for a few rounds!

Regarding PT and recovery; Dr. Gross sent me home on 3/14/08, two days after my surgery, with PT instructions to be followed on the honor system. He also gave me a different set of exercises at my 6 week post op. Everyone recovers differently, but I feel comfortable stating as fact that these are most important to follow for a successful recovery. Especially if you plan on getting back to a sport or activity of any kind. I still find myself lying on my back in front of the TV doing leg raises. Since I am now reaching my forth month post op, I have incorporated a Kettle Bell routine for strength and muscle endurance to go along with my elliptical training 3 - 4 time a week. I always loved working out in a gym, but since the resurfacing I've had to refrain from going back to any typ of exercise that places too much weight on my hips. I interpret "too much weight" as anything more than 30 Ibls. The Kettle Bell I'm using is a lighter one by most any training standard at a measly 20 Ibs., but if the exercises are done properly non-stop for 20 - 30 minutes, it will absolutely wear you out. The particular movements I'm doing are with the upper body only and place only slight strain on my hips, but they do work my core very well (which helps with that golf swing) and really gives me a great cardio work out.

Guys... Keep it up. I know that I've been very fortunate in my speedy recovery, but don't give up the faith. It'll come with time, patience, and hard but careful work.

Fairways & Greens,

Jeff
Alabama

Tarhoo2

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2008, 09:42:12 PM »
A quick update for other hippy golfers who may be following this part of Athletes' Corner.  I went to the driving range this afternoon (in 95-degree weather), after walking 3+ miles in 45 minutes and watching the end of the British Open (or, as they say across the Pond, "The Championship"), and taking care of a few chores. Anyway, I hit about 100 balls and was pleasantly surprised to find I could make a full turn on my left hip (I am a "rightie").  Once I realized I could turn and smoothed things out, I was quickly back to hitting my 7-iron 150+ yards.  Not too bad for being very out of shape.  I think I may actually be ready to play a real round of golf again soon ... for the first time in 2-1/2 years and without pain.  Life is good again.

Kevin H

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2008, 08:01:17 PM »
I had left BHR done 12/06......I was able to play in the spring of 07......shortly after surgery i developed pain in my groin which has not gone away....this discomfort creates a feverse pivot problem - most shots go right and I hit a 7 iron about 110 yards - Doctor Su says the pain I have is not a problem - I am right handed and have trouble making the correct turn swinging....when you drive the ball 180 yds its very difficult to score.........

Mr_Tillie

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2008, 07:26:39 PM »
  Well I'm back to reply to your post just 2 1/2 years from my first post. I'm now going to have my other hip done in 3 weeks. My golf game has had its ups and downs over this time. Working my game back to a respectable form and then having my other hip take it back down was definitely discouraging. Time and more work will be needed to play back to my 4 handicap again.

RUSS H.

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2008, 11:24:16 PM »
I just had my left hip resurfaced on dec.2.  I was told i can't play golf for 6 months.  I want to go to Florida in March and that'ii be 3 months.  He said I could swing lightly with irons and putt and chip.  But what is with all these people that say they are golfing in 6 weeks?  I feel pretty good now , but i'd be afraid to swing thru the ball.    russ

John C

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2008, 09:12:01 PM »
I was talking to a friend today who had a THR at about the same time that I had my resurfacing. She went out on the golf course at about three months, and the doctor told here to just chip and putt. She ended up dislocating her new hip, and it took four doctors in the hospital to put it back in place.
Two lessons here; be glad that you have a resurfacing with a minimal chance of dislocation, and if your doctor tells you to just chip and putt, listen to him.
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

obxpelican

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2008, 09:43:45 PM »
John,

Was she right handed or left handed, and which hip?

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

Mr_Tillie

« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2009, 05:30:23 PM »
 Well Chuck my first hip (LEFT) resurfacing was the 6/6/06 and i was playing in 6 weeks. Being Right handed i turn over on my left hip on my follow through. I had no pain and was hitting my driver father then before my sugery. Now i have had my right hip resurfaced and i think this will be easier to wing the club as i just have to prace againt my right and fire through on to my left side.  Thats the plan for the 16th of March anyway. As for disslocating is consured ... dont overdue what your body is telling you it can do!!! and it will all be fine.

Mr_Tillie

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2009, 10:57:38 AM »
 Just wanted to update my post about golfing 8 weeks after my second BHR. Everything went well, but my game needing some work. I played in the 80s for most of my rounds with one 75 thrown in. I'm looking forward to spring and getting my game where it should be again after years of pain and discomfort.

obxpelican

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2009, 11:04:30 AM »
Hey Mr. Tillie,

Are you normally a scratch golfer?  I'm usually in the 90s, low 90s and some 80s sprinkled in, one time I played an 80. 

I had thought the left hip if you are right handed would be harder to play post-op.

Glad to hear you're doing so well, if you play a little better maybe you'll turn pro?   ;D

Keep up the great rehabbing a great golfing.

Chuck
Chuck
8-6-08

Mr_Tillie

« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2009, 08:16:04 PM »

::)Sorry no plans to turn pro. I'm just content to play and not have any pain. I found the right hip resurfacing was easier then the left. Maybe it was because i new what to expect and had a reference from the first one. ;)

obxpelican

« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2009, 10:12:21 PM »
Hope you par the rest of the Summer.

Good luck

Chuck
Chuck
8-6-08

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Yesterday at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone