+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: recovery  (Read 2704 times)

lyn

recovery
« on: August 26, 2012, 09:17:52 PM »
Is HR generally a quicker recovery than a total hip replacement. I couldn't remember past discussions. I'm having surgery on Wednesday with Dr. Gross. My time has come.   Lyn

bilateralbliss

Re: recovery
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2012, 10:40:50 PM »
Great news Lyn. It actually takes longer, for the simple reason it`s more like your own hip, thus you are allowed more movement which entails muscles etc to return to normal. This is overall. In the aspect of when you are able to do usual everyday activities, probably sooner, depends on your surgeons view, ie I had the 6 week 90 degree rule,which many don`t.
With a THR you will never be able to get back to the level and freedom a BHR allows you. Of course everyone is different. Good luck for thursday :)
Bilateral BHR Dr McMinn 6Dec2011
Birmingham

hernanu

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2012, 11:01:31 PM »
Finally, right lyn? Excellent news. Keep us posted.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Woodstock Hippy

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2012, 03:55:09 AM »
In my opinion, a HR takes longer to recover because it's a more invasive surgery than a THR.  The surgeon has to make a fairly large incision, dislocate the joint, stretch the muscles, bend the leg out of the way and then do the work on the joint.  With a THR, especially a minimumally invasive THR, they do much less cutting to work on the joint.

It's well worth the longer, tougher recovery with the HR though because the results are so much better.

Good luck with your surgery.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 03:56:18 AM by Woodstock Hippy »
Bilateral, Dr Scott Marwin, NYU Joint Disease Hosp, 11/15/11

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2012, 04:18:30 AM »
I'd say its more invasive on the soft tissues but way way more conservative on the actual joint and bone. I think yes the recovery is longer with HR but OT potentially will last a lot longer and will allow a full activity level so I think it's worth it.
Danny
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

Spanielsal

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2012, 04:31:04 AM »
Being a hybrid, I thought I'd jump in. Whilst I don't have a BHR (boo :( ) I have a resurfacing which the surgeon said might last 20yrs or might last indefinately whilst my body doesn't reject it. I have metal allergies which are mild but increasing. My mini hip will behave like a normal THR but removed less bone, I've been given a life expectancy of possibly 15 years for it, although it s my business to prove them wrong!  The THR recovery is quicker as Danny and Woodstock say, but (by how much?) once it's settled, it s the best performer. So, good luck Lyn, you'll soon be on the other side.

Be prepared for the recovery ups and downs and don't expect too much from yourself too soon.

Sal x
I'm a Hippy Hybrid!  L HR Cormet 2000 - Mr Villar, 12th June 2003 and R Corin mini hip - Mr Villar 7th August 2012

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2012, 04:50:10 AM »
I'd be interested in knowing what the 15 year life expectancy is based on sal. It was my understanding that it used to be based on the old metal on plastic hips as each movement caused wear so eventually the plastic liner would wear out. It's my understanding that certainly modern materials like delta ceramic will never wear out. And with constant advancement in things like stems the old issue of stress shielding and therefore aseptic loosening will be less so surely 15 year predicted life spans are pretty pessimistic?
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

Spanielsal

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2012, 05:07:38 AM »
Not sure what it's based on, Danny, I don't have delta motion, but do have large headed ceramic on poly. I hope it is pessimistic, but they give you the spiel just before you go into surgery and my mind was trying to cope with the pre op nerves so I probably didn't take it all in. I'll ask again at the 6 week check.

Lyn, I missed out, in my post, that once settled the BHR is the best performer. Oops  :D
I'm a Hippy Hybrid!  L HR Cormet 2000 - Mr Villar, 12th June 2003 and R Corin mini hip - Mr Villar 7th August 2012

Anna

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2012, 05:10:40 AM »
Im surprised at 15 years. Thats does worry me slightly. I thought the old ones had a 15 year life (Unless thats just for old people!) In any case, I think you will prove them wrong Sally. Yours will last until your 90 I reckon!

Lyn, good luck with your operation. I hope everything goes well and please keep us updated!  :)
RTHR - 08/08/2013 -Mr johan witt, London

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2012, 05:40:33 AM »
Sal I'm sure the head that's in your mini hip will be delta ceramic. All the photos I've seen of the mini hip show the pink ceramic I think that's due to one of the oxides used to make delta ceramic.
I think that 15 years is pretty pessimistic
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

Spanielsal

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2012, 08:11:24 AM »
I Think they give you the negatives just before surgery to give you an opt out clause. The guy said you will out live your prosthesis so you will need another one. Someone else, another registrar said approx 15yrs. The Corin mini hip is quite new, I am definitely keeping it till I'm ninety! Positive thinking! I'll try and post a piccy of my new hip on my own thread - sorry to hijack yours, Lyn!

hernanu

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2012, 08:19:56 AM »
I was talking to a guy I work with; he knew I'd had resurfacing, so he told me that he'd had two THRs put in.  His first one he had done 17 years ago, the other about 5 years ago.

We talked a bit about how he was feeling, and he mentioned that he had been told that he would probably need a revision at 15 years or so. He said he felt fine, but was ready to do a revision if it was called for. He walked fine, no visible limp or anything, so I think the judge is out on it.

Here's the cumulative revision rates from the Australian registry (2010) , compiled up to ten years:

THR - 6.4%, HR - 7.7%.

That is for all surgeons, all patients, experienced surgeons and not so much, etc. It is also cumulative, so it adds up the total failures over the 10 years. So we're looking at everyone, from those that failed at the first year to the tenth.

One thing I learned in my few years as a biochemist, that you can do some prediction of the future based on the data that is graphed. The graph type that I see is asymptotic, so it doesn't rise the same amount every year, rather it is flattening out. Which means to me that the rate of revisions is more likely to remain constant as the years go on.

There obviously will be more revisions, but the bulk of us will go on (queue Titanic music here  ::) ), and this for me is where faith and hope walk right in that door. I'm ready for a revision if it's called for, but hopeful that I can ride these babies into the sunset.

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2012, 08:22:07 AM »
Thats some good data there hern :)
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

Spanielsal

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2012, 08:27:04 AM »
Yay, thanks Hern, I'm hopeful. 
Quote from: hernanu link=topic=4003.msg38350#msg38350 date=
 that I can ride these babies into the sunset.

[/quote
  ;) 8)

Spanielsal

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2012, 08:28:33 AM »
Hmm, still not mastered the technology but I guess you can see what I meant!

Anna

« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2012, 01:17:19 PM »
Thanks Hern  :)
RTHR - 08/08/2013 -Mr johan witt, London

Tin Soldier

« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2012, 04:32:59 PM »
And oh so poetic, "riding these babies into the sunset"

Hey Lyn - good news, congrats, and as Sal points out, don't expect too much out of recovery. 

Also, Pritchett just told me that my next checkup will be in 4 years, because almost all metallosis cases happen within the first 4 years of an HR.  I see an asymptotic line if I visualize the data (not actually looking at any data) and it's with regards to age of the device.  I think that's something we should keep in mind.  The number of revisons should peter out after 4 years.

I also think if you hear someone reference 15 yrs for age of the BHR, it might simply be based on the age of the data set and not actually the length of survivorship of the prosthesis.  Just keep watching McMinn's dataset and in about 4 more years I suspect we will be seeing a fully supported study saying that 98% of his 4000 or more hips are 20 years old and going strong (from the McMinn Center).  Not to mention other datasets that will all be very similar.    In short, there is very little information to support that an HR will crap out in 15 years. 
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

bilateralbliss

« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2012, 09:28:46 PM »
Hern, you sure do have a great way with words :) Thanks again.
Sal, you are not alone- I`m totally lost on the technical terms!
Bilateral BHR Dr McMinn 6Dec2011
Birmingham

Spanielsal

« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2012, 01:57:46 AM »
Phew, was feeling a bit technophobe!

It's TOMORROW!  Good luck Lyn!  Pack some baby wipes, I found them useful. We'll all be thinking of you xx

hernanu

« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2012, 12:40:35 PM »
Good luck tomorrow, lyn - keep us posted, you'll be in great hands.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat