+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Weight of BHR Implant?  (Read 4706 times)

stephen1254

Weight of BHR Implant?
« on: May 29, 2012, 03:07:23 PM »
I seem to remember something around 2.5 pounds. I'm just comparing my pre-op and post-op weight.
RBHR Dr. Callander 3/27/12

Tin Soldier

Re: Weight of BHR Implant?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 05:10:14 PM »
I looked around for it, but can't seem to find the thread or a reference ina ny of the papers I have.  I do recall someone posting that info awhile back.   I'll bet Hern or Danny will jump in here with some common weights for the BHR.  I suspect the C+, biomet, Finsbury,... are all about the same weight.  Certainly a little different based on the size, but probabaly not much.  I doubt one set is 2.5 lbs.  I played with one in the doc's office and it felt like is was less than a pound.   

Post-op weight could be higher from swelling for a couple weeks, but you're out a couple months now.  Maybe it's due from being less active while recovering?
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

stephen1254

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 05:26:02 PM »
It's actually the opposite - I'm far more active then I was pre-op. My BF level is about the same but I weigh a little more so I'm trying to determine how much I can attribute to muscle and what should be attributed to the implant.

Also, I'm dilly-dallying around trying to avoid going back to my latest case!

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2012, 02:50:11 AM »
Obviously it depends on the size of the device. I got one of the bigger devices and I don't think it weighs 2.5lbs I'd say around a pound. They are pretty dense devices though but I'd be amazed if it were over a kilo(2.5lbs).
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

Woodstock Hippy

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 09:41:45 AM »
I did a search and came up with 1.2 lbs

That must be the reason I gained so much weight through the whole injury, surgery, recovery process.  I'd say that I gained 10 lbs in the three years that I couldn't run but still worked hard, worked out hard and raced the mountain bike. Then I gained another 10 last summer afterer the crap hit the fan in my hips and most activities were curtailed.  Then the hospital fed us 6 times a day, then Thanksgiving, then Christmas right when my activities were at their lowest.  By February I was in the upper 190's.  I used the MyFitnessPal app to track calories and my workouts improved and right now I'm 167 and feeling great again even with 2.4 lbs of steel hips!
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 11:05:27 AM by Woodstock Hippy »
Bilateral, Dr Scott Marwin, NYU Joint Disease Hosp, 11/15/11

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2012, 10:29:43 AM »
Wood I think 1.2lbs sounds about right there pretty hefty things but they defiantly don't weigh 2.5lbs each :o
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

Tin Soldier

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2012, 05:12:15 PM »
I seem recall having this conversation about 3 times since I've been here and I can't find any of the threads.  Yeah, Co, Cr, and Mo are called heavy metals for a reason.  Something to keep in mind is that some of your own material is removed.  Bone, some soft tissue, and synovial fluid are removed to recieve the new component.  The weight of the removed material is probably a fraction of the new component, but it might make up a 1/3 rd, maybe a 1/4?   Just something to think about. 

So my wife just got a new scale measuring to tenths of pounds and I weigh in at about 5 lbs greater than I did before HR. So you think I can blame a few of those pounds on my new components and maybe a few on the new scale?  Or is it all that beer and bacon I've been consuming while enjoying the comfort of my couch watching reruns of Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives?   
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

WTW15

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2012, 10:22:30 PM »
I'm with Tin - I blame the device for my weight gain....LOL 
But I did notice that when I was in a jacuzzi recently my left BHR hip sank and my right one floated.  I was lopsided in there - pretty funny.  I don't float well anyway, so this was just the topper!  Hubby and I got a good laugh out of it.

So dang, I can only contribute 1lb to the device......really not a significant number.  It's like I say about all those 'weight weenie' mtn bikers who think shaving a gram off their bike with a high priced component is significant.  If I want my mtn bike to be lighter, I need to loose a few pounds.   HA! 

Successful LBHR 1/19/12 Dr. Cynthia Kelly
Fear causes Hesitation and Hesitation causes your worst Fears to come true

stephen1254

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2012, 12:36:02 AM »
I'll buy 1.2 pounds. I wonder if it has any effect on the BF sensor on a Tanita scale?

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat