+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Feeling worse AFTER meds are done...30 days post op...  (Read 6269 times)

jb46

Feeling worse AFTER meds are done...30 days post op...
« on: June 01, 2012, 02:17:43 PM »
Hello All,
I think I have heard of others having this type of experience, and spoke with PT I know who said it was fairly normal (so just looking for confirmation?)

I finished prescriptions, 30 days supply, this past Sunday. This week I feel like I've had major set back, more than first couple steps hurts, even after only sitting for a little while. Before, last week, only time there was pain was first couple of steps after sitting for awhile, which I was told was muscular pain and was to be expected.

Haven't done anything different vs. other weeks, just taking a couple of walks a day. Trying not to break 90', limited bending, and of course...no running (Dr. Gross protocol). Was feeling great, and pretty cocky with how well everything had gone so far...and now "the sky is falling". I did do some walking in the pool, and some running in deep end (without touching bottom) but that was over weekend.

Tell me you had the experience and all is well...or don't tell me anything at all. I'll be in Columbia this coming Thursday for my 6 week follow up, so I can wait that long to hear any bad news...hope everyone is doing well and healing quickly...jb

jb46

Re: Feeling worse AFTER meds are done...30 days post op...
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2012, 02:18:36 PM »
Oh, and pain meds weren't involved...dropped during first week post op.

einreb

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2012, 02:27:32 PM »
I finished prescriptions, 30 days supply, this past Sunday. This week I feel like I've had major set back, more than first couple steps hurts, even after only sitting for a little while. Before, last week, only time there was pain was first couple of steps after sitting for awhile, which I was told was muscular pain and was to be expected.

what all meds did you 'stop' at 30 days?  did that include celebrex or similar?
40yo at the time of my 2/16/2011 left hip uncemented Biomet resurface with Tri Spike Acetabular cup by Gross

metoo

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2012, 03:45:35 PM »
The only thing recommended to me for the first 6 weeks were three simple exercises along with walking.   I was told "Less is More".   I probably violated the less is more advice this week when I returned to work.

I only have about 14 days supply of the celebrex  since I am taking 2 per day.   The only med I have 30 days supply is the stomach acid inhibitor.

Can you describe the pain a little more?  Where?  Which muscle?   

Right hip.  Dr Gross, 5/16/2012

jb46

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2012, 12:17:59 PM »
Yes, the celebrex, the stomache med and whatever the third was for.
My bet is it was the celebrex, and I'm getting more inflamation now which is causing discomfort...I should have been a Dr.

Dee Dee

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2012, 05:45:56 PM »
I hope you get some answers.  I know that when I go off of anti inflammatories I hurt like heck because of other areas of arthritis besides he hip. 

Right HR  5-23-12  Dr. Gross
Left HR 12-5-12 Dr. Gross

LAB123

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2012, 07:40:59 PM »
Hi JB,

I'm about 10 weeks postop from Dr. Gross and your experience sounds  similar to mine. I was very worried going into my six week checkup and was convinced that I had somehow damaged the device for the tissue surrounding it. I read posts from people who had very little pain from 2 to 3 weeks on but that just wasn't the case for me.

I'm still experiencing moderate pain, which I attribute to pushing a little harder than advised on the exercise (all within Dr. Gross'  guidelines, no running, just exercise bike and elliptical trainer, along with swimming). The phase 2 exercises that you'll start after you get a clean bill of health at the six-week mark will help a lot.

Over the course of my recovery I've gotten lots of good advice from folks in this forum and the basic message is that patience is your friend and you need to keep in mind that you've been through major surgery. I don't feel much difference day-to-day but when I look back at the end of each week I realize that the progress is good. I'll bet you'll have the same experience.

All the best,

Larry

Dr. Gross, left hip, 3/28/2012

jb46

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2012, 05:56:48 PM »
Six week post op appt tomorrow, so I'll let him tell me what to do...though I did get some Naproxen from a friend to ease the inflame/pain.
Haven't pushed it besides maybe walking too far on occassion...I figure why risk it after so long and now so much invested (time and $). Hope to greatly increase activity/work out level after tomorrow.

Hope all are healing well...can't wait to wear my hippy shirt while running 10K or half...jb

bilateralbliss

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2012, 09:24:15 PM »
At six weeks I had hardly any pain UNTIL I went swimming for 20 mins!! Like you I felt the sky had fallen in. But was told by hospital had simply overdone it and to rest til back as before.then go for 5mins. Apparently where muscles have`nt been used they very quicky weaken, can actually happen after no use for 6 days!! So don`t worry:) It really is slow and little:)
Bilateral BHR Dr McMinn 6Dec2011
Birmingham

Baby Barista

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2012, 01:42:37 AM »
I'm nearly 20 weeks now and have muscular pain in my thigh if I go a few days without Celebrex. I was one of those people who had severe thigh pain after surgery. I resumed Celebrex at 4 weeks post-op for my other bad hip. If I forget a couple doses... my operative thigh becomes agitated and lets me know.

Remember, everyone is different. I have muscular thighs. Holding my leg in 120 degree internal rotation for an hour was murder for me. For others not so much. If you're having similar pain, keep taking the Celebrex.
LBHR Pritchett 01/23/12 - 52mm head, 58mm cup
RBHR Pritchett 12/10/12 - 52mm head, 58mm cup

hernanu

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2012, 10:18:38 AM »
jb, four weeks is still very early. You've just come off meds, so your body will be dealing with the pain or discomfort by itself, it takes a bit to right that ship.

I was still taking a good amount of Tylenol Xtra strength for a bit after that, so it sounds pretty normal. Like you mentioned, you'll be doing your six week soon, so take it easy and realize you're still early on.

Are you still icing? get that rhythm going, it will help. I kept icing and lowered amounts of tylenol until about two - three months. Selectively after that, but still needed it for a while.

Good luck, but be patient - your body took a hit from the OA, then the surgery, it needs some patient care for a bit.

Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

jb46

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2012, 07:47:14 PM »
Yep, back on the Celebrex and feels much better.
Given the go ahead to do more excercises, light weights (when hip is involved), stationary bike and elyptical. Warned about overdoing and how bad I'll feel after, and how it won't help recovery.
Lee loved my x-rays, didn't see Doc cause some inconsiderate guy had a dislocated hip during my appt. Told that I'm still early in recovery and not to push it.

Still creaky (think rusty wheel) on first couple of steps after sitting for awhile or getting out of car. No limp, at least not noticable, after walking for a bit. Funny how little things are either harder or just not done now...jumping over a puddle, quick jog to get accross street in traffic.

Back to feeling good about the recovery...for now...jb

Miguelito

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2012, 10:25:27 PM »
JB,
Just wanted to say that I had an incredible amount of improvement between weeks six and eight (I am at nine on Wednesday). So I think you have good things in store for you.
Mike
P.S. I had been on anti-inflammatories for almost thirty years, and after the celebrex ran out I never bothered to start taking my Indomethacin and I now realize I just don't need it anymore. Thirty years. Don't get me wrong, that stuff is a wonder drug and I know my body would feel a little better with it, I just don't really need it anymore.
I am sure you need it now, but I hope you don't soon.
RHR April 2012.
LHR March 2014.

Both Biomet Magnum/Recap 54/48, by Dr. Thomas Gross.

jb46

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2012, 09:42:59 PM »
Ok, quick update. I know no one is waiting with baited breathe to hear the latest, but thought it might help someone else down the road when they stop taking the meds.
Holding off on refilling the Celebrex prescript again. Afraid that if I keep taking, at about 4 months post op now, my body will become dependent on it. Rather have some discomfort and let the body adjust.
Getting in two walks a day, at least one good aggressive one...which has included a very slow jog for about a block or two, total probably between 3 and 4 miles. Feels good overall, feel the first couple of steps after sitting now that I've stopped the anti inflam, but I think that can get better.

Can't wait (and probably won't) for six months so I can start running. Will probably move to eliptical to push it a little more...that doesn't count as running, right?

Hope all are well and recovering quickly...see you all at the next hippy jamboree...jb

Spanielsal

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2012, 03:17:24 AM »
Sounds like you are doing well JB, it is nice o hear the progression stories.

On another note.... There's a T shirt AND a Jamboree .... I'm seriously missing out!
I'm a Hippy Hybrid!  L HR Cormet 2000 - Mr Villar, 12th June 2003 and R Corin mini hip - Mr Villar 7th August 2012

rubyred

• Never Give Up
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2012, 04:21:28 AM »
My meds run out tomorrow (paracetamol, Dihydracodeine & Oxynorm) and i'm worried I won't be able to cope with the pain once they stop. I tried cutting them down but the pain was awful  :o
LBHR - 9th August 2012 - Mr R. Treacy

Welcome back to life.

Spanielsal

« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2012, 06:19:08 AM »
Sorry to hear that Ruby, can your GP prescibe you something?  I'm sure they'd want you to keep pain free for a better recovery. Lots of people are still taking significant meds after surgery. Your body has been through a lot and like you said, it wasn't straightforward, I'd hazard a guess that you did quite a few more contortions on that operating table. Be super kind to your body now and it'll pay back in spades.

Ive been very lucky but still I've kept the paracetamol going and  I also take the odd ibroprufen I know that the NSAIDs aren't supposed to be good for bone but the prescribed me diclofenac post surgery because nothing else was working.  Late at night I've been taking one Tramadol too, ive cut that own from two and a sleeper. 

Hope you get something to help.
Sal
X
I'm a Hippy Hybrid!  L HR Cormet 2000 - Mr Villar, 12th June 2003 and R Corin mini hip - Mr Villar 7th August 2012

rubyred

• Never Give Up
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2012, 07:42:28 AM »
I've put a prescription in at the GP's today for some more Dihydracodiene. They were a regular painkiller of mine pre-surgery so hopefully should have no problems in getting a repeat. I'd like the Oxynorm as they're wonderful but I doubt I'd get those LOL!

I was going to try and go cold turkey with the meds. Lord knows I don't want to be stuck on them, but I don't want to be in pain if I don't have to be either. x

Welcome back to life.

Spanielsal

« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2012, 07:53:30 AM »
I had oxynorm after my traumatic period on day one. I was exhausted and in a lot of pain, they squirted it down my throat after giving me iv paracetamol and an OxyContin, it was a pretty swift lights out effect! I can imagine that They'd be quite useful when dealing with your pain levels. Please don't go cold turkey! you have enough to deal with xxxxxx

rubyred

• Never Give Up
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2012, 08:11:00 AM »
Yeah, Oxynorm has that effect on me also! I have 4 left of those so I'm saving them for bed time. x

Welcome back to life.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat