+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Why don't more people participate in doctor chats?  (Read 2186 times)

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Why don't more people participate in doctor chats?
« on: August 08, 2012, 03:55:29 PM »
I was wondering why more people don't participate in the doctor chats?  I can guess that some people don't care about the specific surgeon, but all the surgeons that agree to do the chats are very experienced.  They take time out of their very busy schedules to do the chats.

The chats are an opportunity to ask real hip resurfacing surgeons the questions that are so often posted here for other patients.  Why not ask the doctors and get answers from an experienced source.

The chats are hosted on my own website with my own flash software program.  It is hosted by my domain host.  I had to install the software and am the only administrator for the program.  I monitor the chats.

I don't know if people are just afraid to enter a chat room in fear that there will be some naked ladies there or someone will try to take advantage of them :P  Or they just plain don't want to participate.  I would like to know why more people don't participate.  We had about 15 folks last night.  I know it is a bit slow in waiting for the surgeon to type the answers, but you do have an experienced hip resurfacing surgeon on the other end of the chat answering your personal questions. 

I would like to have live video chats, but they are very, very expensive and I don't have hundreds of dollars to spend.  I have tried to get the medical companies to host them or pay for chat hosting, but they don't seem interested.  Maybe if you could watch the surgeon it would be more interesting.

I would appreciate some input as  to why people don't participate.  Maybe people just don't care and I should not do them.  The doctors seem to enjoy them and it is nice to be able to post the transcripts of the questions and answers.  It is a little embarasing, however, to only have a small handful of folks participate in the chats.

Pat
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 03:56:03 PM by Pat Walter »
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Boomer

Re: Why don't more people participate in doctor chats?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 04:08:03 PM »
My apology to you Pat for missing the opportunity to participate in the chat. I had thoughts to share, but simply forgot to join in. I have no excuses. I should have set a reminder in my planner or IPhone.

Sorry

Boomer
RBHR with Dr. Rector on 11/30/2011
LBHR with Dr. Rector on 6/11/2012

Baby Barista

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 05:10:15 PM »
I think for us Left Coasters and even the Mountain Time folks... getting to a computer at 5:30 or 6:30pm can be challenging. I was still at work, but was fortunately able to sneak in one last question before it was over.

Also, there are ways you could have an video chat that would cost nothing. You could have people submit questions via email and send a video stream of a doctor answering those questions via Ustream or Justin.tv. It would be interactive and would allow a doctor to just talk instead of type. Just a thought.
LBHR Pritchett 01/23/12 - 52mm head, 58mm cup
RBHR Pritchett 12/10/12 - 52mm head, 58mm cup

hernanu

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2012, 05:29:02 PM »
Yup, both Justin TV and Ustream work well (my daughter sings online on Justin), they have a chat attached to the video stream where people could pose questions.

As to why I missed it, I meant to drop in, but completely forgot. No excuses, was interested and definitely gained information from the chat log once it was posted. I did a forehead dope slap when I saw it this morning. Maybe naked ladies might have helped me remember  ;D

Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Anna

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2012, 05:35:55 PM »
My excuse Pat ..... im a technophobe. (Im from Yorkshire. Ive just got used to working a television!) I did notice the little red box saying there was going to be a chat but I really had no idea how to get involed or what it entailed. It sounds great though and I really think you should keep it up.

I promise I will use my brain and figure out how to get involved next time.

Anna x
RTHR - 08/08/2013 -Mr johan witt, London

Tin Soldier

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2012, 04:01:54 PM »
Good point Baby B.  I'm on the west coast also and getting up at 5:30 happens, but not too often.  Although, I'll be taking a 6 hour drive to Seattle to have a 15 minute appt with Pritchett next week, for which I'll be asking lots of questions.  So I guess that's not a good example of why I wouldn't get up early to chat with a surgeon.

Pat - Is 15 a low number?  It seems to me that if 15 participants all asked a question or 2, you'd have a pretty full hour and everyone would have an oppurtunity to participate.  I certainly think it would be nice to show a surgeon that you have 100 hungry participants, but there's no way everyone would get their questions answered.

I think its a great idea to have the chats with surgeons and I think there are probably a lot of newer HR folks that could gain a lot of info and confidence by participating.
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

bilateralbliss

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2012, 11:02:21 PM »
I honestly didn`t know they existed. It`s a great idea, would love to join in. Sorry Pat for being dumb:(
Bilateral BHR Dr McMinn 6Dec2011
Birmingham

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2012, 08:52:03 PM »
15 are not many participants.  I have had close to 50 at some.  Many people don't ask questions.  I just think it looks better for the doctor if he sees a nice group of folks in the room since he is taking time out of his busy schedule to do these.

I am trying to get a vido chat program to work. It is suppose to be part of this discussion group, but I can't make it work right.  I have it posted on a seperate page.  One evening I would like to just have a little group of us meet and introduce ourselves and answer any patient questions that we can for new people. I am thinking of not only having doctor chats, but maybe a patient from a few of the top surgeons so people can learn more about experience with that surgeon. 

It takes it a little time to log in.  I have the program as a free trial for 10 days to see if I like it. Then I have to pay for it and maybe extra hosting is we start to get much participation.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 04:39:40 PM by Pat Walter »
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

bilateralbliss

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2012, 10:45:37 PM »
Another excellent idea, patients too. Which timezone is the 8pm? So I can work out if I could join in.
Birmingham

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2012, 10:58:50 PM »
8 pm EASTERN time.  I am in Ohio.  Maybe 9 would be better for anyone on the west coast.  You need to have a laptop or computer with a video camera and microphone built in to make it easy to use in the chat room.

If people are interested, let me know here.  I can make it either 8 or 9 depending when they want to chat.  It will just be a short one where we can say hi and answer any basic questions.

Pat
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

bilateralbliss

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2012, 10:13:34 PM »
Thanks Pat, would be difficult for me to join in as live in UK. Hopefully another time
Birmingham

Jason0411

• Hotelier and Volunteer Lifeboat Crewman.
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2012, 04:27:53 AM »
Timing is our problem this side of the pond. I think 8.00pm would be 2.00am

Jas
RBHR Mr McMinn 6th December 2011.
Tripped and crushed head under cap 31st January 2012.
Self repairing.

Tin Soldier

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2012, 03:15:50 PM »
Maybe 2 different meetings, once the bugs get worked out?  One more closely connected to UK/Euro and one more connected with US?  Could be a lot of extra work.

I missed this, since I have been only getting on here once in a awhile.  I'll try next time as I'd like to help you get the system working.  I think chat with or without a doc would be an excellent resource for new folks. 
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Today at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
Yesterday at 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal