+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Too many risk factors for BHR?  (Read 1785 times)

calamityjane

Too many risk factors for BHR?
« on: August 30, 2012, 10:24:01 PM »
I have just been diagnosed with AVN and arthritis of R hip. I am so determined to stay active as a runner; I can do no other exercise as I have bad knees for biking, weights, elliptical, skiing, skating, but I can run up steep hilly trails and ease down, getting enough of the vigor of running.
But my stats look like a resurfacing-disaster waiting to happen--AVN, osteopenia, small-boned, thin, age 51, not menopausal yet.  Dr. Michael Clarke in Syracuse told me the unfavorable stats for my case, nevertheless saying that he has done numerous cases worse than me who are doing fine.  The anecdotal info that he has doesn't match the bad stats, so he is willing to resurface if I want it badly enough, although 30% of my cases have failure in five yrs.

Help!! I know there are runners and athletes here. You know how much I want to run, even lightly, like 5 miles a week.  I am afraid of failure or femoral fracture, and  terrified of persistent post op tendon/ligament trouble, which I seem to be prone to anyway. But I won't be able to do anything but swim(yuck!!!)if I have a total replacement.

Do any of you have anything to offer that will help my decision?

ALso, I don't see anyone here who has used Clarke; he trained in UK, 2000 resurfacings to date. Are there any concerns over him? I am beginning to wonder why none of his patients weigh in on these boards or testimonies.

Thanks much

obxpelican

Re: Too many risk factors for BHR?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2012, 11:37:44 PM »
I would contact Dr. Gross in Columbia SC, he's done a lot of AVN and other difficult cases with a lot of luck.

Some docs don't like to do the difficult jobs.

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

bilateralbliss

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2012, 11:45:19 PM »
Mr Mcminn is working on a new BHR purely for women, good news anyway is you are not overweight!
Bilateral BHR Dr McMinn 6Dec2011
Birmingham

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2012, 01:05:23 AM »
Speak to McMinn the BMHR was designed with AVN in mind
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

Tin Soldier

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2012, 04:59:39 PM »
Like others have said, I would get a few more opinions from other experienced docs. You might do a search on the forum for AVN and see if there is a little more info you can dig through.  I've certainly seen posts similar to yours and I think there a number of folks with similar issues which have had good success.  Good luck.
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2012, 05:16:46 PM »
Hi
I would try to get several other opinons.  You can try Dr. Su of NY He does a lot of difficult cases.  Dr. Gross of SC - email him and he will call you in a few weeks.  Dr. Brooks of the Cleveland Clinic.

Check my list of experienced hip resurfacing surgeons to get several other opinons.  It is always good to get more input.  Even the top surgeons in the world like McMinn and De Smet and Bose will sometimes disagree on who is a candidate or not.

http://www.surfacehippy.info/listofdoctors.php

Most people do have to travel to have their hip resurfacings since there are not a lot of really experienced surgeons.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat