+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: severely atrophied Obturator muscles 3 years post op  (Read 6290 times)

lynmargaret

severely atrophied Obturator muscles 3 years post op
« on: July 06, 2012, 11:30:46 AM »
Left Birmingham resurfacing- 3 years ago- despite going to experienced and well vetted surgeon- it's never been right since the surgery- lot of clicking and clanking- pain- swelling- walking the whole grocery store is something i pay for. Lower back pain has gradually developed since my surgery (along with some killer and very regular migraines) and my knees are not happy at all- recent MRI shows critical tear in medial meniscus of right knee (is this due to gait compensation due to hip issues?)

I am 47 now and in good health/healthy weight.  Placement continues to look great, metal ions are not in what has at this time been determined a scary range, MARS MRI shows no fluid or psuedo tumours (tho it is my experience they are still really trying to figure out how to use and interpret the MARS MRI). Metal allergy is the next thing to dig into- tho there is very little available on how to determine this.

MARS MRI did show severely atrophied obturator muscles- which I have researched and see get cut during resurfacing (evidently not during THR).  I was wondering if anyone else has had this diagnosis and has done any research to see if it is contributing to any post surgery issues or- what have you done to try and rebuild these muscles?

I have not been on this site for a while, and I am a little surprised at how strongly so many on here feel about disregarding the cautions against MoM implants.

just for the record- if I knew then what I know now (and like everyone it is very little- we MoM 'wearers' are the guinea pigs) I would absolutely NOT get a MoM hip. And while information is still in short supply, it is vastly more available than it was 3 to 4 years ago, and so I would urge anyone considering a resurfacing to do adequate due diligence.

thanks.

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: severely atrophied Obturator muscles 3 years post op
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2012, 10:54:40 PM »
I am sorry to hear you are having problems with your hip resurfacing.  I think the national registries and medical studies certainly support a positive use of hip resurfacing.  http://www.surfacehippy.info/nationalregistries.php  I am sorry you are among the 6 % of folks having problems, but there are just as many problems with THR also - either MOM or ceramic or plastic/metal.  There are no perfect hip devices.  We all had them and then either thru disease, arthritis, accidents or too much use - lost the original equipment.  Even the original equipment did not last a lifetime - so why should we be surprised man made hips don't sometimes last a lifetime.

The experienced surgeons series show a 99% retention rate and the national registries show a 96% rate at 10 years.  There are also many BHRs out there since 1997 that are functioning perfectly well.  I have a few stories posted.

So I am sorry about your problems and hope you can find a solution, but telling people that hip resurfacing is not really a good option is ONLY YOUR OPINON based on your experience.  There are over 160,000 folks with BHRs world wide that are working well and causing no problems. There are also many Cormet, Wright C+ and Biomets placed many years ago working well.

I just need to always have a reality check when people with problems start posting.  I can understand your hurt, anger and frustration when you have a resurfacing not working properly for you - but you are in the minority.  We welcome you to help support you, but I have to tell new visitors that hip resurfacing is still an excellent option for many people.  Don't be scared off by negative press, people with problems and people with ASR or certain THR devices.  Do your homework, but make sure you read actual national registries and read real medical studies from top surgeons that have done many thousands of hip resurfacings.

Please understand the cautions about MOM implants are for THR  total hip replacement devices.  Even the recent FDA information explains that hip resurfacing is still a viable solution for the right candidates.

Pat
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 10:56:29 PM by Pat Walter »
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

happyhopper

Re: severely atrophied Obturator muscles 3 years post op
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2012, 09:49:47 AM »
Hi - have just read your comments re continued pain after resurfacing.  Would you mind telling me where you had the operation? and also the surgeon.  I am a slim female and had r hip resurfacing 3 years ago and have had problems due to my surgeons poor pre and post surgery procedures. The surgeon and his idiot assistant did not notice I had severe muscle imbalances and dealt with me appallingly when I queries why I was not recovering.  Also I did not get the PCA button in the hospital which  led to stiffness post surgery.  Surgeons do not understand muscles and it may be that an expert in this field and a good exercise programme would help you.  The exercises I was given were hopeless.  Have you had a CT scan and ultrasound to look at the soft tissues?    I hope you eventually improve.  I now need my left hip operating on and am not sure whether to go for a ceramic resurfacing or a ceramic THR with Mr McMinn.
Best wishes. 

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal