+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Looking for young hippies to talk about recovery  (Read 2303 times)

24andBIONIC

Looking for young hippies to talk about recovery
« on: June 21, 2012, 10:59:23 AM »
My name is Dustin and I received an LBHR on 6/18/12.  I am 24 years old and have not had anyone to talk to around my age about surgery/recovery from a BHR.  I am now 3 days post op and feeling pretty good.  I am home and did really well with PT in the hospital. After the first session they told me i didn't need to go to PT in the hospital anymore and sent me out.  I have been trying to get around as much as possible and actually to 3 steps unassisted yesterday (with the walker right in front of me of course).  If any one else out there is near my age and wants to reply to this post with your story, words of encouragement, or just about anything I would really love to have someone else to talk to.  I feel like being this young and having the surgery its been tough to connect to other people I personally know who have gone through it.

morph

Re: Looking for young hippies to talk about recovery
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2012, 12:15:51 PM »
Hi Dustin,  I'm 38 so a bit older. I had LBHR 2 weeks ago. Although I first started getting symptoms at around the age of 26, I would be in agony for a few days after a game of soccer. Should have really got it done ages ago instead of suffering years of anguish, pain and frustration. Soft tissue healing is still going on but so far I am amazed at how it feels although not ready to go crutchless yet. Sounds like you are doing great with the recovery so far. It seems that patience is the key for longetivity and finding the balance between exercise and rest, something I have to keep reminding myself about. I hope the recovery keeps going well. This site is ace with all sorts of folk at different stages post HR and varying ages, great even for a ramble or a moan or alleviating the boredom during recovery.
LBHR - 58mm ball, 64mm cup
7th June 2012 - Mr J P Holland - Newcastle

Mike D

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2012, 12:33:18 PM »
Hi Dustin-Sounds like you're going great with your recovery.
I'm even older at 50 but there are a few people on here nearer your age- Danny(wayoflife) is only 29 and he has massive knowledge of the whole resurfacing subject so can give you good advice.
I think Anna is the same age.
Are you in the UK?
Right Ceramic THR
Ronan Treacy   Birmingham R.O.H
8 August 2012

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2012, 01:22:07 PM »
Dustin

Welcome to Hip Talk.  I am a whole lot older at 68, but loved my BHR so much I started this website.  The folks here are very supportive.  I know of a 12 year old who recently had a BHR with Dr. Brooks in Cleveland.  There are several other teenagers that have had hip resurfacing

Here is Katie that received her's when she was 21  http://www.surfacehippy.info/katieellis91.php  She still has hers!

Kabree's story when she was 14   http://www.surfacehippy.info/kaibree2006.php

There are a few younger folks that required hip replacement, you can see it on the age chart
http://www.surfacehippy.info/agesurvey.php

So you are young - but not alone with a hip resurfacing at an early age. 

Many people don't understand what it is like to have a hip replacement, even family and friends.  This is a place where everyone understands.

Take it easy and let your body heal, then you have a life time to use that great new hip.

Good Luck..

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2012, 02:14:30 PM »
Dustin,
         Hay welcome to the board! I am a fellow young hippy. I was 28 @ the time of my op. I am now 32 weeks post op today!
Prior to OA suddenly setting it i was SUPER SUPER fit i used to run anything up to 40 miles a week train martial arts for 4+hrs a day and do 2+hrs of cardio a day. I am not yet back to those levels yet but i am managing to do 1hr+ of cardio in the gym a day and cycling upto 15 miles. I will not even attempt to really up my training though until im 12 months post op as i want to really heal as much as possible before i really start to tax my new joint.
Please feel free to pm me if you want to know anything specific.
Danny
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 02:28:15 PM by Dannywayoflife »
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

Tin Soldier

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2012, 04:44:20 PM »
As Mike pointed out, Danny's your guy on this.  He's young, he's done a ton of research, and he's here almost everyday. 

I'm 43 and probably began having obvious OA issues when I was in my mid to late 30's.  I'm one of the more common cases, I think.  Anyway, I'd say there is not a lot of difference between most of us with regards to a lot of aspects about HR, regardless of age.  Some people's hips just wear out sooner than others and most of us still want to have a really active lifestyle.

Good job on the hip.  Lots of good info here if you have questions.       
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

24andBIONIC

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2012, 11:44:11 PM »
Thanks for your responses guys.  Internet outage caused a late response and severe lack of moderate recovery entertainment haha.  Its nice to ear that others are out there.  I have been really sore the past couple days, I think I pushed it a little too hard on Friday when I was feeling really good.  What kind of early post-op pain did you have?  I have been feeling some pain in the back of my hip, near my "posterior" and every once in a while a sharp short pain in my groin area.  It was the area where I had most of my arthritic pain before surgery.  He told me I had some large deposits that needed a lot of scraping to get rid of, so im thinking its just my bones still aching from surgery 6/18/12.  What do you think?  Any similar stuff for you guys?

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2012, 12:55:07 AM »
Hay dustin,
                 Being real sore early on is pretty normal! Although tempting I would urge you to stay chilled and not over do it early on. Let your body heal. Rest and get lots of good nutrition
Down ya neck. (personally I started taking a coral calcium supplement along with collogen and a few others just to really make sure my bones had the nutrition to repair fully).
From the sounds of it you possibly had a fair amount of osteophyte which is pretty normal I had the same. I had some bone ache in the first week or so then had what I felt was growing pains in my pelvis and I'm convinced that it was the bone growing into my cup.
By the way who was your surgeon?
Danny
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

SteveJ

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2012, 05:30:08 AM »
Hello Dustin, I'm 46 so not exactly in your age group, but I had a Bilateral BHR on the 14 June at the ROH in Birmingham so my recovery is only a few days ahead of yours. Your description of pain is very similar to my own, except that mine is centered along the ITB areas; I too have the odd random sharp pain that doesn't last long. I had a walker in hospital and then crutches which I have been told to stick with for 6 weeks regardless of how 'good' I feel. I managed to walk about 450 metres yesterday which I found easy at the time but had a noticeable burn in my quads afterwards that persisted throughout the night. My early (1st week) post op pain was quite similar to what I have now just more intense. I made the mistake of allowing the pain to build and tried to ignore it; by the time I gave in it was more difficult to get on top of. The lesson I learned was to anticipate the pain a bit and if necessary take the OxyNorm strong fast acting pain killers early. Anyway, I cautiously think I'm past that now and my pain is a lot better and easier to control.

Good luck with your recovery - Steve.   
Bilateral BHR 14 June 2012 ROH Birmingham, UK. Mr Treacy

stacky

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2012, 09:51:25 AM »
Hi Dustin

I get your need to find someone our age to talk to, im 25 and had my left hip resurfaced in 2010 and my right hip last year.  It feels quite lonely when everyone around you at your age see hip resurfacing/THR as something that happens when your old! This site is brilliant for helping you feel not so alone and realise that depsite this mis conception there are many people under 50 that have to go through this treatment to get an improved way of life :)

The advice I can give on your recovery is to take it easy definatley, I have had several hip surgeries prior to my resurfaces as I was diagnosed with Hip Dyplasia at 10.  As Steve has advised keep on top of the pain killers as the pain is much better to manage when you dont let it get the better of you.  The physiotherapists tend to know there stuff too, I always think if you stick to what they suggest and get things moving before you no it you'll be back on your feet. 

My best peice of advise though, find a good TV series and a rake of books to keep you occupied! Enjoy the time you get to take a rest and dont push yourself too much.  My family and friends always tell me That i try and run before i can walk quite literally because i get impatient! My last operation I watched Greys Anatomy back to back and read the whole Karin Slaughter Grant county series (amongst other stuff obviously!) but having something to do to keep your mind off feeling fed up and bored really helps me! :) or if your into gaming, get a few new games to get into.

I've had some complications with mine, however this is rare and probablymore to do with my hip dysplasia. Overall, even though I am having problems with my right side still, the resurface on my left has improved my life brilliantly and this site shows a lot of postive outcomes and even helps if you do get any issues or concerns.  Good luck with your recovery and remember to keep on top of the boredom!

:)

Stacy :)

stacky

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2012, 10:01:39 AM »
Steve

If you dont mind me asking, which surgeon did you have at the ROH? I have been going to the hospital since I was 10 and always been under the same surgeon (who is brilliant) until my last surgery where I had someone different.

My normal consultants speciality is Peadeatrics not resurfaces.  He did my left side resurface which seems to have worked really well, but then refferred me to someone else for my right.  This hasnt worked out so well so I am being refferred to another consultant, Mr Pearson, and wondered if you saw him? he is meant to be very good and experienced but i am a little nervous as i was so used to my past consultants and although i dont feel my issues with my right side are the fault of the surgeon i am slightly unsure about changing again?

Hope your recovery goes well.

Thank you

SteveJ

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2012, 11:00:22 AM »
Hello Stacky, I saw Mr Treacy, so I can't give you any more info on Mr Pearson. I also don't have an issue with Dysplasia so I've not done much research into Dysplasia or surgeons that have experience in that area. I'm quite a new contributor, but there are some people on here who have been to the ROH. Danny W.O.L. springs to mind; he has also done a lot of research and may be able to help.

Steve
Bilateral BHR 14 June 2012 ROH Birmingham, UK. Mr Treacy

stacky

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2012, 11:04:24 AM »
Thank you Steve

Hope your recovery goes well

Stacy

24andBIONIC

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2012, 01:03:53 PM »
Danny,

My surgeon is Dr. Schmidt based out of the DMC in southeastern Michigan.  Thanks for answering me back on the pains I have been having.  I feel like I could definitely describe it as bone ache, and I think the sharp pains im feeling on occasion could be some growing pains too.  I will probably take your advice on getting some supplements to ensure good bone nutrition.  What do you think is the best to look for?  Are there any things you found that I should keep away from?

Steve,

Nice to hear that you and I are having some similar pains.  Mine have lessened a little over the past two days so im hoping it keeps right on going.  I have the muscle pain and tightening in my ITB area as well.  My PT says to just keep working it at a slow an easy pace and it will get better with time.  keep me updated on your recovery as im sure mine will be right there with you.

Thanks for all your advice hippies - Dustin

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal