+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: help!  (Read 2066 times)

Hockeyref17

help!
« on: August 01, 2012, 09:08:15 PM »
I am new to the site and would appreciate some guidance. I have a consultation Aug. 10th with Dr. Brooks at the Cleveland Clinic. I am looking into the resurfacing of my left hip. I officiate about 70 or so college and high school hockey games a season. Hoping to have the surgery in October or November. Wondering if anyone has skated or played hockey after the procedure and if so how soon were you back on the ice? golf? I have had many procedures in my 48 years and this one really has my attention. Needless to say I am a little nervous. I have read mostly good things but I know with any surgery there is a risk. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Keith

hernanu

Re: help!
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 11:07:28 PM »
Hi Keith, welcome to the site, you're in the right place. I think you'll find plenty of hockey players, just this month a goalie checked in to see whether he would be able to continue after the procedure; another goalie already back to playing answered him. I hope several will check in, but I do think it's possible in time. I don't play hockey but did (and still do) use a slide board for recuperation, so take that for what it's worth.

I know a lot of people have gone back to golf; I'm in the process of getting back to martial arts, along with others. You can check, we have many triathlon athletes, motorcycle and bicycle athletes, competitive horse riders, runners, sprinters, skiers, surfers, basketball, a long and illustrious list of sports that hippys return to.

The risk is there, but the odds are heavy for success (96% at last check), and Dr. Brooks has a great reputation. Everyone is nervous, but it is a real gamechanger and lets you get your life back. Check out the site, there's a list of questions to ask your surgeon here:

http://www.surfacehippy.info/questionsfordoctor.php

Print it out, bring it to the consultation, and you can get your questions answered.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 11:08:16 PM by hernanu »
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

einreb

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 08:44:24 AM »
Wondering if anyone has skated or played hockey after the procedure and if so how soon were you back on the ice?

Here's a guy playing hockey at 7 months...

http://vimeo.com/3990767

golf?

I played golf at around 4 months. Here's a video of my first tee shot post resurfacing...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3YCeeRbuWY

-Bernie
40yo at the time of my 2/16/2011 left hip uncemented Biomet resurface with Tri Spike Acetabular cup by Gross

Hockeyref17

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2012, 09:20:37 PM »
thanks for all the help! I appreciate it, Its really nice to see all the support in this site. I will keep you informed on my progress and decession going forward.

Keith

teaching tennis

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2012, 08:46:56 AM »
Dr. Brooks is a great choice in surgeons.  When the crutches were taken away at 6 weeks after an xray and ROM test, and I was told I could do everything but run, jump and weights, I got on the sidewalks and the limp was gone in 2days.  I was back teaching tennis following the DR's directions at 71/2 weeks post op.  I haven't had the inevitable set back yet.  Lot of info on this site about patients getting back to their lives with no restrictions.  That's why we chose the BHR vs the THR.  Best of luck   

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2012, 04:18:30 PM »
Hi
Welcome to Hip Talk.  Dr. Brooks is an excellent hip resurfacing surgeon.

I have stories here about many athletes that have returned to their sport.  There are also many firemen, policemen and servicemen that have returned to service.

http://www.surfacehippy.info/athletes.php

If a person has been active all their life in a sport, then there is no reason they can't return to it after they have healed.  It is sometimes diffiuclt to be patient to let the healing process happen, but it is important not to push too soon.  Dr. Brooks will give you input of when he feels you are ready to return to full activities.

Good Luck.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat