+-

Advertisements

Welcome Back

The Hip Talk Discussion Forum was hacked a few weeks back. It has taken me a long time to fix it. The only backup I could use was way back to April 2020. All members and posts up to that date are available. Anything newer has been lost. I am sorry, but that has been the only way to get things up and running again.

Author Topic: Wiggle In My Walk  (Read 1184 times)

stephen1254

Wiggle In My Walk
« on: June 22, 2012, 02:40:47 PM »
I'm nearly 3 months post op, and have resumed all of my previous activities with the exception of running and heavy weight training for legs. I still feel the occasional bit of discomfort at the incision mark, but it's not really pain and quickly goes away.

So I was carrying our paddle boards down to the shore of the lake on Tuesday and my wife commented that I was swinging my hips as I walk - the last bit of forward leg extension was coming by moving my hip forward instead of my leg.

Yesterday I did a 5 mile hike while concentrating on my gait and realized that both hips - operated and non-operated - were a little tight. By concentrating on my gait I was able to get a normal leg extension with no waddle and had the tightness worked out by the end of the walk.

I am still paying attention to it and I realize that I've gotten into a bad habit. It's quite easy not to waddle, but for now I need to think about it.

As so many others have commented your muscles need to be re-trained to walk normally, because we haven't been walking normally for years. Just another thing to pay attention to.
RBHR Dr. Callander 3/27/12

Boomer

Re: Wiggle In My Walk
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2012, 03:42:41 PM »
Great post.

I was helped to relearn proper walking mechanics by a PT. He had me focus on heel to toe, straight ahead and lengthening the stride. The pain we all suffered prior to becoming Hippys caused us to shorten our stride, among other changes.

It takes focus. My PT had me marching slowly, head up, steps measured, delay the follow through to lengthen the stride. Felt a little silly marching, but it does require the focus that you mentioned. I give my PT a lot of credit for starting me off on the right walking path immediately. He would not allow me to develop any abnormal gait. He is quite fanatical about it. I'm going through the marching drills for the second time now.

Thanks for the great post. You raise a really important issue that is overlooked my many once they have started making progress on their recovery.

Boomer
RBHR with Dr. Rector on 11/30/2011
LBHR with Dr. Rector on 6/11/2012

Rach41

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2012, 11:03:58 PM »
Funny you shoul say that. I am 6 weeks post op on Tuesday and when I was out with my mum in the week I had my one crutch and thought I was flinging my leg out and to the side. I wasn't aware I was doing this but as soon as it is pointed out to you it makes you more conscious of how you are walking! Got follow up soon and will ask some Physio/OT to stop this becoming a habit! Rach
Accis right hip resurfacing on 15.05.2012 by Mr Woodnutt, Morriston Hospital, Swansea

tedroberts

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2012, 12:33:02 AM »
I also had an "interesting gate" as my PT said.  Her fellow PT even recognized my by my gate when she chanced to see me walk by in MPLS.  My PT had to physically loosen up my hip capsule so I could
get back to a normal stride.  The PT didn't hurt, but I couldn't have done it myself.  They really earned
their pay loosening up my hip capsule.
Bi-Lateral BHR 1-7-09 Dr. Nelson, MPLS, MN

bilateralbliss

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2012, 07:19:15 AM »
Boomer- thanks for the PT tips, must check my gait, for years I waddled. Thanks for the reminders everyone
Bilateral BHR Dr McMinn 6Dec2011
Birmingham

Tin Soldier

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2012, 08:22:09 PM »
I saw video of myself walking/limping pre-op and it was sad, but pretty amazing to watch and compare to now.  That's all pretty much gone now.  Although even at 8 months post op second hip, after a soccer game, the first signs of discomfort show up as a slight limp.  It's the shorter stride limp due to tight muscles.  I have to think about that a little, when I do, and work on the stride it doesn't take long to feel symmetrical and smooth again. 

Interesting topic.

"Nose over the centerline"   
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

B.I.L.L.

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2012, 05:54:47 AM »
Good topic. It took me a long time to get my operated foot to point straight without concentrating on it, every time I wouldn't think about it, it would be pointing in (too much "toe in" ?)  ;D  I still find it wanting to point in... and my shoes wear out a little different on each side. Least of my worries though, doesn't seem like too big a deal ? Hope not anyway 8)     

Recent Posts

Re: 9 years later and I think it's time for my other hip by imgetinold
September 17, 2020, 06:45:07 PM

Re: Need help finding a Surgeon by imgetinold
September 17, 2020, 06:40:18 PM

Re: 3 months post op with MAJOR problems by ahausheer
September 16, 2020, 05:18:14 AM

Re: Need help finding a Surgeon by ahausheer
September 16, 2020, 05:16:11 AM

Advertisements

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear