+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: What difference do you notice.....  (Read 1687 times)

Kiwi

What difference do you notice.....
« on: July 04, 2012, 12:32:16 AM »
Just curious what difference hippies at 1 year post op (or near to) noticed Vs 6 months post op?
Cherz
Kiwi
LBHR 11/23/2011
56mm Head
Hugh Blackley (BHR Trained with Ronan Treacy)
Use it or lose it!

luann again

Re: What difference do you notice.....
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2012, 01:23:47 PM »
Hi Kiwi! I am over two years out now. When I was a new surface hippy and recovering from my surgery, I was reading a lot of posts on this site. One thing I seemed to come across over and over was that recovery, at least for some( most?) people can take years. I distinctly remember that at the one year anniversary of my sx I was feeling much better than at six months. The one year mark seemed to be a major turning point for me. At six months I was still having muscle, ligament, and strength recovery issues. At least that is what I assume they were. I was still quite sore and stiff ( at least, off and on) and felt very weak in that leg. I kept as positive as I could and hoped all the experience hippies who said it could take a while were right.  They were, of course!
 Now at two years, it still keeps getting better. If you are just a few months out and thinking everything should be perfect, don't despair. Give it time . Good luck everyone. The best is when days go by and you realize you haven't even thought about your hip! Lu
Dr. Sparling WA Wright C+ 2010 right hip, petite female done at age 45

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2012, 01:29:06 PM »
Luann thanks for that reply! I too have been thinking this. I'm now around 7months and I'm doing really well. But I still have a few areas that I'd like to improve on. Mine are mainly ROM in funny planes of movement it's still a bit pinchy but it's encouraging to know that it can still get better for a long time yet!
Danny
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

Kiwi

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2012, 12:21:36 AM »
Thanks Lu - it's reassuring to know. Like Danny I'm just past 7 month mark. Everything's going really well, just a few minor niggles but I'm sure they relate more to pre op restrictions due to OA.
Hard to describe but when I walk and really stretch out I still get a familiar twang at the peak of my stride which reminds me of pre op pain. It's nothing (on the pain scale) compared to the pre op pain and really don't notice it unless I really stretch out. That and a bit of minor groin pain from time to time. I'm sure these things will iron themselves out as I exercise & stretch. I'll check it out with my PT next visit to see if I can target the niggles.
Cherz.
LBHR 11/23/2011
56mm Head
Hugh Blackley (BHR Trained with Ronan Treacy)
Use it or lose it!

John C

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2012, 01:22:54 AM »
Hi Kiwi,
Because my activities change so much with the seasons, and the degree of the changes, it is easier for me to compare 6 months to 18 months. Here are a few things that I noticed had changed:
1. I was becoming more comfortable landing on the new hip, whether it was on skis, the tennis court, windsurfing, or just jumping down stairs or off a curb.
2. I was having less discomfort riding in the car for long distances.
3. Less twinges if my leg got knocked around unexpectedly.
4. One legged squats or lunges were getting more comfortable.
5. I was having less flareups of trochanteric bursitis.
In retrospect, here is my general take on the difference. At six months I was feeling good about daily living, and even though I did it, it felt very early for getting back to athletics. At 18 months, the athletics were feeling pretty good as well.
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

bilateralbliss

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2012, 04:29:12 AM »
Out of curiousity at 7 months who can or could get up from kneeling without using their arms to hold on to
something? Or is it just me?
Bilateral BHR Dr McMinn 6Dec2011
Birmingham

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2012, 05:02:46 AM »
I'm around your stage and I can manage that bilat but we all recover differently. Just look at my recovery I was pretty much bed bound for the first 2.5 months!
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

blkhank

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2012, 10:54:49 AM »
 Hi everyone!!!! To day is 6mos. Post op.( happy-b day Pat) I will not lie its been a long journey but now I can say well worth it.  Changes that I have noticed ... No pain ,little sore but only after working 8 on my feet ,and ride my horse for 3 hrs. Non stop and cleaning the stalls when I'm done. :D

I can kneel and get up with no assistance,I can squat no assistance up or down. I can sit Indian style and cross my legs . I can ride my horse for 6 hrs with a little knee pain . I can dismount  my horse and walk away instantly. I use to hang on the saddle for 10 min  and limp away I don't have to lay across my horses neck to get my leg  over the saddle.

The other day I was mounting from a 4 ft wall and my horse started walking away and I jumped down to catch him and didn't realise it till I was back on . No pain. And I also ran to get out of the rain. The best is no more vicodine.

I still get exhausted when I do to much.  But that's expected. My  Dr. said I would be .exhausted  for the next year. My Dr. Was very conservative post- op . Made me crazy reading  what everyone else  was able to do. But I feel it paid off. I have longevity in my family and I really want my hip to last at least another 40 yrs. Everyone on this web site  have  helped me through my fears. I'm by my self and the horses refused to cook. Have a great summer!

rbt2011

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2012, 08:39:58 AM »
Great posts

I'm in the same approximate timeline and it's encouraging to read that it gets better up to and after a year.
Right side BHR 11/29/2011

bilateralbliss

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2012, 12:56:39 AM »
Thanks everyone- hopefully the unaided squats, and rising from kneeling will come in time!
Early days yet!
Bilateral BHR Dr McMinn 6Dec2011
Birmingham

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat