+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: swelling  (Read 3162 times)

jesswhelan

swelling
« on: August 26, 2012, 02:49:21 PM »
Hello everyone,

I am a 28 year old male who underwent BHR on my left hip on June 13, 2012.  I was 6 weeks 75% weight bearing on crutches and then at around the 7 week mark I hit about a dozen golf shots from 100 yards away.  The next day I noticed some swelling in my hip and it is now 9 weeks post op and still very swollen.  Can anyone tell me if they are having any swelling like me at 9 weeks or if I did any damage by hitting the golf balls?? My Physician Assistant said no and has scheduled me to see my surgeon on Sept. 18.  I am just concerned because prior to swinging the club that day I had no swelling at all.

bilateralbliss

Re: swelling
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2012, 10:46:12 PM »
Hi, my guess is the golf made your muscles say "too soon." Rest and ice till you`re back as you were before the golf (that`s what I was told anyway). Am sure all is fine, best to check with the doctor for your own peace of mind :)
Bilateral BHR Dr McMinn 6Dec2011
Birmingham

metoo

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 02:28:07 PM »
If you were hitting a ball 100yds then you probably needed a 1/2 or 3/4 swing.  There is a lot of hip action and pivot in the golf swing.  That swing is probably programmed into your subconscious and once you start the swing your body is going to attempt a "normal" swing.  Your left hip is going to pivot to the inside during the swing (a definite no-no early on).  Unless you were swinging in slow motion, you may not have enough control over the movement for being 7 weeks post op.

I think odds favour that the swelling is not due to a problem with the device itself, but I would still find it hard to wait two weeks until the Dr appointment. 

Best wishes.

Right hip.  Dr Gross, 5/16/2012

jesswhelan

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2012, 08:23:38 PM »
Thank you for the advice.  In the meantime before I see my doctor does anyone know if massaging the area that is swollen is recommended? I would think that it would help disperse some of the fluid??

bilateralbliss

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2012, 09:06:29 PM »
Hernano would know more. All I can say is ice, ice and ice whist resting!
Bilateral BHR Dr McMinn 6Dec2011
Birmingham

hernanu

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2012, 10:48:25 PM »
I'd go with bliss's recommendation. Ice Ice baby... (apologies to the 80's). Wouldn't think a light massage would hurt, anything to get some blood flow to the area.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

lycraman

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2012, 10:50:23 AM »
just had my second day of physio after resurfacing in Birmingham with Mr Treacy 48 hours ago.  I discussed swelling with physio and she echoed the comment from above that it can come and go and is usually an indication from the body that you've pushed things on a bit. I'd take it easy for a couple of days and put the clubs away for a while (I've locked my bike up to avoid the temptation when I get home!)
Left Birmingham Hip Resurfacing
11th September 2012
Mr Ronan Treacy 54mm head 60mm cup

rubyred

• Never Give Up
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2012, 11:27:48 AM »
I've noticed my swelling comes and goes a little and i'm 5 weeks post op now. Yesterday, I'd done a little bit more walking than I had been doing and last night, my left foot was elephant shaped!
LBHR - 9th August 2012 - Mr R. Treacy

Welcome back to life.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat