+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Used the foam roller for first time - sore soft tissue! Normal?  (Read 3311 times)

23109VC

I had my left hip resurfaced in Feb of 2011.  I have
Little to no pain at al unless I run.  If I try to run, after about 1/2 - 3/4 of a mile I get mild soreness near the incision... A few ppl her suggested I try a foam roller.. Thinking I have tightness in my IT band... Last night I bought one and rolled on it.. Today I noticed soreness where I rolled on it.

Nothin serious... But what I might compare to how you fel after a workout.

Is that normal?  How often should I use the roller?
Sean
Dr. Gross- Left Hip - 2/23/11, Right Hip 7/19/23

hernanu

Re: Used the foam roller for first time - sore soft tissue! Normal?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012, 10:38:42 AM »
Hey Sean, I answered on the other post, but it was normal for me at first to be a bit sore - it's like a deep tissue massage; your muscles are tight and not used to it.

I fairly quickly (about two three weeks) got used to it, and since then it's still not thorough fun, but the muscles are more relaxed and used to it. I do it every other day now or every three days if I'm sore from it (which doesn't happen much any more).
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

23109VC

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2012, 03:13:20 AM »
The soreness I had from using the foam roller has pretty much disappeared....so I'll give it another go.

I read some stuff online  saying foam rollers are worthless and don't help....but I'm hoping that is wrong and that I will benefit from it.

I'll be sure to update my progress and let you all know if I can tell any improvement after using it a while.

Did you think it helped hernanu?
Sean
Dr. Gross- Left Hip - 2/23/11, Right Hip 7/19/23

metoo

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2012, 11:40:33 AM »
I used the foam roller before surgery, and will again in the future.   Starting out, I would adjust the pressure/intensity so that I did not get as sore.  When I first started,  I asked my wife to help me.   I lay on my side on the floor while she moved the roller over my leg.   Her hands were together and positioned on the roller directly over my leg.  She would roll it up/down my side applying the necessary pressure.   After a few sessions I was able to do it on my own, placing the roller between me and the floor.

Right hip.  Dr Gross, 5/16/2012

hernanu

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2012, 12:34:10 PM »
The soreness I had from using the foam roller has pretty much disappeared....so I'll give it another go.

I read some stuff online  saying foam rollers are worthless and don't help....but I'm hoping that is wrong and that I will benefit from it.

I'll be sure to update my progress and let you all know if I can tell any improvement after using it a while.

Did you think it helped hernanu?

I think it definitely helped me. It's like a sport massage isolated on the tightest (IT band) part of my legs. I did a lot of other stuff, but after the soreness went away, I was doing it 2-3 times a week and feel like it definitely loosened my leg(s) up.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal