+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Not a Hippy-but I'm happy  (Read 93972 times)

rubyred

• Never Give Up
Re: Not a Hippy-but I'm happy
« Reply #100 on: September 03, 2012, 02:50:41 PM »
How goes things Mike?
LBHR - 9th August 2012 - Mr R. Treacy

Welcome back to life.

Mike D

« Reply #101 on: September 03, 2012, 03:15:24 PM »
Hi Ruby
It's going really well, thanks. Hope its the same with you. I'm back at work with my son-not actually doing anything, just dictating from a comfy chair!
The job is local so no problems travelling, and I can do everything there that I can do at home-apart from sneaking an afternoon nap in.
It's good to have something else to think about but It's also tempting to help out so I'm forcing myself to stay in the seat!
Can't wait to ditch the crutches in a couple of weeks and hopefully try some swimming and possibly get on the exercise bike for a short spell.
I'm hoping to see you at ROH in a couple of weeks if we're there at the same time.
I know you've had a few bad days but glad you're on the up now. Stick in there, Ruby.
Right Ceramic THR
Ronan Treacy   Birmingham R.O.H
8 August 2012

rubyred

• Never Give Up
« Reply #102 on: September 03, 2012, 04:49:24 PM »
It definately has been a tough few days, but I've been out and about a little more which has helped. Seeing people and just getting some fresh air has been good.

Still having trouble with my groin muscle though. Very, very sore and it's preventing me from bending the leg up and down. But i'm shuffling about a little more without crutches, albeit very slowly! Hopefully may be off them soon.

I see Mr T on the 19th, but the time escapes me!

Welcome back to life.

Mike D

« Reply #103 on: September 10, 2012, 01:06:57 PM »
Hi all-
Hope everyone is as pain free as can be and taking it easy.
I'm off the codeine and just taking a paracetemol as and when required and its not been as bad as I thought.
A few twinges, and some pain in the night but its tolerable so I'm happy to be taking less pills.
What still surprises me is the confident feeling of having a good night that is blown away when the next night is tough!
Every time I have a good night, I think I've cracked it. Looking back through the diary shows the progress though-thanks to whoever had that suggestion.
I've set myself three targets, to do in any order- get off the crutches, go swimming and get back on the exercise bike.
Then a holiday! Can't wait.
Right Ceramic THR
8 August 2012

rubyred

• Never Give Up
« Reply #104 on: September 10, 2012, 06:18:00 PM »
Hi all-
Hope everyone is as pain free as can be and taking it easy.
I'm off the codeine and just taking a paracetemol as and when required and its not been as bad as I thought.
A few twinges, and some pain in the night but its tolerable so I'm happy to be taking less pills.
What still surprises me is the confident feeling of having a good night that is blown away when the next night is tough!
Every time I have a good night, I think I've cracked it. Looking back through the diary shows the progress though-thanks to whoever had that suggestion.
I've set myself three targets, to do in any order- get off the crutches, go swimming and get back on the exercise bike.
Then a holiday! Can't wait.

Glad to hear you're doing so well!

Night times are my worst. I just cannot get comfortable! I'm lucky in that I can now lay on my un-operated side and on my front, but I still figit and twitch about like you wouldn't believe! Kinda thankful I don't have to share the bed with anyone or they wouldn't be getting much sleep lol.

Believe it or not, your three targets are mine too! I'm down to one crutch, but I can shuffle around carefully without... definately not enough to come off them completely though. I'm on and off the meds like you wouldn't believe though I can go some days without taking anything.

Got to encourage the small victories though - we'll get there!!

Welcome back to life.

Mike D

« Reply #105 on: September 10, 2012, 06:47:00 PM »
Just keep plugging away, Ruby. It will definately come.
I've had a few strange moments where major doubt has crept in to my thoughts-on at least three occasions I've wished I could turn the clock back and not have the surgery but they've all been in the dead of night when I've been in pain.
After a couple of codeine, when I've loosened up, I feel great and wonder what I was thinking about!
The worst times are through the night without a doubt.
After a week at home I got myself convinced that something had slipped as my hip looked enormous-I then read Jason's post where that actually happened and had a couple of dark days dwelling on it.
I nearly rang the ROH but then thought- I haven't slipped, walked without crutches, bashed it, nothing.
I thought about Mr T's track record, looked through the old recovery posts here and was finally satisfied that I'm ok.
I think if we could all meet up and talk face to face, we would all put one anothers minds at rest and share our odd thoughts.
The speed of recovery for different people seems amazing sometimes- I know of a builder who had a THR early this year and went back to work three weeks to the day of his surgery!
He's climbing ladders, laying bricks-pretty much everything he was doing before. I think he's mad but I heard last week he's doing great, no pain, no limping.
I just hope he doesn't end up with an early revision because of it.
All I'm doing is sitting on a chair watching my son work-no way could I do anything manual yet.
Like you say-We'll get there.
Right Ceramic THR
8 August 2012

rubyred

• Never Give Up
« Reply #106 on: September 12, 2012, 03:55:50 PM »
I think i'd be OK if this groin pain would go. I can cope with everything else LOL.

Welcome back to life.

Mike D

« Reply #107 on: September 19, 2012, 04:12:45 PM »
I had the six week check up today at Birmingham and the news was good.
I saw Mr Treacy's registrar who told me they 'enjoyed fixing my challenging hip'! It was difficult to do because of my awkward anatomy, but not only has he regained the 10mm leg length difference exactly, he has got back the  slight twist of alignment I had in the femur.
Even looking down at my leg straight after the surgery I could tell I was straighter, but to see the x-ray and have it explained was amazing.
I've got an Oxynium ball in a poly cross- linked liner which he tells me is the most stable, long lasting joint available.
I've done a fair bit of research regarding resurfacing and THR's but not heard of Oxynium so far. I'll be googling it to death now, but If anyone has any info about it, I'd love to hear.

Right Ceramic THR
8 August 2012

rubyred

• Never Give Up
« Reply #108 on: September 20, 2012, 03:44:49 AM »
Glad you had good news, Mike  :)

Welcome back to life.

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #109 on: September 20, 2012, 03:48:16 AM »
That's good news mike! Oxinium is if my memory serves me correctly a metal which has undergone a process which transforms the surface microns into ceramic. Therefore you'll get the benefits of the strength of metal and the low wear of ceramic ;D
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

hernanu

« Reply #110 on: September 20, 2012, 10:06:21 AM »
Great news, Mike!
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Anna

« Reply #111 on: September 20, 2012, 12:32:59 PM »
Yey! Ive just googled your new hip Mike. It looks like a pretty good bit of kit :)

Glad things are going well  :)
RTHR - 08/08/2013 -Mr johan witt, London

kamoynsgi

« Reply #112 on: September 20, 2012, 05:56:07 PM »
Well done Mike, glad you had good news and put your mind at rest.  Its easy to let the doubts and uncertainties take over in the wee small hours so I'm sure that your check up will put your mind at rest.  Ka
L Hip Resurfaced 9 August 2012

Mike D

« Reply #113 on: September 24, 2012, 03:34:11 PM »
Hi all-
Just got back from my first swimming session since surgery-what a great feeling!
I'm still on one crutch as I can't quite walk straight without it yet, but what a difference in the water- apart from the lack of ROM, it felt really strong.
I've been on the exercise bike a fair bit and hopefully get on the road bike at the weekend, so its happy days!
Right Ceramic THR
8 August 2012

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #114 on: September 24, 2012, 03:42:57 PM »
Ah I remember the pool the first time it was lovely!
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

rubyred

• Never Give Up
« Reply #115 on: September 24, 2012, 04:19:58 PM »
It's great isn't it Mike?!

I had my first session last week and although I couldn't manage to swim exactly, being in the water and doing exercises was wonderful :) Going again tomorrow!

Welcome back to life.

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #116 on: September 25, 2012, 03:39:39 AM »
Good on you ruby! That's progress and will really help you recover!
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

Anna

« Reply #117 on: September 25, 2012, 01:06:30 PM »
Woo hoo. Sounds like all is well. Do you all go to walk in pools or can you manage those awful steps?? I may have to change my gym if I ever get an op!!
RTHR - 08/08/2013 -Mr johan witt, London

Mike D

« Reply #118 on: September 25, 2012, 01:20:23 PM »
I went to Yearsley Baths, Anna-I'm sure you know it well!
They have some big steps that they put in place when it's an open swim and I found it easy to get in and out.
Very slippy  round the edges though, made me a bit nervous at first. No probs though.
Right Ceramic THR
8 August 2012

rubyred

• Never Give Up
« Reply #119 on: September 25, 2012, 01:38:21 PM »
Yep, one local pool has a big slope that leads into the centre of the pool. It's a bit tretcherous walking too and from the changing rooms though but I have a friend with me who holds my arm, bless her.

Welcome back to life.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Yesterday at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM