+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Turning point  (Read 3724 times)

Dannywayoflife

Turning point
« on: July 25, 2012, 04:25:49 PM »
Well I think today might have been a turning point for me. And not for the good. I was working a job up in London for the Olympics and ended up doing a lot of walking probably 10miles or so throughout the day. Which was very uncomfortable but the thing that's mentally done me was right at the end of the day my mate got caught in the middle of a serious situation and called for urgent assistance. I had to run (I really didn't want to as I'm only 8-9 months post op) I had no choice as my mates were really in danger. And well the running well to say it didn't feel good on the hip would be an understatement!! I know in my heart of hearts from how it felt that I will never run again. It kinda Just made me realise that I will never regain my former self and it depresses me :( sorry to whinge.
Danny
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

hernanu

Re: Turning point
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2012, 04:47:07 PM »
Danny, you're not done yet. At that time, I was not able to run pretty much at all. I had to ease into it, even some of our runners have eased back into things. It didn't feel right to me for a good three to four months past that point. I'm more than capable of running now (it's the motivation that's lacking  ::) ).

I remember running by mistake three or four steps at 7 months, and it felt uncomfortable, slightly painful and foreign to me; I'm playing soccer and kicking the bejeebers out of the punching bag now.

You're feeling down, but as in all things, be patient, let it sit where it should, just something to gradually work on and you'll be surprised later. I get the feeling of needing to be fully healed, especially when you need to react, but you're getting there. If you look back on this at 2 years along, and it's still the same, then maybe, but now you still are healing and I think will be just fine.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 04:49:18 PM by hernanu »
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Mike D

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2012, 04:51:33 PM »
Hi Danny- sorry to read this. What a bad blow to take after your strong recovery so far- do you think it could be muscular rather than a problem with the BHR?
To run on top of walking 10 miles is a lot of exertion on the new joint- there is every chance that its a strain of some kind.
I hope it feels better after a nights rest. If not, I'm sure you wont hesitate in getting an x-ray and having a chat with Mr Treacy.
I hope you can stay positive- thinking of you, Mike.
Right Ceramic THR
Ronan Treacy   Birmingham R.O.H
8 August 2012

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2012, 04:55:16 PM »
Thanks hern but i just really don't see my body changing that much. I know I'm still healing etc which was one of the reasons I didn't want to run but as I say I wasn't going to leave my oppo on his own I'd rather die!
One of the things that felt so so wrong was what felt like the new geometry of my new hip. I've heard McMinn etc talking about re-centring the acetabulum but mine just felt so so wrong and I just don't see it changing so much that I'd feel "normal" again.
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2012, 04:58:07 PM »
Hay mike. I know that theres nothing wrong with the implant it's self. I've seen Mr T numerous times and other members of his team as well as 3-4 other surgeons have seen my xrays all have said "perfect". I just think I thought eventually I would get back to normal but I think I was expecting too much from the prosthetic implant.
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

Spanielsal

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2012, 05:09:32 PM »
Danny, breathe, you are only just post op. my hip is nine years old and looking back it didn't feel like it was natural for a good year or two beyond where you are. Baby steps, Danny, it is good (in a way) that you appreciate it's limitations now because your bone hasn't quite grown in and settled down around the prosthesis. I've been so happy with mine in the last few years which is why it is so gutting to have pain in it, which might well be referred or destabilisation due to muscle weakness but I sure as hell don't want to lose this hip. You need to cherish yourself, give your body stabilisation excercises for ages yet. It will get to be natural, it will feel right, just don't rush bone growth. Hang in there buddy. You are doing well. Xx
I'm a Hippy Hybrid!  L HR Cormet 2000 - Mr Villar, 12th June 2003 and R Corin mini hip - Mr Villar 7th August 2012

Spanielsal

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2012, 06:35:31 PM »
Was sitting in the bath hoping that the above didn't come across as disparaging. It really IS frustrating. I didn't have any expectations, just that a new hip would take away my pain and give me back mobility but would probably never recreate the natural hip joint. I was happily surprised when unbeknownst to me, it started to feel real, I forgot about it and acted like a normal person whether it was running after my kids, dogs or jumping off rocks and I was delighted when after doing stuff I "remembered" oh yeah, I've actually got a bionic joint .... Hey thats cool. Back then for me there was no surface hippy group, and as a non athlete I was just so happy to lose the pain. But Danny, cut yourself some slack, you know it is possible to do this stuff. However there is no substitute for time and you know that you can use that time preparing and strengthening. Xxxxx
I'm a Hippy Hybrid!  L HR Cormet 2000 - Mr Villar, 12th June 2003 and R Corin mini hip - Mr Villar 7th August 2012

David

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2012, 07:38:42 PM »
It is like starting over...your muscles are all out of sorts to put it simply.  If you have the patience and drive you can do whatever it is you wish...strenghten slowly and don't give up...
RBHR Dr. Su 8/29/2011
www.jayasports.com

Woodstock Hippy

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2012, 08:12:46 PM »
Whoa Dan, go easy on yourself.  You haven't run in how long?  And now you had to run, fast and hard on muscles that have been cut, stretched and reattached.  When I ran for the first time, it was slow for one minute and it felt weird.  Like with any setback, you have to back up and start over.  You can do it.

Don't give up.  Don't ever give up. (Jim Valvano)
Bilateral, Dr Scott Marwin, NYU Joint Disease Hosp, 11/15/11

obxpelican

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2012, 09:30:53 PM »
Dan,

I totally agree with Woodstock and others, you need to work slowly into running again, the fact that you did some running is actually good news. 

I would wait till a year, then work some jogging then slow runs and I bet you are good to go.

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2012, 01:01:33 AM »
Thanks guys I am in quite alot of pain today. As I've stated before I've never intended to run before my full 12 months but needs must. I haven't run since July 2010. However I still feel that maybe I was expecting too much from this though
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

Woodstock Hippy

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2012, 03:07:28 AM »
Dan, you can do it.  You just put yourself into the hurt zone in an emergency.  Let yourself recover and then get back into your recovery plan.  It will all work out in the long run.

How is your coworker?  What are you doing for the Olympics?
Bilateral, Dr Scott Marwin, NYU Joint Disease Hosp, 11/15/11

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2012, 03:16:01 AM »
Thanks wood I hope that your right. I'm not directly involved in anymore of the Olympics it's just my mate was thrown a fast ball and had to provide security to an event along the torch relay route. I had to look after a load of journalists. It was in the area of London that the riots started in the other summer(it's a bit of a hole!). My mucker was fine we managed to get the situation under control fairly swiftly (although I won't be winning any awards for diplomacy!!).
The hip is VERY sore today and its giving me a lot of shooting pains etc I only ran like 200M and was hardly sprinting. I've taken the worlds supply of brufen and if I'm still in pain at the end of the day I'll go to the ER just to get some films taken just to be on the safe side.
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

morph

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2012, 06:07:22 AM »
Mate, I am sure everything is fine and running will return to to normal gradually. You were forced to run after loads of walking, those muscles will have already been tired.  I would think running ideally needs to be broken in gradually just like walking after the op, the muscles have slow and fast twitch fibres, also running will be stretching the muscles and ligaments of the legs, hips, pelvis and back more than walking - you need to retrain the body and mind how to run again! The muscles will be stressed differently and the hip/back may not be probably re-aligned to your new correct position.  The joint is fine and you understandably have some muscle soreness, the running was awkward but you manage it and it will only get better gradually.

I think the treadmill with good trainers will be a good starting point but even the transition from treadmill to outside will work the muscles differently and there will most likely be soreness. Totally understand the frustration especially when your mates are depending on you, but you did your best and it will only get better, like walking, when you start running I am sure it will soon return.
LBHR - 58mm ball, 64mm cup
7th June 2012 - Mr J P Holland - Newcastle

Kiwi

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2012, 06:28:10 AM »
Danny mate, I agree with all these responses.  I'm about the same stage as you & I've tried a bit of jogging... not much 10-20 metres max at a time. It does not feel right yet, so like you, I'm waiting for the 1 year mark, but gradually building.
Going from no running for years, to a 200 meter run is no gradual build up, but I understand 100% why you did it & good on ya mate. Don't beat yourself up - you know it's early days.
LBHR 11/23/2011
56mm Head
Hugh Blackley (BHR Trained with Ronan Treacy)
Use it or lose it!

Anna

« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2012, 06:48:42 AM »
Dear Danny,

CALM DOWN!!!!!! I know this is frustrating for you because of how active you were before and because you like going into things all guns blazing but give your body a chance. Like you said, you havent ran for 2 years! Of course your hip isnt going to be completely happy right now. I agree with everyone else on here ...... you still have plenty of healing time ahead of you. You need to take it slowly and at 12 months start to build it up. I strongly believe that you will be back doing everything you want to, but its just not quite that time yet. IT WILL HAPPEN!

I know I cant comment much as I havent got a BHR but ...... well dont laugh as I know its completely different but ..... I twisted my knee and tore my cartilage last year (Exactly one year ago this month - and im not gonna tell you how I did it). I had key hole surgery which is absolutely nothing compared with what you guys have gone through. Anyway, id say its still improving now. A couple of months ago it was still niggling and I couldnt kneel on the floor. I thought that was it and that it was something that I would just have to get used to and that it would always be a 'little bit dodgy'. A couple of weeks ago I was doing the garden, I got half way round and realised id been fully kneeling for over an hour with no pain at all (Well, other than the excrutiating pain in my hip on the opposite leg!!!). I couldnt believe it. All im saying is, things take time. It will heal properly and you will get back to full fitness. Just dont get so angry with yourself now when you still have a bit further to travel. You are doing so well.

Anna x
RTHR - 08/08/2013 -Mr johan witt, London

rubyred

• Never Give Up
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2012, 07:38:45 AM »
Thanks wood I hope that your right. I'm not directly involved in anymore of the Olympics it's just my mate was thrown a fast ball and had to provide security to an event along the torch relay route. I had to look after a load of journalists. It was in the area of London that the riots started in the other summer(it's a bit of a hole!). My mucker was fine we managed to get the situation under control fairly swiftly (although I won't be winning any awards for diplomacy!!).
The hip is VERY sore today and its giving me a lot of shooting pains etc I only ran like 200M and was hardly sprinting. I've taken the worlds supply of brufen and if I'm still in pain at the end of the day I'll go to the ER just to get some films taken just to be on the safe side.

Danny, I know it's difficult but try not to worry. 7-8 months is nothing in terms of recovery and like others have said can take up to a year or two before things start to feel relatively normal.

I think it's wise to get yourself checked out if you're still in pain later. Best to be safe.
LBHR - 9th August 2012 - Mr R. Treacy

Welcome back to life.

Dee Dee

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2012, 07:59:44 AM »
Wow. You must be a little afraid from all the extra walking and then running.  I
can't imagine trying to run after a day like that. 
It sounds like you are wore out, sore and frustrated.  To be involved in the Olympics even for a little while is so cool, but you cant really enjoy it because you are in pain and worried about your hip. 

I know I am super sensitive/emotional about my recovery and I am only 9 weeks. It must be tough to still be dealing with issues at your stage of recovery.  From what i understand muscles and tendons can take a long time to get back strength, balance, flexibility and feeling normal. 

I hope you get some peace of mind and comfort from the pain!  Maybe a few sessions with PT would help you too.  keep us informed of your progress.

Dee
Right HR  5-23-12  Dr. Gross
Left HR 12-5-12 Dr. Gross

Spanielsal

« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2012, 03:35:12 PM »
Hey Danny, how is it today? Did the Brufen settle it down? Waiting for news from you. Xx

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2012, 03:55:22 PM »
Sal,
     If im honest its still hurting. Im proper fed up!
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat