+-

Author Topic: Newb from Detroit  (Read 2937 times)

hoyt66

• Champions are measured by their ability to overcom
Newb from Detroit
« on: July 18, 2012, 11:29:41 PM »
Hi,
I am thinking about bhr for my right hip. I have seen three surgeons and all think I'm the right candidate for it. I'm scared to say the least. I have a few questions to start and prob more along the way.

1) Did anyones knee go numb when standing in one place for a say more than 5 minutes or when walking?
2) Any Michiganders on this site? Doctor recommendations?
3) Are you ever really ready to have it done?

Thanks
Right BHR Dr. Schmitt 9/11/12

Dannywayoflife

Re: Newb from Detroit
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2012, 12:13:15 AM »
Hi and welcome! I can't comment on the knee going numb everyone is different but it seems reasonable toe your hip could cause that. Only you and a good doc cam decide if your ready but if you have arthritis then it only going to get worse and a HR is way better to recover from than a thr! As for docs in Michigan I'm pretty sure that's were Dr Schmitt opperates from.
Danny
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

bilateralbliss

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2012, 02:14:14 AM »
Welcome!
Please don`t be scared, no one likes having surgery. But as Danny said the longer you leave it the worse it will become. Plus your good side will be compensating for the bad one.
Everyone is different yes, personally the sooner you get it done the better, then you know the only way is up. No more pain :)
Bilateral BHR Dr McMinn 6Dec2011
Birmingham

Jason0411

• Hotelier and Volunteer Lifeboat Crewman.
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2012, 08:55:27 AM »
I had my right one done and left until it was bone on bone. Had a consultation in August with McMinn and he was ready to do it then. I wasn't so he told me to ring him when I was, I only got to October and had to ring. Don't leave it too long I am going to get my Left done as soon as he says I can.

Jas
RBHR Mr McMinn 6th December 2011.
Tripped and crushed head under cap 31st January 2012.
Self repairing.

Dan L

• LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2012, 11:33:49 AM »
Welcome;

Understandably scary, but after going through it twice in the past year, was really much less of a problem overall than my preoperative jitters were telling me.  Make no mistake this is major surgery with a non-trivial recovery period, but the payoff of no more bone on bone pain when doing simple things, and many other improvements allowing one to return to pre bad hip form, for me was absolutely worth it.  I am incredibly happy I got it done, and I feel very, very fortunate to have none of the issues I had prior.  The recovery is a year, but at 9+ months on the one side now, I feel almost 100% with minimal stifness and muscle recovery pain.

You will know when it is time....read the stories here about how people were badly limited and had such contracted actvitity and how that improves dramatically after the recovery.  I find myself walking around with a involuntary smile on my face. 

I'm a Wolverine by birth, but an Ohioan most of my life (makes for an interesting 3rd saturday in November many  years); Dr Schmidt is a very experienced surgeon in your area, and Dr Brooks down here in Cleveland is also very experienced.  He sees many out of state and out of country (Canada) patients.

Good luck as you work through this.
LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012

maxx6789

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2012, 02:16:47 PM »
about being "scared" ... for my first hip, the day of the operation i was about 90% "scared" (of the unknown) and 10% excited about the future. for my second hip, i was more than 99% excited about the future and less than 1% "scared".

only you can determine for yourself when you are ready. for me ... my previous active lifestyle was so changed to the point when i was walking consistently with a limp and with discomfort (and i was only getting worse) ... i felt that i had to do something. so far, so happy!!
Left BHR Della Valle, Sept 14, 2011
Right BHR Della Valle, April 4, 2012

hoyt66

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2012, 04:01:52 PM »
Thankk you for the replies. Dr. Schmidt is one of the surgeons I have talked to.

hoyt66

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2012, 08:26:29 PM »
I have a second appt w/ Dr. Schmidt 8/2/12. I saw him last June. I think I will schedule resurfacing with him

after I ask a few more questions. In a perfect world I go in right after Thanksgiving and then back to work (desk

job) 1/3/13. Thoughts??

hernanu

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2012, 09:47:07 PM »
I think that's pushing it but only slightly.

I had my last done the day after thanksgiving, was back at work on 1/17. Five or six weeks was better for me. A week later did make a difference in endurance and ability to walk properly for recovery. This is a procedure that requires protection early on and is worth the patience. That's not denigrating work, just giving good recuperation its proper place.

I also work at a desk job, one where I forget about time, so had to schedule walk breaks on the half hour and other things. I was still beat at the end of the day, so plan on the first month or so being a slight challenge.

Excellent news about the appointment, good decision, there's plenty of happy Schmidt hippies here.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Tin Soldier

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2012, 07:49:53 PM »
A lot of suregons will only require a 2 week no-work period with the third week easing back in.  I believe though, that that would be for a desk job only.  If you were lifting or you were on your feet most of the day, then that is a whole different story and I would think most surgeons would not want you working for at least 4 weeks with a longer ease in period.  I think you'd be fine going back to work in early Jan, but it would depend on your recovery, your surgeon, and your job.

Ready?  I think most of us still questioned ourselves in the pre-op waiting room.  The younger you are, the more likely you'll be questioning up to the last minute.  The nice thing I discovered, is that I didn't know how bad it was until I started hobbling around in the hosptial, no pain, no numbness,...  Each day after that, it got better and better and ROM increased, I started doing things I hadn't done for a few years.  Long story short, I wasn't sure if I was ready until I had my hips fixed and then I knew I was ready and I was probably ready a couple years prior, just didn't know it.

Numbness - had quite a bit in my left quad low, by the knee, don't recall if it was related to a position/standing.  Mostly gone now.  I occassionally get a touch of numbness in my upper quad, now, but it's only when I am laying down. 

Good luck and stick around, You'll get lots of info here.   
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

rbt2011

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2012, 11:48:48 PM »
hoyt66,

Sorry it took me awhile to respond.  Hopefully, you are getting some answers to your question on this board and it's helping you think through your decision.

To answer your question, I am in Michigan and had my right BHR done 11/29/2011, with Dr. Phillip Schmitt at DMC HVSH in Commerce Township.  To say I recommend him and the facility is an understatement.  Dr. Schmitt is by far the most down to earth, no nonsense, ever available surgeon that I have ever dealt with.  If you have a question, he will answer it the best way he can.  I contacted him and his office A LOT before and after surgery and he ALWAYS took the time to answer each and every one of my questions. 

He is the most experienced in the Michigan with Brooks of the Cleveland Clinic and Rogerson in Wisconsin a few hundred or more ahead of him.  He hit 1000 a few months back and he does by his own admission take some of the more "borderline" cases that other surgeons tend to shy away from.  He trained with Mr. Treacy in 2006 in the UK and uses an anterior (Front) approach.  Ask him for his numbers (total numbers, total failures, and reasons for failure) and he should give them to you. 

As far as ever being ready for surgery, most people on this board understand exactly what you are going through.  I feel for you and know how difficult a decision it can be.  I am 37 and to have to have the surgery so "young" really was a kick in the nuts.  It sucks to know that your God made parts wore out so quickly but if you are eligible for a BHR, then consider yourself lucky.  5 or 6 years ago, we would have been put into THR's and sent out the door only to return in 15 years for round 2.  So, with any luck your BHR will last you a lifetime and you will never have to worry about it. 

The surgery itself was pretty easy.  Just show up and you should be good to go when you wake up.  I personally found that i experienced very, very little actual pain post surgery.  The biggest part is the mental fight and being patient with yourself in your recovery.  Truth be told, I am almost 8 months post op and just starting to feel "normal".  I still think about my hip every day, I am still very weak compared to pre-operation, but I have no pain when I walk and don't' wake up 5 times a night in pain.  The surgery really can be a game changer but you just need to have a positive attitude throughout the recovery process and be patient.

Anything you need, feel free to IM me.  I am not always on here but will get back to you ASAP.

Good luck
Right side BHR 11/29/2011

hernanu

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2012, 01:22:34 AM »
Great to hear from you Bob, glad you're getting there.

rbt2011

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2012, 10:18:47 PM »
Thanks Hern,

Feels really good to be back.  From reading your posts, it sounds like you are back to the martial arts like you never left. 
Right side BHR 11/29/2011

Rob6297

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2012, 10:37:43 PM »
Not many people could have been as nervous as me before that operation!  After, really wasn't even close to how I thought I would feel.  I truly only had the pain of a bad aching or pulsating leg. I always compare to the day after a hard running race when your legs just ache bad.  My point is don't be too nervous it won't be as bad as you think!  I was bone on bone in my right hip, and was very limited in what I could do for about a year before I was operated on. I could no longer tie my shoes without very bad pain and it took forever to try and accomplish.  You will know when it's time to get it done.  I would have opted much earlier if I wasn't so darn nervous.  Sounds like the surgeon you're thinking of scheduling with is a good one, by what others have replied.  It definitely is important to have a good surgeon with plenty of practice! 
Good luck with your choice!
Joe
Joe
RBHR 4/20/12 Dr. Su and Victoria

hernanu

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2012, 01:34:35 AM »
Thanks Hern,

Feels really good to be back.  From reading your posts, it sounds like you are back to the martial arts like you never left.

Not yet, Bob - still a ways to go, but the path will be fun. It already is.

hoyt66

« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2012, 04:10:42 PM »
Thank you everyoner for the words of encouragement. I have been fasting and praying hard for two days. I see Dr. Schmidtt on Thursday and I want to have a clear head. It's hard to think about not working. Todays work place is so competitive. My company stands behind me but you never want to sit out of the game. In 28 years I have never had a week off (only once) for vacation. My family relies on me to provide as do most of yours. I'm scared to be so vulnerable but I know I need to fix this. It's hard not having control...time to pray :-)

hernanu

« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2012, 07:48:01 PM »
Thank you everyoner for the words of encouragement. I have been fasting and praying hard for two days. I see Dr. Schmidtt on Thursday and I want to have a clear head. It's hard to think about not working. Todays work place is so competitive. My company stands behind me but you never want to sit out of the game. In 28 years I have never had a week off (only once) for vacation. My family relies on me to provide as do most of yours. I'm scared to be so vulnerable but I know I need to fix this. It's hard not having control...time to pray :-)

But you see, I think this is you taking control. The control of your body, your mental health, your overall life is being leeched away by the OA, untreated it will take you down.

I understand the competition, the uncertainty of this economy. I have two girls who were in college, with me as the main fund for their school, a freshly minted divorce with its financial accouterments, and a company that has been dealing with funding that may have been cut off (just was told that we were not being cut, so whew!!). I had my two surgeries in the middle of all that and would do it again in a hurry.

I've also sacrificed a lot of time to my work, giving priority to it, but one thing that I found was that your company and co workers can deal fine with your work while you're gone. It was a bit scary at first for me, since I had a massive project I was managing the second time around and I handed it off to someone who didn't have huge experience, but they survived. Although I didn't come back to that project, another one was in the wings and it was just as interesting. The plus was that I was coming back ready for the world, since both my hips were done. People thought I'd dropped weight, gotten a new haircut, something, but all it was was a better attitude and happier me since that pain was gone.

Now it's almost two years and I chuckle at my fretting over 4-5 weeks (twice), since I feel so good. It seems like forever, but really is small in comparison to how good you'll feel and how more energetic you'll be at work once this stoopid pain is gone.

Treat yourself to a better life, it's good to live without that pain.

hoyt66

« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2012, 11:28:07 PM »

But you see, I think this is you taking control. The control of your body, your mental health, your overall life is being leeched away by the OA, untreated it will take you down.

I understand the competition, the uncertainty of this economy. I have two girls who were in college, with me as the main fund for their school, a freshly minted divorce with its financial accouterments, and a company that has been dealing with funding that may have been cut off (just was told that we were not being cut, so whew!!). I had my two surgeries in the middle of all that and would do it again in a hurry.

I've also sacrificed a lot of time to my work, giving priority to it, but one thing that I found was that your company and co workers can deal fine with your work while you're gone. It was a bit scary at first for me, since I had a massive project I was managing the second time around and I handed it off to someone who didn't have huge experience, but they survived. Although I didn't come back to that project, another one was in the wings and it was just as interesting. The plus was that I was coming back ready for the world, since both my hips were done. People thought I'd dropped weight, gotten a new haircut, something, but all it was was a better attitude and happier me since that pain was gone.

Now it's almost two years and I chuckle at my fretting over 4-5 weeks (twice), since I feel so good. It seems like forever, but really is small in comparison to how good you'll feel and how more energetic you'll be at work once this stoopid pain is gone.

Treat yourself to a better life, it's good to live without that pain.

Thank you Hernanu. Good point about taking control of my body. This forum has been awesome! Thank you again

stephen1254

« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2012, 11:42:28 PM »
28 years without a week off? I'd get the hip done now and spend some time on the beach!

Seriously, when the OA gets really bad, if you are down to bone on bone or are having numbness, the one certainty is that it isn't going to get better. The operation holds out the very real possibility, if not probability, of all that pain going away.
RBHR Dr. Callander 3/27/12

stephen1254

« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2012, 11:43:57 PM »
Oh, and I was having my leg collapse underneath me regularly - probably something similar to the numbness you are experiencing.
RBHR Dr. Callander 3/27/12

Recent Posts

Advertisements

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Accordion Player Pat Webmaster/Owner

Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy

Statcounter

View My Stats