+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Joined the Bilateral club!  (Read 5642 times)

SteveJ

Joined the Bilateral club!
« on: June 14, 2012, 01:20:33 PM »
Bilateral carried out this morning and all seems to have gone well; AVN wasn't an issue. I've no pain yet; I had a spinal block and a bit of sedation; being conscious throughout is a bit of an experience but not unpleasant. My heartfelt thanks to Pat and everyone who contributes to Surface Hippy, without this site I'd still be contemplating THRs 'When I'm old enough!'

Now the hard work begins!

Steve
Bilateral BHR 14 June 2012 ROH Birmingham, UK. Mr Treacy

hernanu

Re: Joined the Bilateral club!
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2012, 01:26:45 PM »
All right Steve!  ;D ;D ;D

Congratulations, you'll be under medication for a bit. You're right, the hard work begins, but it's work with continued payoffs. Treat yourself well and the good things will continue to happen.

Excellent.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

OtterDriver

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2012, 01:41:28 PM »
Congratulations!

Hope you have a speedy and trouble free recovery.

Bruce

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2012, 02:14:36 PM »
Congratulations Steve.  Take it easy - what else can you do?  LOL  You will probably have a bit of pain now and then, but they will take care of it.  Keep in touch when you can.

Good Luck.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Dan L

• LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2012, 09:06:23 PM »
Good deal Steve, welcome to the club.  Keep ahead of the pain, use lots of ice, and follow the program for a great recovery.  It gets better every day overall.

Take care,

Dan
LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012

Woodstock Hippy

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2012, 05:58:04 AM »
Congratulations Steve, welcome to the Bilateral Club.  As others have said; now the work begins.  Be patient, work hard and be smart.  You will have setbacks and you will get through them.  It won't take long until you're feeling strong again.  I'm at 7 months and it's almost like nothing was ever wrong.  My right side it fully recovered and my left is just a little behind it.
Bilateral, Dr Scott Marwin, NYU Joint Disease Hosp, 11/15/11

Tin Soldier

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2012, 11:34:59 AM »
Good job and welcome to the bilat club.  I hear you on the THR deal.  I would have probably been in the same boat, if not for HIp Talk.  I'm coming up on one year after the second hip and feel great, no pain, doing pretty much what I was doing before OA set it. 

I like the idea of being "awake" during the procedure, obviously with a spinal and a moderate dose of Versed or the benzo of choice, only because it's something new.  I did "wake up" during mine while they were hammering, but I don't think the anesthesiologist really wanted me too awake.  Talking too much and asked too many questions.

Take it easy and enjoy some relaxing time in the recliner.
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

SteveJ

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2012, 01:33:25 AM »
Just a quick update as I'm still in hospital, thanks for the replies, I'm doing ok . Had a couple goes on the walker; found getting in and out of bed the hardest bit, once up I can stand full weight bearing, still getting a little bit of nausea on first standing but each time it's worn off quickly. The pain got a little ahead of me yesterday but is coming back now, i havn't had to go on the really strong painkiller. sleeping is difficult as expected, found my knees aching for some reason but a pillow underneath helps.

More detail to follow-

Steve

Woodstock Hippy

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2012, 06:06:26 AM »
Hang in there, Steve, it just keeps on getting better.

What hospital are you in?  How long will they keep you?
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 06:07:22 AM by Woodstock Hippy »
Bilateral, Dr Scott Marwin, NYU Joint Disease Hosp, 11/15/11

SteveJ

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2012, 06:48:05 AM »
Hello Woody, I'm in the Royal Orthopeadic Hospital, Birmingham, uk.

I plan to put a step by step post in about my aneathsetic experience when I'm home, hopefully in a couple of days, in case any one else is contemplating the issue.

Steve

hernanu

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2012, 06:00:12 PM »
All normal steve, it's a challenge at first, but do what you're doing to stay ahead of the pain, and you'll be in good shape. The pillow under the knees helped me too. You're just at the beginning, things get better.

Tin Soldier

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2012, 04:47:10 PM »
Yeah pillow under the knees is good.  I think the swelling and truama around hip decreases the flexibility in that area so much that only comfortable position is to have the knees slightly bent.

Love to read the blow by blow account of the surgery. Best getting it down sooner than later, the memory might fade after awhile.
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

SteveJ

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2012, 06:11:03 AM »
I’m now back home and have ‘quite’ a bit of time on my hands so here’s a more detailed version of my experience at the ROH Birmingham UK. Please bear in mind that this is what happened to me and hospitals use different approaches and techniques.
During the pre-operation admin, the Anaesthetist and a nurse explained the differences in anaesthetic types, pros, cons and relative risks. Basically, a Spinal Block will take all pain away during the operation and for a good few hours afterwards. This could be combined with either a full General Anaesthetic so I would be completely unaware of the whole process or; light sedation where I would be conscious. The ‘being conscious’ bit sounds a bit grim but read on….
Although conscious, you cannot actually see the operation, you can hear the sounds of the operating room including tools being used, I was allowed an Ipod to listen to music which softened the sounds I could hear. There is no pain and light sedation relaxes you; I did almost doze off.
 Initially I wanted to be completely unaware of anything but I also had a bit of fear about not waking up afterwards etc. The anaesthetist and nurse explained both approaches so well I would have been equally happy with either method from an outcome point of view, I chose the spinal block with sedation mainly because I wanted to know the result quicker!
So here’s what happened. When it was my turn I was wheeled down to the anaesthetic room and prepared for surgery. A recurring theme in my treatment was the ease at which all staff from Mr Treacy to the porters put you; especially important to me at this stage when I was most nervous!
First thing to happen was a little local anaesthetic before a cannula was inserted in my right hand – no pain or discomfort. Every step was explained thoroughly; next I was put in a slumped forward sitting position to expose my lower back, freeze spray applied and another local injection at roughly the area of the spine where a belt would lie. Then the spinal block was given, this was 2 injections of Diamorphine close to the nerves that require blocking. I felt no pain or discomfort just sensations of light pressure. I was then laid on my back while the block took effect. I also had electrodes attached for ECG.
Probably about 15 to 20 minutes have gone by since I came through the anaesthetic room door, the spinal block is beginning to work and I can feel sensation leaving my legs progressively. The Technicians carry out various checks and turn me onto my left side to prepare the right hip for surgery. It’s about now that the block is fully effective, my brain knows that I’m lying on my left side and my eyes can see that I’m on my left side. The leg is shaved and I don’t feel it although I can hear the razor. Next, I’m wheeled into theatre and transferred to the table; I’m plugged into the monitors, O2 and given the sedative – better spark up some Muddy Waters!
Throughout the last few minutes I’ve been feeling more secure and less nervous, a green paper screen prevents me from seeing what’s going on and the staff are constantly checking on me and the odd joke or question keeps me at ease. I am feeling really cosy now, completely nerve free and interested in what’s going on. Obviously when they operate they have to move your legs, you don’t feel them move, but you do feel the effect on your upper body. I realised they must have cut me open when I started hearing a drill and other machines, you also hear a bit of light hammering – don’t let it put you off, I felt absolutely no pain.  First hip done and they wheeled me out to have the other side prepped.
Back in for the Left side which went as above  - approximately an hour start to finish. Before going to the recovery room I was put on my back to check leg length. As I was awake I could ask how it all went and, especially important for me, did I get BHRs or THRs! The most bizarre feeling is the surgeon holding both big toes in his hands and moving the ankles, asking you how you are and telling you it all went well, while your brain is telling you that it can feel you lying on your left side!   
Once in the recovery room my blood pressure dropped, the symptoms I felt were a dizziness and clammy skin; the team were all over it, so it was only 5 or 10 minutes of mild unpleasantness.  It’s a common reaction to the Diamorphine used in the spinal block.
I imagine that this wouldn’t be for everyone but I’m pleased I did it this way, if anyone would like more detail of specific aspects please ask. I’ve deliberately not been too graphic about the tooling sounds during the op, I used to do structural repairs on aircraft so the sounds of air tools don’t scare me.  The most important thing is that whatever I was hearing, I felt absolutely no pain.

Steve

hernanu

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2012, 10:21:05 AM »
Great description Steve!

I went under fully (fine for me), so was unaware of the experience of someone who had the spinal block. Either way sounds fine, I wouldn't have been concerned either, since I would have known what was happening and why.  Thanks for the account, I know it will make others feel better / more knowledgeable about their surgeries.

bilateralbliss

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2012, 11:35:52 PM »
Interesting to read and well written too :) I asked if I could have that but was told no, had to be knocked right out! Did have the epidural though. Maybe was because mine took a lot longer to do. Staff were great :)
Glad to hear you`re doing so well!
Bilateral BHR Dr McMinn 6Dec2011
Birmingham

SteveJ

« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2012, 05:57:35 AM »
Hello all! It's a week since the op so here's a bit of a progress report. I'm noticing small but steady improvements in what I can do, getting up and down stairs, in and out of bed and sitting and standing are much easier now - some of this is down to increased confidence but I can for example lift my left leg onto a footstool while seated using leg power alone, I still can't quite manage that on the right yet. Walking with crutches is much more fluid.

As experienced Hippies suggested would be the case; the pre op arthritis pain has completely gone and the pain from the operating wounds is being managed well by the drugs I was given. I'm taking Paracetamol 4x a day and Oxycontin 2x a day, I've got a fast acting strong painkiller called OxyNorm to take if required but haven't needed any for the last 3 days. I'm also on daily anti DVT injections of Clexain; I've just about worked out a comfortable way of doing the injections but I'm still a bit hesitant with the needle!

The only area giving me problems is sleeping which is clearly an issue common to many. I too never slept on my back before the op and find it quite uncomfortable after a while. I'm using loads of pillows but find that after a while I get a headache at the lower part of the back of my head. I don't know whether it's a drug reaction or the constant pressure of a pillow at the base of my skull - has anyone had anything similar?

Apart from that, spirits are high and it's a good boost to hear how well all you other hippies are doing. Now I've experienced resurfacing first hand, I especially want to strongly support Danny WOL's praise for Mr Treacy and the Royal Orthopaedic Hospital Birmingham - I would encourage anyone researching their options to look in that direction too.

Steve     

hernanu

« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2012, 09:28:37 AM »
Steve, that sounds great. Really good to see your progress, use the drugs as you need them, just like any other aid (crutches, etc.), they will fall by the wayside as you progress.

Sleeping is a challenge early on and like others, it is transient, you will be in much better shape. All good.

SteveJ

« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2012, 03:55:57 AM »
Hello all!

Time for a quick update, it's been 3 1/2 weeks since the op and the time has really flown by.  I'm feeling a lot stronger and I'm able to walk to my local newspaper shop quite easily; about 1 mile round trip. As many have advised on here, good gait is worth waiting for so I'm sticking to the crutches but I am putting increasingly less weight through them. I've also worked out how to roll over onto my front in bed so my sleep quality has improved dramatically.

The most telling thing for me is, for the last few years I have been totally reliant on some form of painkiller to function; for the last week I have not needed any painkillers at all. My scars have healed well and I can get in and out of the bath unaided. I was advised not to try getting in and out of the bath until about 6 weeks post op in case I slipped, I simulated it until I was confident I could get in and out before I went for it - it was worth it for a warm soak! Prior to the op, when in the bath, I couldn't get my legs to relax outwards and touch my knees to the side of the bath - now I can.

I continue to stick to the PT given by the hospital, things improve daily. The only exercise that is improving less quickly is abduction; when sitting with legs out straight in front, I'm still having difficulty doing 10 reps and the discomfort in the joint builds. I think part of this is overcoming friction when sliding the leg over the carpet, but it is improving with perseverance. If I do the same thing standing it's fine and the ROM is far better than pre op.

I'm starting to crave swimming again and looking at my turbo trainer and trying to work out how to get on it! Don't worry Hippys' the advice is sound on here and I'm not going to overdo it, the turbo remains off limits for a while yet, but swimming will resume as soon as I can get to the pool. Out of interest, are there any post op turbo users out there, and when were you able to get back on it?

Best regards to all - Steve     

hernanu

« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2012, 09:41:26 AM »
Good stuff, steve. For the adduction, you might think of putting a garbage bag under your leg, use that to lower friction.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 04:29:19 PM by hernanu »

SteveJ

« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2012, 11:04:45 AM »
Thanks Hern, simple solution that works a treat!

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal