+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Drain site not healed 2weeks post op  (Read 2886 times)

Spanielsal

Drain site not healed 2weeks post op
« on: August 20, 2012, 11:20:27 AM »
Hi all,

Has any one else had a hole left in their leg from the drain site? My staples are due out tomorrow, I do have an irrational fear of the wound reopening, but am mostly concerned at why this hole is not closing up. Im self injecting the clexane anti DVT medicine as directed for 28 days post op. any news of other's experiences would be great for reassurance. Thanks! Sal

I'm a Hippy Hybrid!  L HR Cormet 2000 - Mr Villar, 12th June 2003 and R Corin mini hip - Mr Villar 7th August 2012

hernanu

Re: Drain site not healed 2weeks post op
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 01:10:26 PM »
I had a drain on my left, Sal - two holes instead of one. I see no evidence of them now, they seemed to evaporate from my mind fairly quickly, so not really an issue. Get in touch with your surgeon's office and see what they say. Anti coagulants slow wound healing, so that may be affecting it. I wouldn't worry, but talk to them.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Spanielsal

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012, 01:43:16 PM »
Thanks Hern, spoke to my GP who suggested that the nurse take out every second staple and then takes out the rest three days later. I'll ring the surgeons office tomorrow. Thanks for the reassurance! X
I'm a Hippy Hybrid!  L HR Cormet 2000 - Mr Villar, 12th June 2003 and R Corin mini hip - Mr Villar 7th August 2012

Spanielsal

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2012, 08:02:17 AM »
I'm just completing this thread incase someone else has this issue in future. Staples are out, wound is fine. Drain site still gaping but it has an iodine patch and a dressing. The nurse said it would have been deep hence the slow healing, I'm to keep it covered, dry and clean.  If it causes me more problems I'll re-post but it was mostly my irrational fears!    ???

rubyred

• Never Give Up
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2012, 08:12:02 AM »
Off topic a little here, but does it hurt when the clips are removed? Mine are due out tomorrow and I'm a bit of a scaredy cat! xx
LBHR - 9th August 2012 - Mr R. Treacy

Welcome back to life.

Spanielsal

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2012, 08:26:27 AM »
No more than a nettle sting, a small pull then pricking sensation for a few hours after. I had little blood spots along the holes. Nice to finally stop sitting on them! You'll be fine Ruby, I was a bit trepidatious too...

hernanu

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2012, 10:12:35 AM »
I'm just completing this thread incase someone else has this issue in future. Staples are out, wound is fine. Drain site still gaping but it has an iodine patch and a dressing. The nurse said it would have been deep hence the slow healing, I'm to keep it covered, dry and clean.  If it causes me more problems I'll re-post but it was mostly my irrational fears!    ???

Nothing irrational about it, Sal - just another step and you resolved it. All of this will calm the minds of others who follow and have the same issues.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat