+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Groin / inner thigh pain  (Read 5450 times)

Kiwi

Groin / inner thigh pain
« on: August 21, 2012, 11:16:55 PM »
I'm nearly 9 months post op now & for a while I've had groin pain – at least that's what I think it is. I only get the pain now and again - I'm fine sitting, walking, doing stairs (in fact most things), but it's more in certain positions I notice something def not quite right. E.g. Sitting cross legged, really stretching out when walking or doing a groin stretch.

Is this more likely to be a result of my BHR operation or years of poor gait pre op ...or combo of both?

I know there's a lot of info on this throughout the site on this topic - too much too sift through! I'd like to hear from any others that have experienced similar and what remedies they put in place to help improve this type of pain / restriction?

btw - I'm picking up an exercycle tomorrow which might help loosen things up.....

Cheers in advance
Kiwi
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 11:22:00 PM by Kiwi »
LBHR 11/23/2011
56mm Head
Hugh Blackley (BHR Trained with Ronan Treacy)
Use it or lose it!

hernanu

Re: Groin / inner thigh pain
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2012, 09:49:06 AM »
Hey Simon - sorry you're feeling this, I think I had somewhat the same things. I actually had this doing stairs on my right leg (my left has been a brute - nothing bothers it) at about your time. It is gone now, but I have noticed that side was the weaker of the two.

It could be a psoas muscle that's not quite stretched enough, could be scar tissue that has not been worked out yet. You mention that it's only an issue when reaching a full extension, so it sounds like a muscular issue that may come from the operation.

Here's one discussion that may help:

http://surfacehippy.info/hiptalk/recovery-issues/front-crease-discomfort-%28psoas%29/msg29350/?topicseen#msg29350

I treated it like any other muscle that needs some stretching:

• Stop at the sign of any pain, but stretch it to the point of tautness
  • I bought very good walking shoes. I wanted to help my gait / weaker muscles as much as possible.
  • Clamshells, side leg lifts. Keep at'em even though you feel good. That core needs loving attention.
  • Massage. Either with a professional, on your own (rolling a tennis ball on the groin area helped me), or both.

Hope you feel better in this, but I'm glad that the rest seems good.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Kiwi

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2012, 06:19:12 PM »
Hey Hern -you're as reliable as ever  :) good to hear from you mate. How are things going with you - still playing soccer or has the season finished there?
I think you could be on the money with the Psoas muscle as it would also explain my often lower back pain & inability to do a sit up !? I've been a bit slack on the exercises of late. I still do the stairs, play golf & have had the odd game of squash (just length game - no running yet), so I've been otherwise really good but this is my main lingering pain - and it's not excrutiating. Picking up an exercycle today for a month - mainly to work some other muscles. Treadmill will be next.
I have a massage every 2-3 weeks and he's working on loosening up the hip capsule & inner thigh. I'll will def talk to him about the Psoas.
Last visit he triggered the pain by simply moving my foot outwards whilst lieing down!
LBHR 11/23/2011
56mm Head
Use it or lose it!

hernanu

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2012, 12:47:27 PM »
Normally I would still be playing, but we lost our field and are in the hunt for another; otherwise we play until the snow hits (about November, December). I'm doing a lot more kicking the heavy bag, core stuff, weights and am being drafted into yoga by a very aggressive yoga instructor at my work.

After your post, I was trying different stretches, etc. that would cause any discomfort in that area as a test - not overstretching, just seeing what would give me a twinge. There is one exercise that I do, where I do a kick slowly and hold it extended. I tried several different kicks, the one that gave me a slight twinge was a front kick on my right (less capable child): as I extended it to its full extent and held it suspended, I felt a bit of inner groin irritation.

It went away the moment I released the leg, but it was there. I tried it on the left, no problem - it seems that I need a little work on this, so will do what I can to make that side act as the left does. So even after two years, there are little twinges there if you look for them. I don't mind improving things, though.

If you look at the physiology of the psoas, it is attached at the groin area, but goes through to the lower back. It could be that the lower back pain is tied to psoas irritation.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 12:51:50 PM by hernanu »

Kiwi

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2012, 03:46:51 PM »
Hey Hern, Sounds like your patient & thorough approach to rehab is really paying off. You're doing great.

After you initial post, I did some googling research as I knew nothing about the Psoas muscle. I came across this site:
http://www.squidoo.com/psoas
It has some great info about the Psoas muscle, but check out the You Tube clip "Unravelling The Psoas Muscle On Land - Using A Chair - Liz Koch" and let me know what you think.
I have done this ecxercise a few times now & really think it might be working. Who knows - it could be the reason I've had mid/lower back pain for years leading up to and post op. Perhaps the restriction of movement OA caused on my Psoas muscle has been the issue all along!? Anyway it does feel good & somewhat relieving when I do this exercise, so I'll continue with it and see where it leads.

Cheers again for your help mate & I'd be interested to know if this exercise has any positive results for your inner groin irritation.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 03:52:31 PM by Kiwi »
LBHR 11/23/2011
56mm Head
Use it or lose it!

hernanu

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2012, 04:34:27 PM »
Will definitely try it, even have a chair I can use. The irritation I feel really is almost nonexistent, just found it testing all sorts of movements. Always open to try new stuff, though and it looks like good movement for a muscle that is not easy to address.

I'm glad it's helping you.

Anna

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2012, 05:17:39 PM »
Wow, now it all makes sense! Ive just looked at that link. I didnt realise we had such huge muscles linking the groin, hips AND lower back. That explains why so many of us hippies have back and groin problems. Its quite amazing  ;D

I hope your new exercises help

Anna
RTHR - 08/08/2013 -Mr johan witt, London

rubyred

• Never Give Up
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2012, 10:40:40 AM »
I learned all about the psoas muscle from my chiropractor. Amazing how everything is connected down there x
LBHR - 9th August 2012 - Mr R. Treacy

Welcome back to life.

Kiwi

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2012, 08:39:55 PM »
Sure is incredibly amazing how it's all connected - and to some very important parts of the body. Wouldn't be difficult to aggravate during surgery, given they dislocate your leg...!?
According to the link it can take a long time to release / free up the Psoas muscle. As mentioned, I'm already finding some relief when doing the exercise, though the groin niggle is still there - but it very early days!
Good to work on these things. I'm going to have a chat with my Sports massage guy tomorrow about the muscle & see if he has any release techniques of his own.
LBHR 11/23/2011
56mm Head
Use it or lose it!

bilateralbliss

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2012, 10:52:46 PM »
I`d never heard of it till Hern showed me before. Dread to think where we`d be without his knowledge and help  :)
Bilateral BHR Dr McMinn 6Dec2011
Birmingham

Kiwi

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2012, 12:19:34 AM »
Hern is a legend. He's been so helpful, reliable & informative from the first time I entered this site in May 2011.
LBHR 11/23/2011
56mm Head
Use it or lose it!

Anna

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2012, 05:17:18 AM »
Arise Sir Hern!!!!  ;)

hernanu

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2012, 08:23:08 AM »
Arise Sir Hern!!!!  ;)

Hey, I just arose, due to my awesome hips I did it twice again just to show off.

Anna

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2012, 12:18:32 PM »
Excellent!!  8)

bilateralbliss

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2012, 08:47:47 PM »
Arise Sir Hern!!!!  ;)

Hey, I just arose, due to my awesome hips I did it twice again just to show off.

Such a witty, nice Knight too :)
Bilateral BHR Dr McMinn 6Dec2011
Birmingham

Kiwi

« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2012, 12:30:02 AM »
After over 2000 posts you should be given Knighthood status.... or just random compliments from folk throughout the world ;D
LBHR 11/23/2011
56mm Head
Use it or lose it!

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Today at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
Yesterday at 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal