+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Has anyone used AETNA for Belgium Resurfacing?  (Read 4881 times)

Darkboatman

Has anyone used AETNA for Belgium Resurfacing?
« on: August 15, 2012, 12:34:24 AM »
Maybe this has been asked but didnt see it anywhere. Has anyone with PPO Aetna gone to Belgium for resurfacing? I in fact had my right hip done in Belgium back in 2004 and after numerous appeals finally won my case with BC/BS and was reimbursed. That said with FDA approval many are covering but not sure if anyone outright state they will cover out of country? It would seem a cost effective measure proven reliable by now. Anyone have any data whether accomplished with AETNA and how they went about approval?

2004 Resurfacing by Desmet and have played hockey 2 days a week since, snow boarding, running and still going strong. Guess I wore out the natural one and its time to do the left.

Thx for your help!

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Has anyone used AETNA for Belgium Resurfacing?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012, 08:15:52 AM »
Welcome Darkboatman.  Guess you made it to Belgium before me.  I went in 2006 to De Smet.  I did not have insurance at all.

Great to have you here and for you letting people know how active you have been. 

I don't know about the insurance, other than many people have been reimbursed after they get home. They have to pay up front then submit the bills.

Good Luck.  Looking forward to hearing about your second resurfacing.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Darkboatman

Re: Has anyone used AETNA for Belgium Resurfacing?
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2012, 10:35:20 AM »
Thanks Pat have to say this board back in 2004 was a great Network for all of us trying to get more info about resurfacing and get connected. It seems it is an even better tool now with way more information Kudos! Great site lots of great info well organized!

Back in 2004 insurance wasnt an option as you know but after I came back from Belgium I decided I had nothing to lose and made my case for reimbursement. I cited study after study along with hard copies etc. I even had people at BC/BS misinterpret results. In fact one person denying the claim read the results of 2 studies and totally misinterpted results. In the end it was my rebutle to the interpretation that one Doctor sided with me and agreed I was bang on. As I said I kept at it since I hoped for the best and planned for the worst. After winning they pretty much comped me for everything except fight and hotel so it worked out great. Way better than I expected.

Seems even today so many years later not a lot of great improvement in Insurance information or improvements in coverage.  Health Tourism would be a great cost saver to insurers offering their customers more options, best in class service and a means by which to generate great cost savings for thier share holders? Not sure why they are not all over this. We have gone global everywhere else, our manufacturing, software, Customer service etc.  It may be this is one of the last walls to fall and it cant fall quick enough if you ask me.

Anyway a big thanks for this website and your support. Hope to hear from someone with Aetna who has had to do the rope a dope and can provide the footwork they used.

thx

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Yesterday at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal