+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Question about Removing the dressing (Gross patient)  (Read 2430 times)

Dee Dee

Question about Removing the dressing (Gross patient)
« on: June 02, 2012, 05:27:24 PM »
Owww it stings
I tried removing the surgical special dressing last night and my skin stuck to the black/ silver part of the pad.  I finally got in the shower and slowly peeled it off with water running over it.  So now some of the pad is still stuck to my skin and I was not about to try scrubbing it off so I applied beta dyne and bactriban and covered it back up with gauze and tape.  Of  course it is the week end so I can't call the office. 

Any one else have this happen and what did you do?

metoo

Re: Question about Removing the dressing (Gross patient)
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2012, 07:41:10 PM »
Is part of the remaining pad stuck to the incision or is it just on the periphery?    Don't have any advice, sorry.  But if the dressing is not caught up in the wound, then I wouldn't think it a big issue.  The hospital sent me home with an ointment (Mupirocin) that I could use as need after removing the dressing.  I had my wife inspect the incision once a day to look for any unusual redness or signs of infection.

Right hip.  Dr Gross, 5/16/2012

Dee Dee

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2012, 10:18:35 PM »
Thanks metoo. 
It is stuck to the periphery.  It was so difficult to take off the dressing that I was surprised. It looks awful to have chunks of the dressing stuck  :o

I have the same ointment. I was told to put it on daily. 

Maybe after my shower tonight some of the extra crud will come off.  ::)
Right HR  5-23-12  Dr. Gross
Left HR 12-5-12 Dr. Gross

John C

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2012, 02:47:49 AM »
My impression was not to worry about rushing the process of the dressing coming off. As your body naturally sheds the outer layer of old skin cells, whatever parts of the dressing are stuck to the skin will come off with it. It never hurts to check with Lee with any questions you come across. She is great about it.
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

Miguelito

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2012, 11:06:33 AM »
I'm a Dr. Gross patient, 4/11/12. I posted about the dressing too, though not out of concern, just curiosity. I didn't have any dressing stuck, just lots of black glue gunk. I took the two bandages off at nine days post surgery. The vast majority of the black glue (or whatever) that was holding the main bandage on (around the periphery) stayed on for twelve more days (so twenty one days total post surgery) no matter how much I scrubbed it in the shower. I really tried to get that gunk off, no matter how much I irritated the area. It really didn't work. It came off when it wanted to come off.

Getting rid of it (for me) was a significant post surgery milestone, but nothing I did appreciably accelerated the process.

Just over seven weeks out and I am stunned at how minimal my scar is and how little raised it is.

Just re-read your post. Unless you are having an issue with the incision itself, I think you are supposed to leave it open to the air (after you take off the sealed bandage, which you have). I am not your doctor, though, so please don't rely on my opinion.

Good luck!

Mike

P.S. The black gunk was more than simply around the perimeter. It was everywhere under the bandage EXCEPT FOR the very narrow ribbon (less than a centimeter) of the actual incision itself. So it makes for a very unappealing black gunk tattoo for 12 days or so. They must squirt the black glue on the butt cheek ITSELF and then slap the bandage on it to get such precision. Just a guess, though.

Put another way, the area looked a lot like one of those lightning bolt military patches; a dark rectangle (of black gunk) with a light line (the un-gunked incision) down the middle.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 11:16:04 AM by Miguelito »
RHR April 2012.
LHR March 2014.

Both Biomet Magnum/Recap 54/48, by Dr. Thomas Gross.

Dee Dee

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2012, 05:29:09 PM »
Thanks for the reassurance John C. I figured my skin would would eventually slough it off.

Mike you described it perfectly.  It is rather creepy looking, something like black fish scales/skin. I am glad to hear that it does come off and that i dont need to waste my time trying to make it. 

I thought I was supposed to cover the incision for 7 more days.  Maybe I read the instructions wrong.  I will call Monday.

Thanks again for the help.  BTW I made it to church today (day 12). It felt good to be out and among friends.  All were amazed at how well I am doing.  I used both crutches for safety( it is a large church with lots of hall traffic) but I am on a cane around the house!   8)

It is fun to be able to spread the word about resurfacing.  Most people just don't know about it.

Miguelito

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2012, 08:19:49 AM »
Dee Dee,
Yeah, I was a little confused about the instructions too. I couldn't figure out whether they wanted me to wait seven days post-hospital or post-surgery to remove the dressing. I waited until seven post-hospital (thus 9 days total), but it more probably was seven post-surgery. I was in no hurry to take it off (I wanted to give it as long as feasible to heal as I was an out of state patient and didn't want to chance any complications).
I was also a little confused about whether or not to cover it up after removing the bandage. My wife convinced me that the instructions were to leave it uncovered (except for the cream they give you) and I think she was right.
Mike
RHR April 2012.
LHR March 2014.

Both Biomet Magnum/Recap 54/48, by Dr. Thomas Gross.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat