+-

Author Topic: Which surgery?  (Read 1214 times)

mhiller

Which surgery?
« on: May 23, 2012, 06:21:02 PM »
I have now seen three doctors and gotten all very different reactions to my X-ray of my hip. (I am a 52 year old active women)
Dr. Lannin says that I'm a good candidate (although I have hip displaysia) but doesn't think women should have hip resurfacing and recommends a THR. 
Dr. Schmalzreid thinks I'm a bad candidate due to my displaysia and femur head anteversion and thinks I should have a THR. 
Dr. Cox thinks everything looks great and I'm a good candidate!

I chose all these doctors because they advertise hip resurfacing or I know someone that has had a hip resurfacing with them or they are very experienced .

Probably if I hadn't talked to Dr. Schmalzreid I would be ready to go with the resurfacing.   Because Dr. Schmallzreid has done 1000s of resurfacing I think he sees something the others don't.  He's worried about the anteversion causing the cup to be angled such that it will cause uneven wear and also rub on the psosis tendon.

I'm back to square one with my decision about which surgery to do.  Ugh!

Dannywayoflife

Re: Which surgery?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 07:10:27 PM »
If it were me I'd ask the following docs for there opinione, Gross, De Smet and Bose all of these will give you a free opinion via email if you email your xrays. If they say the same thing unfortunately you might be best going for a THR. It does seem that correct patient selection is critical for long term results. However all is not lost! Check out my thread about the lady who has a 40+ year old MOM THR! She now also has a 15 year old BHR too! There's numerous cases of a good THR lasting 40+ years(the MOM ones anyway).
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

mhiller

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 09:20:19 PM »
Thanks Dannywayoflife,
Great suggestion.  I'm amazed they will look at X-ray for free.  Dr. Schmalzreid charged a consultation fee of $365.  I'll definitely try it!  I'm also ok with the THR although not my first choice.  I just want to have a straight answer on the resurfacing because resurfacing just makes more sense to me!
Thanks!

Rob6297

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2012, 11:17:52 PM »
Not sure where you live...but Dr. Su will check out your X-rays for free too.  If he is closer to where you live he is very experienced and a good source of info about your questions. Phone is 212-606-1128 he is located in NYC at Hospital for Special Surgery.
Joe
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 11:19:04 PM by Rob6297 »
Joe
RBHR 4/20/12 Dr. Su and Victoria

lyn

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2012, 12:43:34 AM »
I'm 5'2 small boned, checked with 3 drs.1 said he would do if I insisted on it, the other said I was a good candidate for a poly liner, but did not reccomend a BHR. I saw D Gross and  he said  I was high risk, he felt I was a good candidate due to good dexa scan. He uses different components which might make a difference..He will give u free phone consult. I played tennis for years and want to get back to that if I can.I felt more confidant with Gross, because he is so confident, and yes he is very pro HR...Im willing to take my chances, I have nothing to lose, but more femur bone, and that is important to me...talk to as many drs as u need to, until you feel, like u have a direction that is good for u....good luck...lyn     

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2012, 04:58:03 AM »
As it turned out I had one of the symptoms of dysplasia my sockets are real shallow. I'm sure the docs you've seen are really good but the docs I've mentioned really are amongst the best in the world. I got opinions from them before I eventually got to my surgeon. Indeed Dr Bose in india was my back up plan. Good luck
Danny
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

mhiller

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2012, 07:04:03 AM »
Thanks everyone for your input. I sent my X-rays off to Dr. Smet, Dr. Gross and Dr. Bose (and maybe Dr. Su next) and I got an immediate reply from Dr. Smet.  He seems like a great doctor as well as an awesome guy.  Besides being very clear and positive about resurfacing as an option for me he spent time helping me actually send my X-rays to him (technical difficulties/computer spaz) as well as some insight about why Dr. Schmalzreid is more reluctant and negative about resurfacing.
I hope to hear from the other doctors soon!
Thanks again for helping me wrestle with this decision,
Martha

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2012, 08:00:54 AM »
That's good news Martha!
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

Rob6297

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2012, 12:02:36 AM »
Good Luke Martha! Sounds like you're finally going to be getting all your options.
Joe
Joe
RBHR 4/20/12 Dr. Su and Victoria

Recent Posts

Advertisements

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Accordion Player Pat Webmaster/Owner

Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy

Statcounter

View My Stats