+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: How Long Till Squatting With Weights?  (Read 22393 times)

IslandCatt

Re: How Long Till Squatting With Weights?
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2012, 10:26:52 AM »
hernanu- More good stuff. Thanks.

After reading through other peoples progression stories on the site, I've come to the conclusion that everyone seems to do it differently.

I guess I'm going to have to figure this out as I go along.
Anterior LBHR, Dr. Sanders, 9/12/12

hernanu

« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2012, 11:15:28 AM »
I agree, but the guidelines are good and you are best off by listening to your surgeon and support staff - they've seen many successes and some failures, they are worth a hear.

I had to muzzle my thick 'I can push through anything' mentality and come to realize that the priorities are (in order of importance):

• Healing the bone and device connection safely and properly. If this doesn't happen, nothing else matters
  • Supporting your body as it overcomes the stresses of the surgery and medication.
  • Patient and successful recuperation of your affected muscles and tendons.
  • Promoting good gait and posture as you recover from years of abuse of your body from OA.
  • Getting back to full strength in your regular workouts and activities.

Just like in a great car (Ferrari, for example), it doesn't matter if you have a great engine if your wheels go flying off at speed because the nuts were not connected correctly; you're not going anywhere and are wrecked. 

I used my surgeon, physical therapists, visiting nurse, etc. as a suite of resources that guided me, even when I felt I could do a lot more. The time to wait seems interminable (SIX MONTHS!!! A YEAR !!! ) but it does pass, and it is the price to be paid for years of doing exactly what you want to do. It's no secret here that developing patience is the toughest thing we all accomplished here. It is critical, though.

I think you'll be good, just ease off the clutch and let your recovery happen.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

lycraman

« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2012, 12:55:07 PM »
I agree, but the guidelines are good and you are best off by listening to your surgeon and support staff - they've seen many successes and some failures, they are worth a hear.

I had to muzzle my thick 'I can push through anything' mentality and come to realize that the priorities are (in order of importance):

• Healing the bone and device connection safely and properly. If this doesn't happen, nothing else matters
  • Supporting your body as it overcomes the stresses of the surgery and medication.
  • Patient and successful recuperation of your affected muscles and tendons.
  • Promoting good gait and posture as you recover from years of abuse of your body from OA.
  • Getting back to full strength in your regular workouts and activities.

Just like in a great car (Ferrari, for example), it doesn't matter if you have a great engine if your wheels go flying off at speed because the nuts were not connected correctly; you're not going anywhere and are wrecked. 

I used my surgeon, physical therapists, visiting nurse, etc. as a suite of resources that guided me, even when I felt I could do a lot more. The time to wait seems interminable (SIX MONTHS!!! A YEAR !!! ) but it does pass, and it is the price to be paid for years of doing exactly what you want to do. It's no secret here that developing patience is the toughest thing we all accomplished here. It is critical, though.

I think you'll be good, just ease off the clutch and let your recovery happen.

Great post Hernanu.  I agree that it is too easy to try and rush back to trying to do what we did prior to the hip problems. The reality is that we will never be 25 (or 45 in my case) again, and taking it progressively for the first six months to a year post operatively should guarantee that our new hip will last for the next 15 to 20 years at least. This should allow us to maximise our activities so long as we accept that extreme and high impact sport are probably best avoided.
Left Birmingham Hip Resurfacing
11th September 2012
Mr Ronan Treacy 54mm head 60mm cup

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2012, 03:38:09 PM »
I think that patience will pay dividends in the end! Let the bone really grow into and onto the components and let it harden then GRADUALLY get back to what you want to do. That's my plan.
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

woldaudio

« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2012, 12:24:09 PM »
Steve,

I am a competitive powerlifter age 65 years. My surgery was done one year ago in Fairhope, Alabama by Dr. Daniel Matthews.There were no post op completions and I was back at work in 8 days at my very sedentary job.   I started squatting soon after surgery but very light weights. I have increased my weight to about 350 to 375 lbs. I hope to be in  low 400's before Christmas.  But, I am keeping my reps to 3 to 4. My next competition is in March 2013. I do sometimes feel a little "achy" sometimes and sitting for a long time also produces some aching. There is feeling of a mild hamstring injury at times. Never any pain at night. Also I have been jogging 1/2 tmes a week for cardio.

stephen1254

« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2012, 10:39:41 AM »
I would have to agree that the consensus is.....there is no consensus. I'm at about 7 1/2 months post surgery and I'm alternating 3 different squat exercises, each with about 50 lbs of weight. I'm going to stay at that point until the one year point, get my one year x-rays, and then gradually increase (hopefully) from there.
RBHR Dr. Callander 3/27/12

Buster

« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2013, 09:04:52 PM »
Competition squat.  It's been 3 yrs now since my BHR,  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syj2kRose1s&feature=youtu.be

Buster

« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2013, 09:08:46 PM »

sroberts

• rbhr Dr Rogerson 6/26/08
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2013, 09:21:43 PM »
Freakin' awesome Buster!!!

Dan L

• LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2013, 08:33:59 AM »
You should be asking your doctor about your limits if they were unclear going in, or after.

My surgeon has had one femoral neck fracture in 1500+ HR's, and that one person was leg pressing at 8 weeks or something ill-advised like that.

The Birmingham docs who invented the procedure say 1 year before any large loads (impact or above 50lbs or something) placed on your hips, my doc trained with them and says 40 lbs max and no impact for one year.  other docs (Gross) says 6 months.  Somewhere in there is some wisdom to be extracted on what you may want to or not want to do.

Good luck and be careful.
LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012

hernanu

« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2013, 10:22:32 AM »
Great stuff, Buster! - you've sure gradually spiked it up.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2013, 12:18:51 PM »
Very very impressive mate!
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone