+-

Advertisements

Welcome Back

The Hip Talk Discussion Forum was hacked a few weeks back. It has taken me a long time to fix it. The only backup I could use was way back to April 2020. All members and posts up to that date are available. Anything newer has been lost. I am sorry, but that has been the only way to get things up and running again.

Author Topic: 1 year post op  (Read 2604 times)

Denver_wrench

1 year post op
« on: August 04, 2012, 08:59:54 PM »
So, I hit one year on June 9th 2012, and my hip is performing beautifully. I have some stiffness in the groin and periformis, but nothing that impedes my activities. I had planned on taking it a bit easy at work this year, but having the mixed blessing of being in the air conditioning/refrigeration business coupled with the hottest summer in Colorado history I've been working like a rented mule. My hip's reaction to this has been great, it actually feels better. I had my one-year checkup (a bit late) last week and my surgeon says it looks "perfect" (and my knees are in much better shape than I had expected, to boot). I'm looking forward to ski season, and I would like to hear other hippies thoughts on that sport, as well as impact activities and weight-bearing.
LBHR June 9, 2011, St. Joseph's, Denver, CO

johnd_emd

Re: 1 year post op
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2012, 11:04:32 PM »
Congratulations on your annual report-card!!!  Must feel great.  I would think you'd be fine to ski this Winter.  Did you ask your doctor at your check up?  Biggest thing is DON'T FALL ANY ROOFS WHEN YOU'RE WORKING!!! 
Dr. Rector
Feb. 1
Rt Hip Resurfacing
Birmingham

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2012, 02:39:32 AM »
Congrats mate and long may it continue!!
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

bilateralbliss

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2012, 07:01:20 AM »
Great news- am sure sking will now be fine, I was told ok after a year :)
Bilateral BHR Dr McMinn 6Dec2011
Birmingham

John C

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2012, 10:02:56 PM »
Hi Denver-wrench,
There are lots of people on here who have gotten back to skiing. I was a competitor when I was younger, and have been teaching full time for over forty years. Here was my time table and experience.
A few days before six months, I hiked up the mountain just before opening day, and made one run; very tentative.
Started the season at six months. Tentative first few runs on the beginner slopes with some weakness and twinges, but skiing steep powder and crud fairly aggressively by the end of the first day. I was a little sore afterwards, but it felt like early season soft tissue soreness. Really nervous and uncomfortable with even very tiny air.
Taught pretty much full time all season (basically 7+ hours a day, seven days a week). Avoided any bumps the first few months, but started skiing soft bumps by the end of the season. Hip felt a little weak sometimes with occasional soft tissue twinges, but only hurt when skating across the flats due to soft tissue healing. Interestingly, stepping down stairs in ski boots was more disconcerting than skiing, due to the impact.
Went heli-skiing in Canada at 18 months, with no problems. Teaching full time ever since; high angle carving, gates, powder, crud, and some bumps. I do avoid fast icy zipper lines, partly because of my other hip. I am comfortable with moderate air again, though it took a couple of years before skating was comfortable which shows how long the soft tissue still heals for.
By the way, my docs advice was to start skiing gradually at six months, and to avoid bumps, double black diamonds, and impacts for one year; basically stay in your comfort zone. Pretty much what I adhered to.
I have had half a dozen students who had hips replaced. Most had THRs, and all came back happy though most fairly conservatively, and one in his sixties who had a resurfacing and came back charging in all conditions. I have seen a couple of small head THRs dislocate on the mountain, but no problems among the 4 or 5 resurfacings that I have skied with. I think about six or seven guys on our ski patrol have replaced hips or knees, so you will find plenty of company out there.
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

WTW15

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2012, 02:43:11 AM »
Congrats D-W! 
I am planning on skiing this season.  With any luck, by Nov or Dec, which will be just short of 1 yr.  My 6 month appt has been postponed, but barring any bad news from that, which I doubt, as I feel GREAT, I can't imagine the dr telling me not to ski. 

So good to see posts about passing 1 yr and feeling so Good!
Successful LBHR 1/19/12 Dr. Cynthia Kelly
Fear causes Hesitation and Hesitation causes your worst Fears to come true

hernanu

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2012, 01:33:55 PM »
Congrats on the one year - not a downhill skier, but do frequent the lodges after some cross country (when it snows here in New England). Sounds great on the work side.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 01:34:28 PM by hernanu »
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Spanielsal

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2012, 03:37:45 PM »
Inspiring! I never dared go back to skiing but I really would like o, particularly after reading your posts. Well done on your anniversary.
I'm a Hippy Hybrid!  L HR Cormet 2000 - Mr Villar, 12th June 2003 and R Corin mini hip - Mr Villar 7th August 2012

Denver_wrench

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2012, 03:33:06 PM »
John, if you don't mind me asking, where do you ski? I'm a Jane guy, myself...have the WP/Copper pass this year. 'Cause, you know, I'm an optimist.

John C

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2012, 04:25:50 AM »
Hi Denver,
I've been teaching full time up in Sun Valley for over 40 years now. We take a heli-skiing trip up to Mike Weigele's every December, and sneak away to Grand Targhee and the Yellowstone Club at the start and end of the season for some play time.
I've had some fun trips down to your neck of the woods; some students flew us down a few years ago to ski with them at Vail one year and Beaver Creek another. Skied Aspen and Vail for some of the first mogul and aerial contests back in the early 70s; won one aerial event at Aspen Highlands and got to visit the emergency rooms at both Aspen and Vail  :o  :'(
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

luann again

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2012, 05:31:26 AM »
Congrats! Thanks so much for letting us know! Lu
Dr. Sparling WA Wright C+ 2010 right hip, petite female done at age 45

hernanu

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2012, 04:57:55 PM »
How's it going luann?
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

lori.36

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2012, 07:18:46 PM »
I was released to go skiing/snowboarding at 6 months, but told to take it easy.  So I stayed out of the parks and did very little jumping and I had a great season.  I should mention that I learned how to ski at that time, so I stayed on groomers and green runs, but on powder days, I was on my board, but no jumping.
Who did your surgery DW? 
L-BHR 5-11-2011 Dr Rector
R-HR 9-11-2015 Dr Gross

Denver_wrench

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2012, 02:41:59 PM »
My surgery was at St. Joes by Drs. Gargaro and Swenson. So far, so good. I'll be throwing on diving gear in a couple weeks.

Jason0411

• Hotelier and Volunteer Lifeboat Crewman.
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2012, 03:06:51 PM »
YOur story is exactly the type we all want to hear. Brill.
RBHR Mr McMinn 6th December 2011.
Tripped and crushed head under cap 31st January 2012.
Self repairing.

Recent Posts

Advertisements

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Accordion Player Pat Webmaster/Owner

Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy

Statcounter

View My Stats