+-

Advertisements

Welcome Back

The Hip Talk Discussion Forum was hacked a few weeks back. It has taken me a long time to fix it. The only backup I could use was way back to April 2020. All members and posts up to that date are available. Anything newer has been lost. I am sorry, but that has been the only way to get things up and running again.

Author Topic: Not a Hippy-but I'm happy  (Read 86826 times)

Mike D

Re: Not a Hippy-but I'm happy
« Reply #60 on: August 24, 2012, 09:12:54 AM »
Santa's a Scotsman?
where did that come from, Sal? A Ken Bruce favourite, I believe!
Right Ceramic THR
Ronan Treacy   Birmingham R.O.H
8 August 2012

Spanielsal

« Reply #61 on: August 24, 2012, 10:10:17 AM »
Am busy deleting it off the iPod, last year it was on continuous repeat! For the first 20 plays it was funny .......

I shall have to write to Ken!
I'm a Hippy Hybrid!  L HR Cormet 2000 - Mr Villar, 12th June 2003 and R Corin mini hip - Mr Villar 7th August 2012

rubyred

• Never Give Up
« Reply #62 on: August 24, 2012, 02:49:43 PM »
I've been a naughty girl with the exercises... done them about twice since i've been home which is a little over a week now. Must do them more!

I've just got a new prescription of Dihydracodeine as since I ran out of what the Hospital gave me, Paracetamol on their own just weren't cutting it, so hopefully should get more rest now.

Been having such a tearful couple of days. Been feeling very low and blue. Had a lovely chat on the phone with Suze last night - a quick chat turned into 3 hours!
LBHR - 9th August 2012 - Mr R. Treacy

Welcome back to life.

hernanu

« Reply #63 on: August 24, 2012, 03:12:04 PM »
The blues will hit you, Ruby - just part of the package, unfortunately, just have to go through them and then tell them to mosey along. Good strategy to talk to friends, watch fun movies.

The exercises helped me with the blues, since I could see the progress, it kept bringing my spirits up.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Spanielsal

« Reply #64 on: August 24, 2012, 03:21:46 PM »
Aw, Ruby, glad Suze was there. Keep the pain meds going, healing happens best when you are not stressed.

If you are very sore you could always do the bed ones? Knee up and back, leg out to side and back plus buttock clenches and towel under knee, straighten leg ( pushing knee into towel). But don't stress about it, the main thing is that you don't get stiffness in the muscles. How was the clip / staples removal?

Fingers crossed the codeine works xxx
I'm a Hippy Hybrid!  L HR Cormet 2000 - Mr Villar, 12th June 2003 and R Corin mini hip - Mr Villar 7th August 2012

rubyred

• Never Give Up
« Reply #65 on: August 24, 2012, 03:23:38 PM »
Thanks Hern, I was trying to prepare myself for the post-op blues as I knew they would hit at some stage. I think being stuck at home and not being able to get out and about has played a part. I've never been a good patient!

Sal - The clip removal was virtually pain free thankfully! I don't know what I was worrying over :) The nurse was very gentle and she actually praised Mr T's handy work and she said most surgeons put the staples far too close together making the removal of them more painful then they need be x

Welcome back to life.

Spanielsal

« Reply #66 on: August 24, 2012, 03:39:19 PM »
It will be easier to do the exercises now you aren't being pinched too, I found that I'd left my exercises alone for the last few days of the clips, due to pulling and pinching.  You sound a wee bit happier, I remember someone's comment about the depression not being able to hit a moving target, being busy helps. I've cleaned out my fish and am sewing now. Walked the 200yrds to school and back today, first time I've made it to the playground since January. All the kids have shot up and there are a few new dogs too (I missed the puppy stage tho :( )

We've invited the neighbours over for a Friday drink too, it's great to start seeing people..... Although they ALL want to see my scar   ::)

Anna

« Reply #67 on: August 25, 2012, 12:43:44 AM »
Show them the scar Sally!!!!

Keep it up Ruby and do them freekin' excersises!!! I totally understand the post surgery blues. Its one of my big worries but you have to think ahead. It will only be a few more weeks till you are out and about again. Try get out for a few little walks. Even if it not far. I thinkt he fresh air will help lots :)

You have my number x x x
RTHR - 08/08/2013 -Mr johan witt, London

Mike D

« Reply #68 on: August 27, 2012, 07:56:19 AM »
Hi all
Looking through the recent posts, it looks like there's a few people struggling a bit on the road to recovery.
Me too, last two days.
I got some awful lower back pain for one night/day but thats ok now thanks to rubbing somw Voltarol gel in-it worked really well.
Once that had passed, just a few comfortable hours later, one of the most painful things to date kicked in-constipation.
Not a pleasant topic for sure, but the pain I had with this yesterday was so great that I wanted to warn anyone not to take it lightly.
With all we've been through, I don't think anyone cares about discussing such an unpleasant thing- anyone suffering-act fast.
I never want to feel that kind of pain again!
Glad to say all is well now-looking forward to getting back to the exercises and progressing again.
I think it was hern who suggested getting a diary going to log progress, I'm gonna give it a go then these setbacks won't seem like a big deal spread over the week.
Right Ceramic THR
8 August 2012

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #69 on: August 27, 2012, 08:14:50 AM »
It's a long hard road mike. I as you know am still having set backs at 9 months. I personally don't care how long the road is so long as I get to the destination where I want to be.
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

Spanielsal

« Reply #70 on: August 27, 2012, 08:41:20 AM »
We'll all get there Danny!

Been there, Mike, yowch, not fun. Lactulose syrup with its unpleasant keep visitors away effects, or dried apricots are the remedies. Or even a very hot curry! Good idea about the diary. I'm going o go and sit in the car over the next few weeks, to practice using the pedals (right foot quite important for us UK drivers!) I reckon building that into the exercise regime will help.

My incision is still pretty sore but I know it's better than last week. Are your exercises going ok? I can't do one of mine as too much pressure on my knees (oh Crikey I'm falling apart!).  :o

Mike D

« Reply #71 on: August 27, 2012, 09:24:24 AM »
Sal-
just been outside doing exercises now as it happens-feels good.
There's a noticeable improvement in how high I can lift my leg by bending at the knee and I find getting in/out of bed easy now which can only be down to the exercises.
I'm not pushing hard at anything though, slow and steady.
I wish we all lived closer and could meet up somewhere-think of the moaning and complaining all in one room!
Keep going you new hippys, we'll all get there-maybe just at different times.
Right Ceramic THR
8 August 2012

Anna

« Reply #72 on: August 27, 2012, 09:25:52 AM »
Ooooh, glad your over that one Mike!!!! It doesnt sound to plesant  ??? Sounds like you are now doing well though.

Thats a great idea Sal, look to the future and start to think about driving. I use to do that as a kid ... I used to sit in the car and pretend to be driving. Great fun. Dont forget to make the brum brum noises Sal or it will not have the same effect!

Anna
RTHR - 08/08/2013 -Mr johan witt, London

Spanielsal

« Reply #73 on: August 27, 2012, 12:16:50 PM »
Heeheee, Brum Brum!

We must all meet up in Anna's pub! UK hippies and hippy hopefuls, just make sure you hide all the space hoppers, Anna, these hippies are a competetive lot, we 'll all end up racing across the car park!  ;D

hernanu

« Reply #74 on: August 27, 2012, 12:32:08 PM »

I think it was hern who suggested getting a diary going to log progress, I'm gonna give it a go then these setbacks won't seem like a big deal spread over the week.

I think that was johnC, one of the awesome hippys here.

rubyred

• Never Give Up
« Reply #75 on: August 27, 2012, 01:48:30 PM »
I'm so looking forward to getting back into my car! It's an automatic so really it shouldn't take that long  ;D

Welcome back to life.

hernanu

« Reply #76 on: August 27, 2012, 03:14:46 PM »
The conditions my surgeon gave me were:

• Can you get in and out of the car without a problem.
  • Can you move your foot from the accelerator to the brake and back smoothly

I got to that point  at about 2, 2 1/2 weeks both times, I was a bit more nervous about the right, since that controls the pedals, but not a problem.

Happy driving, Ruby! how are you  feeling now? How's the stairs and bed, etc.

rubyred

• Never Give Up
« Reply #77 on: August 27, 2012, 03:18:50 PM »
Hi Hern,

Getting better and better each day :) The operated leg still feels like a lead weight though. Be glad when that lightens up.

Welcome back to life.

Spanielsal

« Reply #78 on: August 29, 2012, 07:00:30 AM »
Happy Anniversary Mike!  8)

3 weeks done, how cool is that? Xx

Mike D

« Reply #79 on: August 29, 2012, 12:38:05 PM »
Three weeks already, It has flown by really.
Apart from maybe six long uncomfortable nights and a couple of bad days early on, things have gone well.
I'm trying to phase the strong painkillers out, keep up with the exercises and not sit around too much and so far, it's working out.
I can see how people get tempted into doing too much too soon- I know I could walk easily without the crutches but I'm not gonna try it. Three more weeks and I'll look forward to handing them back in at ROH!
Right Ceramic THR
8 August 2012

Recent Posts

Advertisements

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Accordion Player Pat Webmaster/Owner

Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy

Statcounter

View My Stats