+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Metal Ion Testing?  (Read 1795 times)

Woodstock Hippy

Metal Ion Testing?
« on: June 08, 2012, 01:41:55 PM »
I'm only at seven months post op and I have no issues at all.  In fact right this week my left side has caught up to the right and I feel like nothing was ever wrong.  I'm feeling really great and pushing this body pretty hard every day.  I'm also getting ready for my yearly physical exam.  Should I ask for a metal ion test?  If so, what do I ask for?

(PS, I ran at 7:30 pace for the last 5 minutes of my treadmill run this morning!)
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 04:19:11 PM by Woodstock Hippy »
Bilateral, Dr Scott Marwin, NYU Joint Disease Hosp, 11/15/11

John C

Re: Metal Ion Testing?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2012, 02:05:42 PM »
You will need a script from your doctor for a blood draw, usually for testing cobalt and chromium. Many doctors like to have the blood sent to Quest labs for testing. Be sure that the person doing your blood draw is knowledgable about this, as it requires a special vial for the blood to be collected in. If in doubt, Quest labs is great about talking to the techs doing the blood draw about exactly what they need, so if there is any uncertainty about metal ion testing, you might ask the tech to give Quest a call.
My thought would be to have the test done before your one year check up, so that you can discuss the results with your doc at that time.
I think that you are wise to have this done, since I believe that anyone with a MOM joint should be knowledgable about their ion numbers.
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2012, 02:24:04 PM »
I think the ion test thing is a US thing. It doesn't seem to be carried out over here unless there are symptoms. I would be interested in finding mine out though as I'm sure they'll be in the normal person range.
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

John C

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2012, 03:06:43 PM »
You are right Danny. My understanding is that the FDA over here wants more data so that they can get a clearer picture of MOM.
A couple of nice things about knowing your numbers, is that it clears up any little concerns hanging out in the back of your mind. Also, if you are ever talking with someone who brings up the issue of all the bad press regarding MOM, quoting your numbers can help to educate them about the successes with a well placed, well designed prosthesis.
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2012, 03:23:32 PM »
Good points John, other than personal interest im not worried about my ion figures. From all the reading I did prior and since I am convinced that the ion thing is a non issue exept with poor devices and poor surgery.
Would be pretty cool to have them to as you say point out to people that your numbers are normal.
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

Woodstock Hippy

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2012, 03:36:41 PM »
It's not something that I'm worried about.  I just figure that I'll be at the doctor and they will be taking blood for the other tests and it all will be going to Quest anyway, so I'll request to have it done.  I'll call the doctor Monday and make an appointment to have it done before I go Upstate to start working on my house.  Excavation could be as soon as two weeks from now.

(ran steady, about 9 minute pace for 1 hour this morning)
Bilateral, Dr Scott Marwin, NYU Joint Disease Hosp, 11/15/11

powderhippy

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2012, 12:04:08 AM »
Just saw this post.  If your hips are feeling good and your doing all the things you want, your hips are fine. Dr. Gross believes, if no complications, you should wait for your 2 year anniversary and then get the blood work. That 2 year period should eliminate any metals from the initial "break-in" period and a more normal reading can be had...

Dr. Gross/Lee Webb  Left hip 9/6/06 cement,  Right hip 6/23/10 uncemented

Tin Soldier

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2012, 05:03:22 PM »
There is a wear in period and DeSmet's paper on BHR vs C+ has some good info about it.  I sort of wonder if you do have slightly elevated levels (maybe 3 to 7 ug/L), but not above the 7 ug/L (often referered to as the "safe level").  What would you do?  Would you then be concerned and sort of worry about it for awhile?  Maybe you'd look at the supplements you've been taking to see if Cr is in them, maybe you'd start wearing a respirator when you're grinding chromoly tubing on your next bike build?, maybe you'd reconsider applying for that job at the chromite mine ... I'm being a little over the top, but the point I'm getting at is that by getting the data, you may create concern that isn't necessary.   That's probabaly why Gross suggests getting the test after the wear in period, so that you'll have a more stable and longer term-representative measurement.

Also, before the recent FDA request for more data, the FDA was recommending against metals testing unless there were other symptoms, much like what McMinn has recommended, and maybe that's why the UK follows that plan. 
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat