+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: 2 months post surgery and recovering well  (Read 8376 times)

jono

2 months post surgery and recovering well
« on: August 16, 2012, 06:03:20 PM »
On Tuesday I had a LBHR by Dr Gaston in Edinburgh. Today I went for a quiet walk with my crutches by the Clyde in Glasgow without a limp for the first time in 3 years.

When I first went for an X-ray at the start of the year I was told that THR was the best approach but the more I read this site and the more research I did the more I was convinced about HR. I insisted on a BHR and 6 months later after switching surgeon here I am.

I am 47 male and very active. I swim, cycle and play most sports. I have so many hopes for my BHR but also an understanding of the journey I face. The most incredible thing is not even knowing it is implanted in me. My muscles are sore but my hip is as quiet as can be.

Dr Gaston's registrar was from Switzerland and confessed that they do almost no HRs. It amazes me that such a great device is not used more. This site is a god send to many people out across the world. Please keep it up.

« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 05:04:22 AM by jono »
Gaston LBHR   14/08/12

rbt2011

Re: 2 days post op thanks to everyone at surface hippy
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2012, 08:50:15 PM »
Congrats jono.  Glad to hear you are feeling good. 

Best wishes for a great recovery.
Right side BHR 11/29/2011

hernanu

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2012, 10:32:07 PM »
Congrats and welcome, Jono - I'll echo Rob, best wishes; you have taken a great step for yourself.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2012, 04:38:21 AM »
Congrats Jono hope that you have a full and swift recovery.
Danny
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

rubyred

• Never Give Up
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2012, 05:58:49 AM »
Welcome to the other side, Jono! Wishing you a speedy recovery.x
LBHR - 9th August 2012 - Mr R. Treacy

Welcome back to life.

jono

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2012, 07:52:17 AM »
thanks for all the support. I will let you know how it goes.

Day 3 post op, still feeling very sore at hip, cut my pain meds to paracetemol and starting to learn how to live without bending the left knee. Is sleeping on your back the only solution?
Gaston LBHR   14/08/12

rubyred

• Never Give Up
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2012, 08:01:00 AM »
I don't sleep too good sleeping on my back either, but to be honest I'm not even going to attempt to sleep on either side as it doesn't feel safe too and i'm 8 days post op now.

Welcome back to life.

Anna

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2012, 11:39:43 AM »
Nice one Jono. Very pleased for you  ;D
RTHR - 08/08/2013 -Mr johan witt, London

Spanielsal

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2012, 11:56:15 AM »
Hey Jono, I'm struggling with sleeping on my back too. Woke up continually desperate to try and move onto my side or face down. I'm now banked up into almost sitting up and taking a sleeping pill. Can't wait to lose the restrictions. There is a big wedge you can buy, I almost ordered one. Its on a futon website. http://www.futonsfirst.co.uk/productinfo.php?product=227&PHPSESSID=9d672aea70cd74cc7ab244cec31d5760 but I figured I might be able to live without it. Not sure if that really was the right move but we'll see. They can only be delivered in the uk though. Cheers. Sal x
I'm a Hippy Hybrid!  L HR Cormet 2000 - Mr Villar, 12th June 2003 and R Corin mini hip - Mr Villar 7th August 2012

hernanu

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2012, 12:20:16 PM »
I just put one or two pillows under both knees and that made things tolerable. It is a pain; it has also ingrained itself on my habits, I now wake up to find myself sleeping on my back quite a bit.

bilateralbliss

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2012, 12:03:01 AM »
Hi Juno, try two pillows under your knees, one between them, if necessary one beneath your heels. I found when knees were bent was more comfortable. A firm bed helps too.
Bilateral BHR Dr McMinn 6Dec2011
Birmingham

kamoynsgi

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2012, 04:44:45 AM »
Hi Jono, congratulations and well done for your walk 2 days post op.  Sleep is so important to recovery, its no wonder that we struggle to get as comfy as possible.  Advice I was given was to sleep on my back but most importantly to make sure not to cross my operated leg.  Early days, just getting in to bed and into position is challenging but make use of pillows etc to make sure your position is comfy.  I found that one of the squishy travel cushions helped.

Ka
L Hip Resurfaced 9 August 2012

jono

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2012, 04:24:51 PM »
Well it is my first week anniversary today. Thanks for all the mesaages of support.

Hip still sore but getting better every day. Use 1 stick around the house but still on 2 when outside. Go for two walks of about 1 mile each day.

Sleeping better each night and have my regime in place. Take paracetemol before bed and water. Take ice pack surround with towel and place next to hip. Sleep on back only. Every 2 to 3 hours I wake up and move my legs about to get circulation going, drink water and adjust ice pack. In morning I eat an apple before I get up to avoid nausea.

I was wondering if there was any advice on stretching exercises I could do for the next couple of weeks?

Gaston LBHR   14/08/12

rubyred

• Never Give Up
Re: 1 week post op thanks to everyone at surface hippy
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2012, 05:43:03 PM »
Well done on progressing to 1 stick so soon! I'm on strict orders to remain partial weight bearing on 2 crutches for 6 weeks, or until I see Mr Treacy again.

I have the exercises that I was discharged from physio with, if you'd like those?

Stand straight, holding on to a solid support
Bring your operated leg backwards, keeping the knee straight. Do not lean forwards. Repeat x10

Stand straight, holding on to a solid support
Lift your operated leg sideways and bring it back keeping your back straight throughout the exercise. Repeat x10

Stand. Hold on to a solid support
Bend your knee on the operated side and lift your foot off the floor. Hold for 3 secs. Repeat x10

Stand. Holding on to a solid support
Bend your hip and knee up (no more than 90 degrees) then return to the floor. Repeat x10

Sit on a chair.
Pull your toes up, tighten your thigh muscle and straighten your knee on the operated leg. Hold approx 5 secs then return to the floor. Repeat x10

Hope that helps somewhat.

Welcome back to life.

imgetinold

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2012, 04:31:40 PM »
Congrats, Jono.  I'm late to the party here, but don't get too worried about pushing the exercise too early.  Dr. Gross has his patients do only the following for the first two weeks:

Foot pumps (to help prevent clotting) 3-4x per day.
Heel slides, 2 sets of 10 per day. (While laying on your back, slide your heel towards your buttocks on the operated side).
Clamshell:  On your back with both knees bent, open your knees to a comfortable amount, and return together.
Walking:  Up to one mile.

After six weeks, he adds leg lifts to this, plus allows walking as much as you want.

At 4 months I went to PT, and - for me - one of the BEST exercises that helped "tighten up" the hip capsule was this:  On your back, bring your heels together and towards your butt, so your knees are up.  keeping your feet in place, lift you pelvis up until your thighs and torso are straight, and hold for a count of five.

I wouldn't do that at two weeks, though.  Does your surgeon suggest PT? 
Andy
- Right Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 1/11/2012
- Left Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 10/28/2020

BOILER UP!

jono

« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2012, 02:42:27 PM »
Well here I am almost 2 weeks post op. Thanks to everyone for the advice.

Getting stronger every day. I had been so focussed on my hip I forgot about the surgery itself which knocked me back with the immune response. My brother who is a surgeon says this response takes 2 weeks to complete and then you need to watch your weight as it will balloon very fast.

My hip is fine and I walk on 1 crutch all the time. My leg is still swollen though and my knee bend is 15 degrees at best. Keeping my leg up for a bit and hope the swelling will go away as other posters suggest.

Both excited and scared about the future. So want it to work well but don't want to set expectations too high. Just taking it one day at a time.

Gaston LBHR   14/08/12

hernanu

« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2012, 02:58:17 PM »
That's a very good attitude, jono. I'd raise that leg as much as possible initially, the elevation really helps the swelling, etc. as long as it's tied into icing. Are you icing regularly?

bilateralbliss

« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2012, 09:10:34 PM »
Good to read you`re doing well jono, slow and easy is the best way :)
Bilateral BHR Dr McMinn 6Dec2011
Birmingham

jono

Re: 1 week post op thanks to everyone at surface hippy (now 3 weeks)
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2012, 01:44:44 PM »
Well here I am almost on 3 weeks. Life gets better every day.

Slept through the night for the first time and apart from small nap at mid afternoon feel alive all day. My medicine is down to three 500ml paracetemols a day plus the indometacin. Using 1 crutch all the time now and can stand up without crutches and shuffle about.

Managed to get dressed today by myself without the grabber as I can bend my knee enough. Then went for mile walk with crutch to my local coffee shop. I have a little back pack I carry with me all the time when out to hold things such as the Sunday paper I bought.

Still sore around the incision point but no itching. The wound is healing well and no redness. I am told the sutures were done well but cant see for myself obviously. Knee is still blown up but going down each day. Still wear a compression stocking all the time.

Next week big changes. I get an automatic 4*4 with high seat to drive on Monday as my doctor and insurance company think it is OK. I also can start physio at my local health club. Taking it seriously and going to used a trained professional with all the qualifications plus taking it easy. Going to tell him to look at this site first before setting up my program.

Starting back at work as well on phased return. I work in the medtech industry and it is interesting seeing it from the other side as a patient. The industry is in a state of flux at the moment and the problems of the Depuy ASR are a hot topic. I am a great believer in open information and this website is a great tool in that regards in telling the whole story both good and bad. How many other surface hippies would not have had the courage to go ahead without this site? I am definitely one.
Gaston LBHR   14/08/12

Spanielsal

Re: 1 week post op thanks to everyone at surface hippy (now 3 weeks)
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2012, 03:38:06 PM »
Another happy hippy. Sounds like you are doing well Jono, congratulations
I'm a Hippy Hybrid!  L HR Cormet 2000 - Mr Villar, 12th June 2003 and R Corin mini hip - Mr Villar 7th August 2012

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat