+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: 6 months now  (Read 3325 times)

midiowa

6 months now
« on: July 19, 2012, 01:20:43 PM »
been 6 months now, feeling little frustrated on the last couple weeks, been getting sore and limping at end of day, working more so maybe thats  the culprit, physical job. but thought i would be getting stronger buy now.  found out there is no starting burst of speed running at 6 months. trying to catch my little guy on runaway  motorcycle, face plant at 10 yards. all turned out good though.  anybody else feeling frustated..................Brad.

Dannywayoflife

Re: 6 months now
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2012, 01:28:24 PM »
Brad I think that 6 months is still real early. I think a lot of us don't realise how long it will take to feel 100% again. I've spoken to a lot of people who said they didn't feel 100% until around 2 years post op. This is major surgery and will take time to recover from. Also we do have an alian device put in us. I had my natural joint for 28 years I'm sure it will take me a while to get used to my new metal joint.
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

fenceman

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2012, 01:32:03 PM »
Brad, I also was not running marathons at 6 months.  In fact my Dr. said no running or jumping until 1 year even though I kept in pretty good shape.  My next big improvement was at 1 year.  I was surprised at how much more I improved at 18 months and 2 years.  Hang in there and you will get better.

Bill
L-BHR - Aug 2008 - Dr. Brooks  Cleveland Clinic Main Campus
R-BHR - Dec 2012 - Dr. Brooks  Cleveland Clinic Euclid Hospital
L-BHR Revision Nov 2017 - Dr. Brooks Euclid

hernanu

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2012, 04:30:35 PM »
Hey Brad, good to hear that you've reached the frustrated phase, means that no overall problems but just healing.

The worst of all possible advice to give you - patience... I know you want to launch into life since you feel generally good, but you've still got some ways to go, as the others have noted.

I was definitely still sore around the edges until 9 months or so, even had a few setbacks as I got back to some real activity - the treadmill followed by leg presses did me in a couple of times. I really didn't run with comfort until about a year, mostly run/walk for a bit. With a physical job, your body is now fighting itself, the big muscles rarin' to go and the smaller hip muscles trying like heck to keep up, but remember these were the most compromised.

Maybe it would help to do some stretches and exercises to help those muscles, it may be your best way to help them along. I started serious running (sprint / jog) in soccer after about 14 months, and still was missing that explosive first step, so be kind to yourself, you need more time, I think.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

midiowa

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2012, 04:37:03 PM »
good to hear from you guys its been awhile.

einreb

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2012, 07:36:14 PM »
6 months is still so early, there will be peaks and valleys!

-Bernie
40yo at the time of my 2/16/2011 left hip uncemented Biomet resurface with Tri Spike Acetabular cup by Gross

WTW15

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2012, 04:34:08 AM »
Mid- same thoughts - still 1 -2 limps once I get up from sitting for awhile, but that is better than the 2 - 3 from a few weeks ago.  Still some soreness in all those large muscle groups.  But in really 'checking in' with myself, I am amazed where I am and how awesome my hip really is.  Twinges now and then, but the O/A pain really is gone - the twinges are just rebuilding nerve endings and healing muscles (i think/hope)  ;)  Congrats on your 6 months!
Successful LBHR 1/19/12 Dr. Cynthia Kelly
Fear causes Hesitation and Hesitation causes your worst Fears to come true

bilateralbliss

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2012, 03:21:27 PM »
Leg muscles really hurting today after hilly walks BUT thanks to everyone on here I know it`s just healing and still early days, so shall keep it up :)
Bilateral BHR Dr McMinn 6Dec2011
Birmingham

jb46

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2012, 09:00:50 PM »
Brad...I'm a couple months behind you, just passed 4 months.
Have the occasional uncomfortableness, will limp/hitch on first couple of steps after sitting awhile now that I gave up Celebrex, want to start running even though I'm suppose to wait til 6 months.

But I had a bit of an epiphany this past month. Was getting frustrated that I couldn't run yet, that I still felt "awkward" when getting up after sitting or gettin out of a car, etc. Then I remembered that I hadn't really run in years, used to hurt ALL the time and that I was less than 4 months removed from major surgery. I began to realize that the 6 month mark wasn't the finish line, but only another milepost to blow by...getting better as we go.

Yup...we're gonna hurt sometimes. Yup, we're gonna be sore after pushing it. But we didn't get the magic pill. I'm pretty damn happy how well everything went so far especially when I hear about the cases that didn't go as well.

Sorry, this is about as rah rah as I ever get. Caught me on an emotional day. Hope you continue to heal well, and fast...and don't let the soreness get to you, probably only cause you did some things you hadn't done in a long time...and that should be looked at as a good thing...good luck...jb

hernanu

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2012, 04:36:36 PM »
Great post, jb.

pasinvabch

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2012, 08:10:31 PM »
I agree with jb.I too wanted to run at 6 month, but my doc told me a year. I tried anyway and ended up in pain and frustrated. After a few runs decided to give it up and wait out the year. In the meantime a did elliptical traininng, bike weights and flexibility and taught a few fitness classes ,,,The day of my check up i got fitted with running shoes  and started the process. Im not going to say it was easy, I wanted to do too much too soon but with a lot of patience I'm back at running. Next week I will participate in the Virginia beach half marathon and even tho Im not going to break any records ;D, I expect to finish God willing!! I have  trained up to 10.5 miles...the rest I will walk if I have to.
On top, I teach fitness classes for a living (Open my own cardio studio) and work for the Navy as a trainer.
I will be at 18 months in September!
In short: build up slowly and get the results you want. Sure everyone heals differently but for me, I had to go back to the "drawing board" many times and change things until I found what worked and what did not, and I still do not feel myself 100%
Good luck on your recovery
Piedad

hernanu

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2012, 08:28:17 AM »
Sounds like you're doing great, Piedad! I did not feel 100% at 17 months either, I'm at 24 now and I think mostly there. Still some work to do, obviously mostly muscular, overcoming seven years of muscular attrition.

Keep us posted on the half marathon and how you felt! Congrats on where you are.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal