+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Corin mini hip surgery scheduled  (Read 50535 times)

kamoynsgi

Re: Corin mini hip surgery scheduled
« Reply #60 on: September 12, 2012, 04:21:22 PM »
Well done Sal.  Know exactly what you mean about that realisation when you have done something new.  Almost sat down with my legs tucked underneath me earlier, but managed to stop myself in time. Don't think would be a good move yet.

Keep on with the walking and the swimming. 
L Hip Resurfaced 9 August 2012

Anna

« Reply #61 on: September 13, 2012, 04:20:01 AM »
A whole mile?!!! How many lamp posts is that Sal?

... and thanks Hern. Im suffering today after standing around for hours watching the tour of britain yesterday. Didnt sleep a wik last night! Finally have an appointment at the end of october. Seems miles away but fingers crossed I will get somewhere this time!  :)
RTHR - 08/08/2013 -Mr johan witt, London

Spanielsal

« Reply #62 on: September 13, 2012, 05:50:12 AM »
Oh I got lost counting ... Stuck at lots!   ;D

Actually walking is definitely improving. Slight limp so maintaining the 1 crutch and might move o a walking stick later. Boy do the sticks feel unstable now after crutches.

I've been to do my pool work out and am now exhausted, nap time!

Not too much longer Anna, I know it seems ges but it will fly by.  Have you thought about speaking to the secretary and telling her that Mr W said you need a THR, you might be able to provisionally book an op date... Just a thought. If you wait to see him, your op date will be correspondently later.  We just want you fixed too, ASAP xxx
I'm a Hippy Hybrid!  L HR Cormet 2000 - Mr Villar, 12th June 2003 and R Corin mini hip - Mr Villar 7th August 2012

Anna

« Reply #63 on: September 13, 2012, 06:27:23 PM »
I guess its only 6 weeks away now. I dont think they will book me in for an op when Mr W hasnt even seen me yet. Ah, ive been really hurting last night and today. Booo. I felt good yesterday  :-[

What kind of stuff have you been doing in the pool Sal?

Spanielsal

« Reply #64 on: September 14, 2012, 04:16:28 AM »
Hi Anna

Only six weeks away, not long really. I don't think it would hurt to ask the question But as we've previously discussed, I'm not patient and am a bit pushy when it comes to what is best for me and the family.

Glad you had a good day. Sorry you had a bad night and day to follow :(

The pool is fantastic. It's chest deep all over so I warm up walking 2 lengths forwards and backwards. Scissor kicks lying on a woggle, deep leg press type kicks also on the woggle, standing exercises : the basic side lifts, 45 degree behind lifts then kicks, standing n the woggle for resistance I lift op leg and push it back down, I have been known on very good days to do the side lifts with the woggle but can be scary! Then I swim legs only lengths front and back crawl, return to some of the standing exercises, and walk up the pool with bigger strides concentrating on heel toe and not falling over. Finally I give in and do some proper swimming then head off to the steam rooms. 

A lot of ministry of funny walks stuff and I do get some very odd looks!  I'm waiting for the opportunity to use Hern's "oh this....I was shaving...." but sadly I don't think it's going to arise  ::)

All that stuff plus breast stroke would be good pre op too. And of course your cycling!  How's the shoulder? Hope it's all better today. Xx
I'm a Hippy Hybrid!  L HR Cormet 2000 - Mr Villar, 12th June 2003 and R Corin mini hip - Mr Villar 7th August 2012

rubyred

• Never Give Up
« Reply #65 on: September 25, 2012, 06:04:46 PM »
How are you getting on Sal?
LBHR - 9th August 2012 - Mr R. Treacy

Welcome back to life.

Anna

« Reply #66 on: September 25, 2012, 06:16:24 PM »
Sorry Sal, I must have missed this reply!  :o

Im jotting down the pool exercises and all your tips!!! My shoulder is doing well thanks ... but thats probably because I havent been out on the road bike for a couple of weeks. Ive been sticking to the MTB with all this rain. Plus, I reckon that lovely wheat bag has done the trick. Its my favourite belonging  ;D

Anna

Spanielsal

« Reply #67 on: September 26, 2012, 08:19:33 AM »
Hi Ruby,

I'm doing really well thanks. Hope you're okay. I've been really busy just with stuff feeling a bit down but I think that's other stuff not the hip and im still exhausted. I don't seem to have the energy to pull myself out of it at the moment so just staying very quiet.  Doing what I can. Caught myself running up the stairs yesterday, was a bit early for that! Also tried to carry my old dog downstairs last night from the sitting room to kitchen, also too early. She's arthritic and I know how THAT feels!

I still can't get my socks on normally, but the hip feels ok, a little weak but ok.  This rain isn't helping because I just want to hibernate! Must push myself out of the door!  Hope you are all doing well! Glad the wheat bag helps Anna! Xx

rubyred

• Never Give Up
« Reply #68 on: September 26, 2012, 09:16:48 AM »
I know the feeling about lack of energy. I'm almost forcing myself to do at least a little walking every day, but what with the crappy weather just lately all I want to do is crawl under the duvet!

I've gotten rid of all walking aids now and it feels a little weak, but ok. I still feel as if I need some physio...
LBHR - 9th August 2012 - Mr R. Treacy

Welcome back to life.

Spanielsal

« Reply #69 on: October 12, 2012, 12:46:17 PM »
It feels like an age since I posted on my thread.  Life has been tough getting back to normal, the hip has been fine but there have been other challenges.  I had my sign off appointment yesterday which involved a trip from here in the Borders to London, it was 7am to 10.30pm all in, and I was all in afterwards but a really interesting and excellent appointment.  I walked miles around the London transport system and to and fro appointments all day and still managed to drive home (45mins) from the airport late at night.  All of these things would have been unthinkable 10 short weeks ago.  I remain incredibly grateful that I had this operation and the recovery has been very fast in reality although I did have my impatient moments  ;D

The surgical team member I met was very interesting, she says I'm hypermobile and this fact explains the reason why my MRI didn't show up the cartilage damage and why the X-rays show good joint space but in fact the condition of the joint is much worse in reality than these tools show up.  I was incredibly lucky to have a surgeon who was able to see my lack of quality of life and schedule the surgery despite the tools of MRI and X-ray not showing up the damage as they would in normal people.  Sigh, I always have to be difficult!  :D

I've tried to attach a photo of my wonderful new hip.  All signed off as in perfect working order.  I still have groin pain when trying to lift a straight leg up off the bed and I still have lots of work to do to be fit and strong, however, I'm so darned happy to be back to life.  My kids are delighted, My husband too. 

I pray we won't go back to those dark days but logically I know that there are more surgeries in my future.  I am sad not to have a resurfacing on both sides particularly given the longevity that we all expect from them but the trade off was that I was fixed, I'm out of pain.  I still feel bitter about the surgeon who told me that joint replacement therapy wasn't appropriate for me and also the surgeon who requested that I prove my problems with a scope operation first.  For those with hypermobility apparently it is normal to have such a long recovery after arthroscopy surgery which was the way for me.  Much longer than the recovery from my hip resurfacing or my minihip, so you can imagine my feelings when asked to go through that just to prove my problems.  Couldn't they just listen to me and my quality of life? clearly not, but now I have a bright new shiny hip, hopefully I have overcome my technical problems and have uploaded my file so you can see it too.

thank you hippys, I am so grateful for all the support and help.  I'm eternally grateful to my wonderful surgeon too.  Time to pay it forward now.  (oscar speech ends! ::))

Sal

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #70 on: October 12, 2012, 01:00:16 PM »
Hi Sal

Thanks for the update.  Glad things are now going well for you.  Thanks for sharing so others can learn.  I hope you continue to get better and better.

Stay in touch when you can.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

lycraman

« Reply #71 on: October 12, 2012, 05:12:18 PM »
Sal

That's great news that things have gone so well for you, especially after all the initial frustrations of getting to your surgery.  Keep up the progress with all your exercise and I'm sure it will continue to improve for you.
Left Birmingham Hip Resurfacing
11th September 2012
Mr Ronan Treacy 54mm head 60mm cup

hernanu

« Reply #72 on: October 12, 2012, 07:04:02 PM »
Sal, that's a great story. Love to hear the good results.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Anna

« Reply #73 on: October 13, 2012, 04:20:17 AM »
Yippidydippidydooooooooooooo  ;D

kamoynsgi

« Reply #74 on: October 15, 2012, 05:22:20 PM »
Brilliant news Sal.  Enjoy!
L Hip Resurfaced 9 August 2012

Spanielsal

« Reply #75 on: November 01, 2012, 11:39:18 AM »
and today I started in the Gym! it is getting better and better.  ROM is good, some muscle weakness but all fixable with a bit of work.  I truly have my life back and I couldn't be happier.

hernanu

« Reply #76 on: November 01, 2012, 12:23:13 PM »
 ;D

My brother in law (corin mini hip too) hits the gym three to four times a week, is at 1 year or so, couldn't be happier.

Mike D

« Reply #77 on: November 01, 2012, 03:31:15 PM »
Hi Sal,
Just caught up on your thread-what a great x-ray!
It looks absolutely perfect, so neat and tidy. I'm going to ask for my x-ray-I hope it looks like that!
Right Ceramic THR
Ronan Treacy   Birmingham R.O.H
8 August 2012

Spanielsal

« Reply #78 on: January 08, 2013, 06:17:10 PM »
Just thought I'd close out my thread. I have nearly forgotten all about hip pain.  Sometimes I remember that I've had surgery but most of the time I'm just getting on with life.  Sure I'm a little cautious at times (although I'm hankering after waterfall abseiling) but for anyone reading this in the future worrying about life afterwards, I hope you are as lucky as me, to be given back my life not once but twice I am truly blessed.

Thank you to the wonderful hippies, I check in infrequently now, but remain grateful always

Sal

hernanu

« Reply #79 on: January 08, 2013, 10:12:40 PM »
Great to hear from you and how good it's going.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Yesterday at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal