+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: small boned women  (Read 1763 times)

lyn

small boned women
« on: July 01, 2012, 04:20:06 PM »
 I'm scheduled for surgery with Dr. Gross on Aug. 29th- I just wanted some reassurance that there are small boned women that have had succsessful HR--right? My husband just saw a couple of articles in the NY Times n USA today about issues with MOM HR-
and he is not in favor of my having a HR- and I'am high risk- but I feel if there is anybody that can do a good job it is Dr. Gross. I know it is critical he gets the angle and antiversion right. Does anybody know how they are working on getting the antiverson correct? I will email him on this subject- we discussed the angle, and I forgot to go over the antiversion. Thanks, lyn 

Dannywayoflife

Re: small boned women
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2012, 04:33:26 PM »
Lyn small boned women certainly can have good outcomes with resurfacing but they are harder to do. So as you have done go to a very experienced surgeon.
With regards to ante version the devices are usually designed to work at certain orientations yo one another. I know the BHR is designed to be around 40 degrees inclination and 15-20 degrees of ante version. The surgeon will take into account your actual morphology when putting these in  and will try to put it in in best angles for you.
Danny 
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

hernanu

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2012, 05:05:26 PM »
lyn, Dr. Gross is one of the best you can get, so right off the bat you're ahead of the game. If you have concerns like this, why not ask him his record with small boned women? I know that he has kept statistics of his results, and can fill you in.

I do know several hippy women here have smaller frames and devices, and they seem to be doing well. Hopefully some can check in with you, let you know their experience.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

lyn

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2012, 12:43:03 PM »
Thanks for the feedback- I will email him and he has told me he has done small bone women- and I know his stats- I think I just needed reassurance from other people who have experience in dealing with this- which is why this website is a great way to get support and info- Thanks for listening ! lyn

Dee Dee

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2012, 04:09:26 PM »
Lyn,
I am sorry your hubby is concerned about mom.  You need his full support through this!  Have him talk to dr gross about that issue too!

There are some threads here about mom getting bad press.  It is a complicated issue that is being slung around in the press like hard facts.  Major media outlets outlets are not giving the whole truth about mom issues.  Do your research.

I trusted Dr. Gross for my HR because his reputation in the HR community is excellent and his stats are helpful to know his experienced record.  His office has provided me with outstanding pre-op and post-op care through phone and e-mail.  I had lots of questions and concerns about various isues.

When I had my pre-op office appt, Dr. Gross took his time and answered all my questions.  He assured me that he does not preclude women just because some think they are more difficult.  His confidence was quite reassuring, not at all egotistical.  he vindicated my need for this survey even though other Dr. were divided

I hope you gt he answers you need to feel at peace!

Dee

Right HR  5-23-12  Dr. Gross
Left HR 12-5-12 Dr. Gross

Tin Soldier

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2012, 04:32:33 PM »
Also, remind him that the NY Times articles are all embellished and in accurate.  I actually think the main author of those is just trying to get another book deal like the one he did on the "epidemic" abuse of Oxycontin.  Maybe he was thinking the MoM issue would be alot bigger of a deal than it really is.  On the other hand, as Danny and others pointed out, there is a lot of discussion about real issues with HR for smaller framed women.  As you've done, you're relying on a very experienced surgeon with really good results.  Maybe next time you see Gross, you can have your husband ask him some questions?  maybe that would help him ease his mind about your HR. 
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

Aerial

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2012, 08:45:44 PM »
I am small boned and had surgery with Dr. Gross on December 5th. I have no pain and I am back to an active lifestyle.  I have an extensive thread in hip stories that I have kept periodically updated since surgery.  Go for it, I have not looked back!
Right hip resurfacing with Dr. Gross on 12/5/11!

lyn

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2012, 10:03:40 PM »
 Thanks ladies for your input. I feel this is a risk for me, but I'm willing to take a chance with Dr.Gross and relate with what you said Dee, about  the different opinions of doctors- and yes his confidence is reassurring - its so unfortunate with any press these days it is hard to really get the facts . I really appreciate everybodies feedback it does HELP!!! Thanks, lyn     

bilateralbliss

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2012, 11:47:20 PM »
Hi Lyn, you`ll be just fine, good surgeons like yours would not operate without knowing the full stats and result x
Bilateral BHR Dr McMinn 6Dec2011
Birmingham

luann again

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2012, 08:38:19 AM »
Hi Lyn, I live in Oregon so I did not use Dr. Gross but I am definitely a small boned (5'2" and 115 lbs- ex jockey!) female . I am 47 and am now two years out and doing fabulous with my HR! I do any activity I feel like doing. I still ride and train horses  and last year won a championship in cutting ( rowdy riding involving working cattle). I feel this surgery was nothing short of a miracle and gave me my life back!!! I recommend it highly. Good luck! Lu
Dr. Sparling WA Wright C+ 2010 right hip, petite female done at age 45

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat