+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Here I am again... hip flexor pain  (Read 4505 times)

MaryEllen

Here I am again... hip flexor pain
« on: June 03, 2012, 11:34:18 AM »
I am going to apologize right up front for nagging to you all!! I can run... but very predictably at the 2.5 mile mark I get this stabbing hip flexor pain that forces me to walk, and then walk/run the rest of my work out (usually about 6 miles). I am doing hipflexor stretches, rehab, icing... it just won't go away!! Is there hope? Will this ever be normal? I just want to run!! I am going to get an xray this week to rule out bad things to my BHR, but I'd really just like to get back to training.
I'm 7 months post op, btw.
Thanks!!!
MaryEllen
LBHR 11/2/11
RBHR 12/12/12
Dr. Palmer Stillwater, MN

jjmclain

Re: Here I am again... hip flexor pain
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2012, 05:42:28 PM »
I hope you get it figured out and glad you are getting an x-ray! What month did you start running?

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2012, 06:13:03 PM »
Ellen I think that you are possibly trying to do too much too soon. I know that the time frame for returning to impact is a contentious one but that aside even those who wait 12 months to even start to jog on a treadmill are usually advised to very gradually build up to it. If I were you I would knock the running on the head totally for a while and cross train and rest and allow your body to heal. Dont forget your body is still healing and adapting at this stage.
Danny
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

MaryEllen

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2012, 06:27:56 PM »
I started trying to run at month 3 (I can hear some of you proabably saying "fool")... I can get about 3 days a week in running, but am usually hurting pretty good by the weeks end. I know you're right, Danny... but..... dang, I don't want to admit it. So... I guess I'll back off a bit. But still get the xray to make sure I haven't done anything stupid.
MaryEllen
LBHR 11/2/11
RBHR 12/12/12

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2012, 06:36:16 PM »
Ellen I really think you should back off you did return really early and don't forget your bones will still be healing at 12 months so your really asking a lot of your body. Even though you might not feel them I'd bet that there's still loads of muscular imbalances going on that will irritate soft tissues.
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

MaryEllen

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2012, 06:59:59 PM »
Thanks for the advice Danny. If I remember, you're an athlete... how's your recovery going and what are you able to do at this stage (about a month ahead of me)?
MaryEllen
LBHR 11/2/11
RBHR 12/12/12

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2012, 07:18:55 PM »
Ellen your welcome. I am a very out of shape athlete! When I was initially told of my terrible OA I imedeatly hit my drug of Choice food! But I'm now steadily getting back in the gym. At the moment I'm quite able to do 10miles or so on my bike on the way to the gym then do unto 90mins cardio and some light weights with no issues. This though is a far cry of my training regamine of a few years ago though but I've been told that easing into EVERYTHING is the key.
I did a judo class a few weeks ago and apart from being super out of shape I did fine. I even tapped 2 black belts out. But it took me 4 days to recover so I decided to get my body more used to training again by more work in the gym.
This is a long term investment for all us young hippies don't just rush head long into anything.
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

David

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2012, 08:57:45 PM »
MaryEllen,
You are simply not strong enough to go further than your point of discomfort.  You need to strengthen your core and stabilizer muscles more.  Everyone is different.  I experience it daily in my quest to further myself and get to my point of perfection.  You just have to embrace where you are at.  You may need to see a professional to release the scar tissue and fascia that has built up as a result of your surgery.
D.
RBHR Dr. Su 8/29/2011
www.jayasports.com

MaryEllen

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2012, 09:25:24 PM »
Thank you for spelling that out so clearly!! Seems pretty obvious now that you say it!
MaryEllen
LBHR 11/2/11
RBHR 12/12/12

bilateralbliss

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2012, 01:15:12 AM »
after just reading this thread, thanks for the great comfort it`s given me. I`m taking things very slowly, sometimes wondering if too much so. Good to read better safe than sorry- plus logical facts :)
Bilateral BHR Dr McMinn 6Dec2011
Birmingham

David

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2012, 10:07:09 PM »
Slow, steady, we are all here a special breed.
I too started out in my recovery too fast, but caught myself, I think a bit.
I got big dreams they will come...
D.
RBHR Dr. Su 8/29/2011
www.jayasports.com

bilateralbliss

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2012, 11:54:33 PM »
David, so did I, once was enough to make me wary, which core exercises do you recommend?
Birmingham

David

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2012, 07:01:10 PM »
Concentrate on the glute med/min muscles which are the main hip stabilizers most affected by this operation.  If they are not strong enough and firing correctly other smaller muscles will try to take over and will cause injuries when you try to do too much too soon.
RBHR Dr. Su 8/29/2011
www.jayasports.com

bilateralbliss

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2012, 12:05:46 AM »
Thanks so much David :)
Birmingham

Arrojo

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2012, 02:49:13 PM »
Dr Su told me hip flexors (strength and ROM) are one of the biggest concerns for a return to running.  You should be doing hip flexor streches every day (I do then 2-3 x a day).

The best hip flexor stretch is where you kneel on one knee (on a pillow for comfort), head and torso straight up and lean forward from the other leg.  A similar strech Dr. Su showed me has the leg with the hip to be stretched on a chair behind you, while your other leg is on the floor and you lean forward.  I'm sure you can find these stretches on youtube or something.

I also did a search on hip flexor stretches and found a link to a site that had 8 of them!  Anyway, keep doing these.  And I agree with David about the scar tissue as well.

We are all in this together.  :)
Dr. Su
RBHR 4/9/12

bilateralbliss

« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2012, 09:31:40 PM »
Thanks for more info Arrojo, I`m taking recovery very slowly
Birmingham

Jason0411

• Hotelier and Volunteer Lifeboat Crewman.
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2012, 04:26:33 AM »
I got hip flexor pain when over doing it and ignored it. I then ended up fracturing the head of my femur so just a word of caution. Don't do a "Jason" let your body heal.

Jas
RBHR Mr McMinn 6th December 2011.
Tripped and crushed head under cap 31st January 2012.
Self repairing.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat