+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Non Standard recovery.  (Read 6228 times)

Jason0411

• Hotelier and Volunteer Lifeboat Crewman.
Non Standard recovery.
« on: July 17, 2012, 02:16:21 PM »
I had my right BHR on the 6th December 2011 by Mr McMinn everything was going to plan (probably a bit too well) and 7.5 weeks after surgery I had a trip and the impact crushed the head of my femur under the cap. When I went for my eight week check up you could see the implant had moved by 1 cm towards the neck. I having dinosaur feeling capabilities walked in to the appointment unaided but knowing I was a bit lopsided. To be told I was walking on a broken leg and to quit weight bearing immediately. As a child I suffered from Perthes in both hips and I am presuming when it comes to pain in that area I can blank it off pretty well. I knew I had had some shooting pains down my leg and it was really uncomfortable the night I did it but just thought I had jarred it a bit.
6 months after fracture I am now walking with one stick and think I am about to become the first person in the UK to repair from such a fracture. Mr McMinn told me he knew of only two cases documented in Australia of people with the same fracture as me who have recovered.
When I went to see him  three months after the fracture (in which time I had been non weight bearing), he was shocked that it hadn't crumbled but the Cap had remained in place. I have been steadily increasing the weight bearing and am still in tact. I was very close to being one of Mr McMinns very few failures but now hope to be a success. I am a big guy 45 years old 6 2 and weigh 18.5 stone. I swim 1000 metres breastsroke daily and now cycle to work. I think that may have helped my recovery. I think the most important part of my recovery is probably well balanced nutrition. Bucket of red meat washed down with a bucket of red wine. Got to have a bucket of each other wise it would not be balanced.

My Brother had a LBHR 12 years ago at the age of 35 and became a third Dan at Karate in December.

Jas
RBHR Mr McMinn 6th December 2011.
Tripped and crushed head under cap 31st January 2012.
Self repairing.

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Non Standard recovery.
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2012, 02:55:23 PM »
Jason

Welcome to Hip Talk.   Thank You so much for sharing your story.  It is one that shows patience can sometimes really pay off.  I think having your femur component placed by McMinn was also helpful.

I hope you continue to heal and get better as time goes on. 

Thanks again for sharing and giving hope to others.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 03:03:37 PM »
Jas,
     Welcome to the group! Wow thats an amazing story!!!! Im so glad that after serious adversity you are now well on the mend!!!
Danny
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

hernanu

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 04:09:40 PM »
What a great story, Jason - excellent recovery.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Jason0411

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2012, 05:40:14 AM »
Thanks everyone I will keep you all informed. Had to try and mend myself as the alternative was immediate THR. Didn't want that at my age so took the big gamble of a total collapse. But so far so good.

Jas
Self repairing.

rbt2011

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2012, 08:03:28 PM »
Jason,

You are a bad ass!  Best of luck to you and thank you for sharing your story.  Damn, you are one tough dude.
Right side BHR 11/29/2011

Jason0411

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2012, 03:23:16 AM »
Off to see McMinn in the morning to find make sure it is healing, will repost on Thursday.
Self repairing.

bilateralbliss

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2012, 02:28:35 AM »
Look forward to the update!
Bilateral BHR Dr McMinn 6Dec2011
Birmingham

Jason0411

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2012, 05:49:21 AM »
Got a right Bollocking off Mr McMinn for being naughty and coming off my crutches. He told me that there was potentially an awful lot of jhealing still to happen. He said I had taken a big gamble but so far according to the Xray looks like I got away with it. He admitted he was a pesimist and I said I was an optimist to which he replied "I had worked that one out". He then said that he knew there was no point in him asking me to go back on two crutches but said could I use one stick for as long as possible or until he calls me back. So I apologised for being a naughty boy and agreed.

So the long and the short of it is, since I fractured my femoral head the cap still has not moved so as far as I am concerned it must be healed but according to Mr McMinn I must be very cautious. Happy Days. Also my Left hip looks better as the cartlidge seems in better condition than it was when I was putting my full weight on it and compressing it.So even better news.

Jas
Self repairing.

Anna

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2012, 07:23:43 AM »
Ha ha, naughty boy! I have only just seen this post but thats a great story Jason. Im so glad its all working out for you. I think that balanced diet was probably the main thing that helped your recovery so make sure you keep that one up  ;D
RTHR - 08/08/2013 -Mr johan witt, London

Dee Dee

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2012, 07:40:34 AM »
Wow. You took a risk but so far so good.  The dr knows how bone heals, so listen and stay safe!!

Glad the other hip doing well.  Hang in there and keep us informed.  The information age is so wonderful that we can connect and share across the globe! Thanks for telling your story.

Dee
Right HR  5-23-12  Dr. Gross
Left HR 12-5-12 Dr. Gross

hernanu

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2012, 09:34:29 AM »
Great news, Jason!

You've already experienced what happens when the implant is stressed early, I'd take care to heal right, crutche and all; you won't be on it long, so let it help you, both for healing and for your proper walking gait.

Excellent that the healing has taken, you've been given a second chance.

kamoynsgi

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2012, 06:31:55 PM »
Testimony that a positive mental attitude can help with your recovery, despite your trip early on.  Amazing to think that you had a broken femur and still walked unaided.  Just goes to show how your body acclimatises itself to pain over a long time and can cope with it when trauma occurs.  Can't wait to get back on my bike post surgery.  Balanced diet sounds tempting too.
Ka
L Hip Resurfaced 9 August 2012

Jason0411

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2012, 12:57:48 PM »
Had my first trip on the Caister Offshore Lifeboat since my Op yesterday. Stood up whole trip wallked along decks when we were chugging along at 35 knotts. No problems at all.

Fracture? What fracture?

;D
Self repairing.

bilateralbliss

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2012, 01:11:27 AM »
It`s a miracle :)
Birmingham

Jason0411

« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2012, 07:17:46 AM »
But don't tell Mr McMinn I promised I would stay on one Stick. Forgot to take it with me, I thought it would look bad a Crewman climbing on the boat with a stick.
Self repairing.

bilateralbliss

« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2012, 11:23:49 PM »
I promise :)
you sure you`re not a cat with nine lives!! ;)
Birmingham

Jason0411

« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2013, 10:46:02 AM »
Thought I ought to update my story.

It has been over a year now since my crush fracture occured. I have been back to see the Maestro McMinn and he has told me that I have been very lucky so far my head has obviously reformed but will be deformed. The cap has remained in the same place since I tripped and I have now been given permission to get on with my life normally but no running or sports.
He said I started from a very bad place and still wasn't totally confident it would still not come off but said to just get on with life.
Got to go back in a year.
So I am doing what I do working 6 days a week 10-14 hours a day as well as being a Volunteer Lifeboat Crewman.
Although I am not allowed to run I may have walked extremely fast a few times when the pager has gone off but please nobody tell McMinn. So far so very good I get the odd clunk and twinge but normally when I do extra silly things. Oh yeah and I sort of kind of walked quite quick on a Rugby pitch with my son to help him practice his passing at speed.

Jas
Self repairing.

fenceman

« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2013, 11:55:21 AM »
Glad to hear you are doing well Jason.  I still get a clunk or a twinge every once in a while on my 4-1/2 year old hip.  I think that is normal.

Good luck and keep healing.
L-BHR - Aug 2008 - Dr. Brooks  Cleveland Clinic Main Campus
R-BHR - Dec 2012 - Dr. Brooks  Cleveland Clinic Euclid Hospital
L-BHR Revision Nov 2017 - Dr. Brooks Euclid

hernanu

« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2013, 04:48:57 PM »
All good news, Jas.  Keep it up, this walking fast thing is getting to be a habit.  ::)

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat