+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: To convert to THR or revise the Cup?  (Read 5244 times)

spike

To convert to THR or revise the Cup?
« on: July 27, 2012, 01:09:21 AM »
Wow
I have posted that I  have a major cup placement issue. I cant make up my mind whether to just go and have the resurfacing converted to a THR and get it over with or try to save the Resurf.
I am almost blind from trying to find info and stats on Cup only Revisions on the computer, as I really want to save my BHR . If there's stats on it I sure cant find them.
 Whats frustrating is I  have talked with a number of respected docs and its 50/50 .   Some Say that there's a good chance they can save it but there is no promises.  Some say they feel I should just convert to ceramic THR.

I have already made one bad call and its even more frustrating to have lost all my self confidence in picking another Doc. I cant afford to make another mistake. I have underlying health concerns and multiple surgeries wont win any popularity contests with them.

So I am asking for help (again) :-\

So straight up, is there anyone  on our thread that had their cup only revised and saved their Resurf? If so, who did it, and was it successful?

Thanks so much

Dannywayoflife

Re: To convert to THR or revise the Cup?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012, 01:27:41 AM »
Spike THE key to the problem for you is simple SURGEON CHOICE. There's a fairly short list of surgeons I personally would trust with that. They would be Treacy or McMinn here in the UK. Koen De Smet in belgium. Vijay Bose in India and Drs Gross, Su and a couple of others in the US. You really really need THE most experienced Doc you can find for a partial revision. McMinn takes US insurance by the way 
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

Spanielsal

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2012, 08:18:38 PM »
Hi Spike, I'd echo Danny too, the only cup only revision I heard of was McMinn. Why ont you give his team a ring? They're happy to talk through stuff. Ask for Hena Ziaee, clinical research scientist. Nice lady. She was great with me despite me not seeing Mr Mcminn. Keep looking, being picky is good, you're worth it. Xx
I'm a Hippy Hybrid!  L HR Cormet 2000 - Mr Villar, 12th June 2003 and R Corin mini hip - Mr Villar 7th August 2012

obxpelican

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2012, 08:57:50 PM »
I would want to keep my BHR, have you contacted Dr. Su, I assume you live in the states???

As others have said, experience counts, re-doing a cup this long after surgery requires skill to get it right, albeit the second time.

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

einreb

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2012, 12:09:59 PM »
SURGEON CHOICE

what he said.  the top guys aren't necessarily more expensive (sometimes cheaper) and a flight and hotel stay is a small price to pay for doing it right.

I know gross has done several cup only revisions.
40yo at the time of my 2/16/2011 left hip uncemented Biomet resurface with Tri Spike Acetabular cup by Gross

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Yesterday at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear