+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Cycling PRE op  (Read 4428 times)

Anna

Cycling PRE op
« on: June 30, 2012, 08:50:51 AM »
Hi guys,

Ok, so this is a pre op question. I've had to quit all my sports now due to my rotten hips however last year I took up cycling which was recomended by a physio. I have become quite addicted to both road and mountain biking (I LOVE MY BIKES!!) and really wish I had started cycling years ago. Not to brag (ok Im bragging) but I cycled the width of the country last week (I live in England not the USA!) which was the best thing ive done in years as I never thought I would have that kind of freedom until after my op. I find it amazing how I can cycle all day with minimal pain and yet I struggle to walk around the supermarket, but anyway I digress, I DO have a question. ... over the last couple of months ive started struggling a little to get on and off my bikes as I can lift my leg high enough. Also, on my road bike in particular, with the extra leaning forward, I sometimes struggle to lift my right knee high enough to rotate the pedals due to the stiffness in my hips. I have a feeling this is going to get worse and stop me from cycling altogether. That  would not only kill me mentally but I think I would start to resemble a small whale within a couple of months which would be no good for when I finally get my op!

I was wondering whether you guys continued cycling right up to your operations or whether anyone had to quit? Also, has anyone got any tips or ideas which may keep me going? Adjustments I could make to my bikes or stretches / exercises which may help and prolong my cycling? I am willing to try anything!!!!!

Thanks
RTHR - 08/08/2013 -Mr johan witt, London

Dannywayoflife

Re: Cycling PRE op
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2012, 10:35:46 AM »
Before my op my ROM was so bad I had to go up stairs using only my good leg as I couldn't pick up my knee high enough to put my left foot on the step!
While you can do it pain free I would carry on. If the mountain bike is a better les painful position for you I'd use that more. You could get 2 sets of wheels one with off road tyres and one with road tyres.
Danny
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

Anna

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2012, 11:06:36 AM »
I hope I don't get that bad danny :(
I do have 2 sets of tyres for the mtb but I can't get up to the speeds I can on my road bike. I wouldn't be breaking any records! I won't be stopping my biking until I physically can't do it anymore. Hopefully that will be when I'm dead! I'm just trying to think of ways to make it more comfortable. I got a new stem for my road bike to raise the handlebars a little more which seemed to help a bit last week.

Anna

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2012, 11:09:51 AM »
I have to admit though, I do prefer my mountain biking so I'm pretty glad I get less pain on that bike! Just need to stop falling off it and damaging other vital parts of my body  ;D

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2012, 11:13:15 AM »
Your right to keep on cycling along as you can! I hope that you get a pao and can get back to a pain free life! X
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

Anna

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2012, 11:35:42 AM »
Thanks  ;D

DirkV

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2012, 04:24:29 PM »
I too was having trouble riding (road bike) pre-op, due to "step-over" range-of-motion constraints. Your foot is attached to the pedal, and if your rom won't allow you to step over the crank length at the top of the pedal stroke, you end up kind of flailing your knee out - at least I did. I was very fortunate to find a "fitting coach" who knew about ortho issues, and he re-oriented me on the bike (things like you mention: stem height, saddle height, etc.). I also swapped out cranks to get shorter ones (170 cm I believe). I believe the shorter cranks made the biggest difference. Whereas I had to stop riding before the fitting, after, I was able to keep riding right up to surgery. Some 4 yrs post op, one of my standard routes is the "pre surgery" route, which is a shortish, flat 12 mi loop. But I was able to do that the day before surgery.
I recall that it got increasingly difficult to get on the bike, but I could essentially lay it down flat to step over the top tube and then kind of waddle it up.
Keep lookin up, and good riding!
-Dirk
Bilateral 02/08, 03/08, Dr. Ball

Anna

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2012, 08:44:24 PM »
Thanks Dirk, thats really helpful and has eased my mind a bit. It sounds like you had the same problems im just starting to have. I may try and find an expert to help me fit my bike up properly.... and I never even thought of getting shorter cranks!! Excellent. I now have an excuse to go shopping too!

Glad to hear your still cycling strong post surgery  ;D

Anna

dwbitt

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2012, 02:35:34 PM »
Hi Anna, I had been a runner and started cycling to alleviate a knee problem later found to be the Hip joint. The more I rode the better I felt, finally gave up running and just became a roadie.
Getting on and off the bike was my biggest problem, had to lay the bike over to get my leg over the top tube. Once on the bike I was able to ride well, not as good/strong as my 'pre symptom' riding, but much less difficult than walking.
I also had a pretty weird pedal stoke on the bad side as explained by DirkV, getting down in the drops was getting pretty difficult.
I was able to ride, a lot, up to the day before my surgery. I think it helped me during the recovery and rehab, I had some concerns about causing damage that might negate the possibility of a Resurfacing, but other cyclist on this forum were confident it would not, they were correct.
I guess I was fortunate that pre surgery I didn't need to make any real fitting changes, but DirkV's suggestion makes sense.
Do try and stay as fit as you can as long as you can, it will make the recovery a piece of cake.
Dave
Dave
LBHR, Dr. Su, 10/29/11

Anna

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2012, 06:39:39 PM »
Hi Dave, thanks for the advice  :D

I totally agree with you when you say the more you rode the beter you felt. Its not only a mental and fitness thing but I sometimes feel that if I have a week off cycling my hip stiffens up even more. I do believe it keeps my hip going a bit. My physio used to say that the best way to fight artiritis is to keep active and in some ways I think hes right! I am planning on keeping going for as long as I can.

fenceman

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2012, 09:54:03 AM »
Anna, I had a BHR on the left and it feel great but my right hip is starting to go and is painful with limited ROM.  I have started riding my wife's crossover bike.  It is a traditional "girls bike" with the low bar in the center.  I can step into the bike with little pain to my hip.  It is not as fast as my road bike but at least I can get out and ride.
Bill
L-BHR - Aug 2008 - Dr. Brooks  Cleveland Clinic Main Campus
R-BHR - Dec 2012 - Dr. Brooks  Cleveland Clinic Euclid Hospital
L-BHR Revision Nov 2017 - Dr. Brooks Euclid

mike1966

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2012, 10:29:38 AM »
Hi Anna, riding my mountain bike was the one thing I was able to do right up to surgery. On a bad day, I would have trouble lifting my knee and it would stick out to the side but it kept me strong leading to surgery when all my other activities were gone. Keep it up.

Mike
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 10:31:45 AM by mike1966 »
LBHR 2nd April 2012 Dr Van Winden

morph

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2012, 01:17:04 PM »
I stopped riding my road and mountain bike about 2 yrs prior to my op because of all the reasons mentioned, when I could it certainly enable me to keep going for a bit longer. It was one of the last enjoyments I had to give up. Every day to work I passed a triathlon shop with £1000's road bikes in the window, although I could not afford one of those, it made want to get out on the bike and explore. Now my bikes are needing a serious overhaul before they can be ridden, a bit like me. Like Danny towards the end I had difficulty raising my leg to go up even a gradual incline. Can't wait to get back on the bike and visit the trails at Glentress forest, one of the last things to go but probably one of the first things I will be able to do again, after 6 weeks I believe.
LBHR - 58mm ball, 64mm cup
7th June 2012 - Mr J P Holland - Newcastle

Anna

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2012, 07:04:06 PM »
Thanks everyone  ;D

I think I would advise anyone on this site to get out on a bike. Its the only sport im really able to do now and im so determined not to give it up. Im hoping its gonna keep me fit right up to the surgery date.

Morph - I think after everything you have been through, you should treat yourself to one of those £1000 bikes! I will look out for you next year at Glentress  :D

Keep peddling everyone!

johnd_emd

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2012, 06:31:30 PM »
Anna,

I rode right up to the day before my surgery.  I too had the problem of getting off the bike after riding.  One thing I did was lift my affected leg over the handle bars when getting off the bike.  It was my right hip, so it was pretty natural to just stand on my left leg, hold your bars with your left hand, lift the right leg up and over the handle bars while switching hands on the bars.  For some reason, I could lift my hip up and forward, but it hurt to lift and extend backwards on the bike. 

Dr. Rector
Feb. 1
Rt Hip Resurfacing
Birmingham

Anna

« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2012, 02:20:54 PM »
Anna,

I rode right up to the day before my surgery.  I too had the problem of getting off the bike after riding.  One thing I did was lift my affected leg over the handle bars when getting off the bike.  It was my right hip, so it was pretty natural to just stand on my left leg, hold your bars with your left hand, lift the right leg up and over the handle bars while switching hands on the bars.  For some reason, I could lift my hip up and forward, but it hurt to lift and extend backwards on the bike. 

Its my right hip too so I may try that. Glad to hear you rode up to your surgery. Im hopeful I will be able to do that now too.

Anna

kamoynsgi

« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2012, 03:24:57 PM »
Keep riding.  I've found that it really does help and that my hip is much worse if I haven't been able to get on the bike.  Due to have surgery soon and really glad to hear that others are having to be inventive in getting on and off the bike too as my antics have often been a source of amusement.

Ka
L Hip Resurfaced 9 August 2012

Anna

« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2012, 06:00:52 PM »
Hey Ka,

Im really finding cycling helps alot with keeping me going. .. although I am also occasionally the source of amusement too! Hopefully you wont be for much longer. Good luck with your op and let us know how you get on

Anna

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Yesterday at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM