+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Backache after hip resurfacing  (Read 2544 times)

Rach41

Backache after hip resurfacing
« on: July 22, 2012, 05:57:07 PM »
Hi all well I am 10 weeks post op on Tuesday😊 I had my right hip resurfaced. Yesterday I noticed that I was suffering from lower left back pain. Could this be related to my hip. When I walk I concentrate on striding out and not limping! I had a post op check a few weeks ago and everything was textbook and in a good place! Did anyone else have backache following resurfacing? ThanksL
Accis right hip resurfacing on 15.05.2012 by Mr Woodnutt, Morriston Hospital, Swansea

Woodstock Hippy

Re: Backache after hip resurfacing
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 06:23:29 AM »
Rach, First of all congratulations on your new hip.  The back ache definitely could be from working against the limp.  You have to keep working on it though and start doing some back stretching exercises.  In my 40 year career as a heavy construction carpenter I would have a lot of back aches, I'd get on the floor and stretch and pull it out after a couple of days.  Are you working with a PT?  They can get you started on stretching and stretching your back.
Bilateral, Dr Scott Marwin, NYU Joint Disease Hosp, 11/15/11

Rach41

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 08:18:40 AM »
Hi no I am not working with a PT but will look into it. Apart from this niggle in my back - the opposite side from where i had the op! I am thrilled as no more horrific bone on bone pain 😃
Accis right hip resurfacing on 15.05.2012 by Mr Woodnutt, Morriston Hospital, Swansea

Woodstock Hippy

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, 09:06:18 AM »
It's nice isn't it?  You'll get through the back problem.  It shouldn't be to much work and once you learn the exercises, you can do them a couple of times a week to keep your back in shape.

Even with the minor setbacks, it just keeps on getting better and better.  I'm at 8 months and I'm feeling like a new man.   I guess I really am; I've had surgery on both knees and both shoulders and both hips Resurfaced.  No wonder I feel so good!
Bilateral, Dr Scott Marwin, NYU Joint Disease Hosp, 11/15/11

mike1966

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2012, 10:43:10 AM »
Hi Rach,

I'm 15 weeks post op and struck similar problems at about 10 weeks. For me there were back problems on the non op side and IT band and knee problems on the op side. I think it came a few weeks after getting off walking aides. The best thing I did was get into the pool. I'm lucky to have a local aquatic centre with a warm programs pool. Walking, kicking etc, made me feel better almost instantly and I haven't looked back. Would really recommend it if you have access to a pool.

Cheers

Mike
LBHR 2nd April 2012 Dr Van Winden

Rach41

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2012, 02:53:51 PM »
Thanks mike I think yr right as I am completely off crutches now and have been for a week. Then again I was only using one when I went out and nothing at home! I am at the moment having a lovely hot soak and the pain is melting away in my back so getting in the pool is a must! It is also my non operated side where my back is aching! Rach

bilateralbliss

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2012, 12:40:56 AM »
Hi Rach, I`ve recently had some too, believe it`s also related to regaining leg muscles also starting to walk normally again!
Bilateral BHR Dr McMinn 6Dec2011
Birmingham

Jason0411

• Hotelier and Volunteer Lifeboat Crewman.
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2012, 03:41:22 AM »
It is a result of the whole way you carry yourself. If you are anything like me your back was probably not in the correct position for years. Then you get sorted and the muscles have to readjust.

People have commented that I look taller. Fact is I walk bolt upright now and stand bolt upright.
RBHR Mr McMinn 6th December 2011.
Tripped and crushed head under cap 31st January 2012.
Self repairing.

johnd_emd

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2012, 08:18:27 PM »
OH MAN DID I EVER!!!  I can't remember how many weeks out, but I had a bout of back pain so bad I couldn't even pick up my keys at work one day when I dropped them.  I ended up going to my family doctor and he gave me some tramadol and another very strong pain medication.  I used them a few times and it seemed to break the cycle.  Only thing I could figure was that I was now walking more normal, longer gate, etc., and everything in my pelvis was just adjusting, but it was causing pain.  Once it went away, it never came back.  I recently spoke to a friend of mine who got a new hip and he's going through it right now too. 
Dr. Rector
Feb. 1
Rt Hip Resurfacing
Birmingham

Rach41

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2012, 04:50:50 AM »
Thanks for all yr replies. Glad to know I am not alone. It has eased these last few days but I have started wearing flat shoes! Although the ones I was wearing before were only an inch high anyway! Getting there and love being able to sleep on my operated side which was my favourite side to sleep without the pain waking me up 😃

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat